Author Topic: Tokyopop's North American Division Shuts Down  (Read 2353 times)

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
Tokyopop's North American Division Shuts Down
« on: April 16, 2011, 09:25:01 AM »
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-04-15/tokyopop-to-close-north-american-publishing-division

Damn, now how am I supposed to get my daily dose of manga where the pages fall out on the first reading and series dropped after the fourth volume? :(

Sarcasm aside, I feel bad for all the people who'll lose their jobs because of this. Company has been terrible as of late, but it wasn't always awful.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 09:35:17 AM by Foggle »

E^D Crow

• Rev. Fr. Big Orange Nose Grabber, ACROSS chaplain
  • Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
Re: Tokyopop's North American Division Shuts Down
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 02:07:17 PM »
That's kind of a shame, but, honestly, I haven't bought a Tokyopop manga in a long time.  Most of what I get is put out by DelRey or Yen Press, with a few Viz titles here and there.

Now I'll never know how Battle Vixens ends!   :il_hahaha:

E^D

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 04:51:19 PM »
I was in the manga section of one of the biggest local bookstores today checking out what's new. While Viz Media owns just about all the shelf space, Tokyopop did have some amount of titles to pick from.

But this is unfortunate news for the readers as well who are wanting to complete collections of currently running manga. Still lots of uncertainty at this point.

Have to admit I didn't read anything from them, though. I just have a Tokyopop Sneaks manga sampler I got from a Free Comic Book Day back in '04.

Randamo

• Special Municipal Force Daitenzin Member
  • You're not my Master Chief, and that's okay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 12:24:13 AM »
Great to have the article to read, thanks. I heard about this as a title I wanted, that is released in two weeks, suddenly became discontinued. I found amazon.co.uk was selling it and wondered what the dealio was. It isn't that big a deal to me, though. The company hasn't closed down and I think I only buy one title off them anyway.

But honestly, Tokyopop has made great strides in bring manga to our foreign shores and there's that to be thankful for. It's not pleasant to see any anime/manga company fail, as they bring something rare and translated to us. On the other hand, they are replaced by companies that know what we want and work to deliver it, be it good voice acting, uncensorship, ect. I mostly buy off Viz, but one thing I wish they did is putting the translated sound effects on the page. I don't bother looking it up, so I wonder what I'm missing.

Pointless

• Metal Tiger
  • Unemployed
  • Inadvertent Point
    • View Profile
    • NIL
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 07:42:17 PM »
On the other hand, they are replaced by companies that know what we want and work to deliver it, be it good voice acting, uncensorship, ect. I mostly buy off Viz, but one thing I wish they did is putting the translated sound effects on the page. I don't bother looking it up, so I wonder what I'm missing.

Unfortunately, in many cases these companies are deciding for us  what "we want".

Also, while I sympathize with your comment on sound effects - since I have a hard time reading small white characters on a black background - I prefer the original Japanese characters. 

Tokyopop will be missed.  :sumysad:

Our Minds exist only in virtual reality.