Author Topic: The End of Excel Saga (in Japan)  (Read 41128 times)

Sean Gaffney

• Emergency food supply
    • View Profile
    • A Case Suitable for Treatment
The End of Excel Saga (in Japan)
« on: March 03, 2011, 02:43:05 PM »
A manga news site just reported that the band around the 26th volume of Excel Saga says that the 27th and final volume will ship this summer, meaning it's going to end in 2-3 months in YKO.

I'm not all too surprised, but still... the end of an era!  15 years!  Excel, we salute you!

(Source:  http://www.manga-news.com/index.php/actus/2011/03/03/Excel-Saga-se-termine)

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
Re: The End of Excel Saga (in Japan)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 03:48:40 PM »
I'm not too surprised, I know we still have 6 English ones left to go, I'm glad that the series will get true closure, and I'm happy that Rikudou will finally be able to move on with his life and try out new things, but this still makes me kind of sad. Really sad, in fact. I mean, every good story needs to end and deserves to end, but I wish it wouldn't. Perhaps he'll do some (clean) doujins or special chapters in the future to continue the madness, if only briefly. But probably not.

I love how it's ending at 27 volumes, though. Seems sort of like an in-joke; an "I can one-up the anime version one last time!" statement, in a way.

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 06:18:45 PM »
^Ditto!

Randamo

• Special Municipal Force Daitenzin Member
  • You're not my Master Chief, and that's okay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 12:12:11 AM »
time to end this. 'S been fun, but I like to know something will end. You can move on then. Besides, what with all the slow releases, we'll be at this for 4-5 years.

Mas

• Emergency food supply
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 04:09:39 AM »
Now that the manga is almost over, maybe we can finally get a proper Excel Saga anime adaptation.

Uncreativity

• Solarian Princess
  • Dept of City Security
  • KANIMISO!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 09:43:20 AM »
I'm surprised, because I've been following along with the Japanese version and I have no idea how on earth he could actually wrap this mess of a plot up in 2-3 more chapters.

I'm trying to find a source on this in Japanese, and I'll comb through the latest chapter of YKO when I'm a little more awake, but for now I'm cautiously skeptical.

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 01:56:24 PM »
Now that the manga is almost over, maybe we can finally get a proper Excel Saga anime adaptation.
Some of us might be willing to give up a limb (or three) to see this happen. :e_tongue:

At least if the source material were finished, an anime adaption might be a little easier to put into production.

I'm surprised, because I've been following along with the Japanese version and I have no idea how on earth he could actually wrap this mess of a plot up in 2-3 more chapters.

I'm trying to find a source on this in Japanese, and I'll comb through the latest chapter of YKO when I'm a little more awake, but for now I'm cautiously skeptical.
Much appreciated. More of a first-hand source would be preferable.

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 03:11:53 PM »
Some manga do excessively long final chapters. That could be the case here.

Alternatively, the wrap-around could have been misleading: this might be the end of "Excel Saga," but the story may continue under a different name (ex: Trigun --> Trigun Maximum / Deadpool --> Agent X).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 03:13:27 PM by Foggle »

SWamP

• Unpaid Translator
  • Toilet Cleaner
  • In your house, cooking your pets.
    • View Profile
    • Efexsagá
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 10:46:55 AM »

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/GUN-SLGST/20110306#p2

<------- The infamous band.

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 11:50:26 AM »
Lookit all that feckin' Kanji. No way in hell I could read that. :sumysad:

Anyone care to translate it? Might offer a clue as to whether or not it'll be done for good in volume 27...

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 04:09:54 PM »
Well, beats my old guess of Vol. 25, and it does seem ironic that Rikudo-san ends the series one volume more than the anime had episodes. And since we are getting a per-annum release, anyway, we won't see vol. 27 for probably the aforementioned 4-5 years. But it needed to come to an end eventually, and I hate any story that drags on unnecessarily. Or fills an entire volume with pointless crap (Berserk, I'm looking at you :/)

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Uncreativity

• Solarian Princess
  • Dept of City Security
  • KANIMISO!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 12:13:43 PM »
Well I'll be damned. The Japanese confirms it.

Kharaxel

• Miwa Fan
  • Unemployed
  • Miwa FUCK YEAH!
    • View Profile
    • Everything is Fabulous - MY BLOG
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 01:16:45 AM »
Well... crap.
But hey, I'm hoping to get my EXCEL BEFRIENDS UMI AGAIN AND ILL PALAZZO DIES end! : D

Eventually...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dr. Iwata

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 11:42:48 AM »
Maybe now that its officially coming to an end we may get the final volumes at a faster rate or am I just dreaming? lol.

Anyway on one hand its sad to see Excel Saga come to an end (unless it continues in a different for I guess) but by god what a grand journey it has been and I have no regrets :ehail:

Ekuseru

• Spam Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 10:15:31 AM »
A world with no new volumes to look forward to?  This is depressing news to me but of course nothing lasts forever. :e_crying:  Would be nice if a spin-off series or a story related series like Foggle mentioned would come about after Excel Saga's end.