Author Topic: My attempt to get rid of some old manga/Young King Ours  (Read 4749 times)

Uncreativity

• Solarian Princess
  • Dept of City Security
  • KANIMISO!!
    • View Profile
My attempt to get rid of some old manga/Young King Ours
« on: December 15, 2009, 03:04:10 PM »
I am hoping to study abroad next year, and even if I don't I'm going to end up moving just to be able to transfer out of the Japanese Program from Hell (protip: don't study Japanese at Portland State University even if your life depends on it). So! I have some stuff I would really REALLY like to get rid of.

Since this is more about getting rid of stuff than trying to make a profit (despite how broke I am right now), I will sell every book on this list for A DOLLAR APIECE plus shipping. (I'm not sure how much shipping will cost, but I'll figure it out and get back to you if anybody actually wants to take stuff off my hands).

I have:

• Young King Ours volumes. Nothing super recent, but issues going back several years, including several Holy Brownie chapters and the last chapter of Trigun Maximum. (I'm happy to check if there's anything in particular wanted).
  • Excel Saga 1-6 (Chinese)
  • Fruits Basket 12 (Japanese)
  • Comic Party 1-5 and the first two doujinshi volumes (English)
  • Law of Ueki 1-3 (English)
  • Rising Stars of Manga 1-3 (English)
  • El Hazard 1-3 (English)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 05:28:51 PM by Uncreativity »

E^D Crow

• Rev. Fr. Big Orange Nose Grabber, ACROSS chaplain
  • Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
Re: My attempt to get rid of some old manga/Young King Ours
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 04:31:35 PM »
I've been interested in 'Law of Ueki' for a while, but was too deep into other series (at the time it was first released) to buy it, so this looks like a good opportunity to start.

I definitely want to buy those 3 volumes from you, so PM me the final cost, and where I can send the money (I do have PayPal).

I am in the U.S., Garfield, NJ 07026, to calculate the shipping.

E^D
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 04:34:02 PM by E^D Crow »

Uncreativity

• Solarian Princess
  • Dept of City Security
  • KANIMISO!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 05:29:18 PM »
An excellent choice! Law of Ueki is one of my favorite animes, but I just never ended up getting into the manga.

Mad Hatteress

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 05:31:53 PM »
An excellent choice! Law of Ueki is one of my favorite animes, but I just never ended up getting into the manga.

Huh... I've never heard of it, so I looked it up, and they gave the anime really low scores according to wikipedia. Apparently the dub is awful.

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 05:38:40 PM »
Can I request more info on your Young King Ours volumes?
I'm just curious as to what's in 'em.

Uncreativity

• Solarian Princess
  • Dept of City Security
  • KANIMISO!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 05:59:05 PM »

Huh... I've never heard of it, so I looked it up, and they gave the anime really low scores according to wikipedia. Apparently the dub is awful.

I've never watched the dub. Actually, I haven't watched the licensed version at all (though I did go out and buy it). I hear they censored out all the "god" stuff and translated some things weirdly, but I don't know much more than that. I guess I can understand low ratings, since it's kinda dumb, but I find it endearing. I particularly enjoyed it as a rare shounen that actually ENDS rather than going on for all of freakin' eternity.

Can I request more info on your Young King Ours volumes?
I'm just curious as to what's in 'em.

I have every issue from 10/06 to 04/09. In terms of Excel Saga, that's from the chapter where Elgala's dream while she's in the hospital to stuff that hasn't been released in English yet. They have the titles listed here as well as Trigun Maximum and Holy Brownie in the earlier volumes. Most of them are in really good shape, but some of the earlier ones are a little bent from me trying to scan things.

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 06:12:23 PM »
I might be interested in purchasing the Young Kings at a later date (when I actually have some money to spare). Don't hold your breath for me, though. Sell them to anyone else who wants them, by all means.

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 02:42:03 PM »
I'd also be interested in some YKO, but like Foggle I won't be hurt if they are sold off before I can get to them. I'm still waiting to get paid for my copyedit work and they're being rather douchey with all this new paperwork I apparently need to sign to get paid *is frustrated*

Also, I didn't know you were in Portland, I used to live near PSU, did a job shadow of the art department there when I was at Roosevelt there. I would have thought the Japanese program there would be good, considering the number of Japanese that live there, but I guess not O.o;;

Completely unrelated topic, but Uncreativity, have you ever seen or heard of a singing Klingon in the Portland area? Yes, I have a reason to ask, as odd as the question is :p.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Uncreativity

• Solarian Princess
  • Dept of City Security
  • KANIMISO!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 02:59:21 PM »
I'd also be interested in some YKO, but like Foggle I won't be hurt if they are sold off before I can get to them. I'm still waiting to get paid for my copyedit work and they're being rather douchey with all this new paperwork I apparently need to sign to get paid *is frustrated*

I doubt they'll go fast, though if they don't go at all I may end up using them for decoupage.

