Author Topic: So I'm a video game critic now.  (Read 20544 times)

Soske

• Head of City Security
  • Legend Killer
    • View Profile
    • Soske Reviews
Re: So I'm a video game critic now.
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2012, 03:09:41 PM »
I kicked off the new year with Soul Calibur V.

http://soskereviews.blogspot.com/2012/02/soul-calibur-v.html

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2012, 05:05:54 PM »

Saw the Collectors Edition of this at the local Best Buy today. Looked like a sweet package. Additional items include an artbook, a 'making of' DVD, and some sort of DLC for costumes. However, after seeing your review, I'm more convinced than ever that this special edition is made with the.. soul intention (pun intended) to help boast sales of a mediocre game. The creators may've thought, "We went below ours and the fans' projected expectations, so we'd best come up with a X percentage of special editions to make up for it in sales. Fans of Soul Calibur will eat it up like candy and we'll still be doing good in overall sales." Gotta wonder sometimes. O_o

Good review!

Soske

• Head of City Security
  • Legend Killer
    • View Profile
    • Soske Reviews
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2012, 06:04:06 PM »

Saw the Collectors Edition of this at the local Best Buy today. Looked like a sweet package. Additional items include an artbook, a 'making of' DVD, and some sort of DLC for costumes. However, after seeing your review, I'm more convinced than ever that this special edition is made with the.. soul intention (pun intended) to help boast sales of a mediocre game. The creators may've thought, "We went below ours and the fans' projected expectations, so we'd best come up with a X percentage of special editions to make up for it in sales. Fans of Soul Calibur will eat it up like candy and we'll still be doing good in overall sales." Gotta wonder sometimes. O_o

Good review!

Thanks!  Yeah they were ridiculously lazy with that one.  Also, Kingdoms of Amalur http://soskereviews.blogspot.com/2012/02/kingdoms-of-amalur.html

Soske

• Head of City Security
  • Legend Killer
    • View Profile
    • Soske Reviews
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2012, 11:34:30 AM »
Reviewed Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2 http://lordk.at/2j

Lord Il

• Spam Master
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2012, 07:07:58 PM »
I was wondering if you'd make a review of this one.

One of my nephews got this as soon as it hit the local EB Games store last Thursday. Apparently he got various character skins at the NIS America site and currently has Nepgear looking like Black Rock Shooter. Haven't seen the quality of these costumes yet.

I like the humor and colorful personalities in these Hyperdimension games which makes them fun and enjoyable to play. Compa's battle cries annoyed the hell out of me the first time and I've heard there's more of the same in this latest game. Oh well. lol!

Soske

• Head of City Security
  • Legend Killer
    • View Profile
    • Soske Reviews
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2012, 03:27:03 AM »

One of my nephews got this as soon as it hit the local EB Games store last Thursday. Apparently he got various character skins at the NIS America site and currently has Nepgear looking like Black Rock Shooter. Haven't seen the quality of these costumes yet.

I like the humor and colorful personalities in these Hyperdimension games which makes them fun and enjoyable to play. Compa's battle cries annoyed the hell out of me the first time and I've heard there's more of the same in this latest game. Oh well. lol!

Compa's battle cries are pretty much the same, but you don't need to have her in your party since you can easily buy a lot of healing items, especially if you use the free money DLC.  Yes, there's free DLC that if you download all three will give you 3.1 million in game monnies.

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2012, 07:05:57 AM »
That's kind of odd, but at least it's free. I hate it when games charge money for cheats. Dead Rising 2: Off The Record and Saints Row The Third were just shameless about that.

Lord Il

• Spam Master
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2012, 04:18:00 PM »

Compa's battle cries are pretty much the same, but you don't need to have her in your party since you can easily buy a lot of healing items, especially if you use the free money DLC.  Yes, there's free DLC that if you download all three will give you 3.1 million in game monnies.
As a matter of fact, my nephew got all the available monnies even before he bought the game. lol! Interestingly enough, he told me today he used nearly all of it and has now resorted to selling items to get more.. But that's a welcome change to be able to sell stuff this time.
And I'm looking forward to ditching Compa as soon as I'm able to do so. :il_hahaha:

I was also able to check out his downloaded costume skins recently. Not bad! They looked better than I thought they would. What's really fun about this is just about anyone can create custom made outfits in Photoshop (or some other good photo editing program) and import them into the game to use. I'm really liking this level of customization. I'm hoping it won't be much longer until I can borrow this game. heh..

Soske

• Head of City Security
  • Legend Killer
    • View Profile
    • Soske Reviews
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2012, 05:04:16 PM »
After a bit of a hiatus due to lack of games I was interested in buying, Bloodforge.

http://soskereviews.blogspot.com/2012/04/bloodforge.html

Soske

• Head of City Security
  • Legend Killer
    • View Profile
    • Soske Reviews
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2012, 03:47:37 PM »

Soske

• Head of City Security
  • Legend Killer
    • View Profile
    • Soske Reviews
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2012, 09:05:46 AM »

MincyMatsu

• Don't leave out the "!"
  • Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
  • On the internet, no one can hear you scream
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duke4.net
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2012, 01:07:44 PM »
Nice review..!
Although I gotta disagree with vehicles, I loathed them in the first game, although over the extensive time I played it, I got very used to it, still terrible though... And I find it amazingly improved in BL2, although I still dislike mouse controlled steering, it make sup for it with the much improved vehicle physics, which for once don't make a full stop for hitting a rock or invisible wall, or just about any surface like in the first game, you can actually ram into things and crash horribly or flip the car in all kinds of ways, which in BL1 just felt coo arcade'y, as if you had a predetermined path meant for vehicles, and anything else would make you go on a full stop, which happened alot, ALOOOOOT, and apart from that, I just feel I have more control in general, I can actually chase enemy bandit vehicles, and not to mention the weapons on them actually kill stuff, which makes them more effective in combat, especially compared to how terribly awful and useless vehicle weapons were...

I also like how ramming enemies won't immediately kill them anymore, it felt so cheap in the first game, although they patched it, since when BL2 just came out, enemies would ragdoll all over the place when getting hit, I guess that made things too easy as well... Now you just do quite a bit of damage to them, or kill them, I really liked it when they ragdolled though, it was hilarious finding tough enemies and just lobbing them over your runner, haha, overall it's a fantastic game, and like you said, the writing and story in general, and characters as well are just a massive improvement from the first game, where everything was more like a hollow shell that was never filled with enough personality..! The DLC's for BL1 helped adding some, but BL2 just takes it so much further, and adds completely new ones really well too..!

Ps
It's great to hear you're enjoying it as well..!
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

Soske

• Head of City Security
  • Legend Killer
    • View Profile
    • Soske Reviews
« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2012, 04:33:24 PM »
Maybe the vehicles control better on the PC then, I'm on the 360 version and they just don't turn when going faster than a snail's pace.  I think I showed in the review, the camera turned almost 90 degrees but the car was still going straight.  I like that the car gun damage was buffed, but it seems the reason it's easier to chase bandit vehicles is because their cars handle equally crappy, so they can't turn and maneuver either.

Lord Il

• Spam Master
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2012, 07:34:46 PM »
Any thoughts on the new Resident Evil 6?

Soske

• Head of City Security
  • Legend Killer
    • View Profile
    • Soske Reviews
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2012, 04:26:34 PM »
Any thoughts on the new Resident Evil 6?

Not too deeply, as I've never been a fan of the series.  But from what I can gather based on random searching of the internet, it seems to be a mediocre game.  It seems like it wants to be scary, but forgets that being scary requires it to actually try to be scary.  But it does look like you can finally move and shoot at the same time.  It looks like a decent game if you want a shooter, but not a good option if you want survival horror.