Also, I didn't know you were in Portland, I used to live near PSU, did a job shadow of the art department there when I was at Roosevelt there. I would have thought the Japanese program there would be good, considering the number of Japanese that live there, but I guess not O.o;;

We get a lot of exchange students from Waseda, too, but PSU uses an extremely non-standard (and extremely poor, imho) teaching method. They say it turns out good students, but the reason is that it's completely sadistic, so anyone NOT completely dedicated to Japanese drops it like a bad habit. I could write a freakin' thesis on all the ways this program is terrible, but I'll leave it at this: We use a textbook with no Japanese characters in it, so old that it has "Soviet Union" and "casette tape" as vocabulary words, because the head of the program is mentioned on the Acknowledgments page.

Completely unrelated topic, but Uncreativity, have you ever seen or heard of a singing Klingon in the Portland area? Yes, I have a reason to ask, as odd as the question is :p.

I have not, but I am intrigued!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 03:02:15 PM by Uncreativity »

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 04:14:14 PM »
We get a lot of exchange students from Waseda, too, but PSU uses an extremely non-standard (and extremely poor, imho) teaching method. They say it turns out good students, but the reason is that it's completely sadistic, so anyone NOT completely dedicated to Japanese drops it like a bad habit. I could write a freakin' thesis on all the ways this program is terrible, but I'll leave it at this: We use a textbook with no Japanese characters in it, so old that it has "Soviet Union" and "casette tape" as vocabulary words, because the head of the program is mentioned on the Acknowledgments page.

Oh dear lord, that's bad. Sorry to hear that, that really had to be a massive let down :(.

I have not, but I am intrigued!

I was just curious. Since Bodacious Classics closed some years ago he hasn't had as many venues to play at, but he has been in the Oregonian a few times in the past for his odd antics, like holding up at one of the major bridges there with a cardboard sign saying "Will Work for G'aghk" in full Klingon regalia. He's also translated numerous songs into Klingon and has sung them at local events with his group. To my knowledge he has translated "My Way," "Bad to the Bone," and "Over the Rainbow."

Oh yeah, and he's my father O.o;; Bigger geek than every soul on this board combined. It's all for fun though, he isn't really that loony. Close, but not that loony. If you ever do see him you can address him either as "Kaolin/Qaolin" or alternately "Jim."

I was also in the same club for a while, and my Klingon name was "Kao'Pektate," since it's made from Kaolin :D.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Uncreativity

• Solarian Princess
  • Dept of City Security
  • KANIMISO!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 04:23:48 PM »
I was just curious. Since Bodacious Classics closed some years ago he hasn't had as many venues to play at, but he has been in the Oregonian a few times in the past for his odd antics, like holding up at one of the major bridges there with a cardboard sign saying "Will Work for G'aghk" in full Klingon regalia. He's also translated numerous songs into Klingon and has sung them at local events with his group. To my knowledge he has translated "My Way," "Bad to the Bone," and "Over the Rainbow."

Oh yeah, and he's my father O.o;; Bigger geek than every soul on this board combined. It's all for fun though, he isn't really that loony. Close, but not that loony. If you ever do see him you can address him either as "Kaolin/Qaolin" or alternately "Jim."

I was also in the same club for a while, and my Klingon name was "Kao'Pektate," since it's made from Kaolin :D.

I was about to say, "Wow, he sounds dreamy," after that first paragraph there, but then paragraph two occurred and now I feel awkward.  :e_confused:

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 05:02:22 PM »
LOL!

E^D Crow

• Rev. Fr. Big Orange Nose Grabber, ACROSS chaplain
  • Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 04:56:15 PM »
I got the Law of Ueki two days ago.  Thanks, Uncreativity!  =^D

It's pretty strange, and I like how incredibly blasé Ueki is, all the time!  I found it a little funny that the cover to volume one, he's sitting on a Recycle can, and that's kind of what you did with the book itself.

Elric, your dad sounds AWESOME!   :ehail:  ...and 'Kao'Pektate'?  That's great!  X^D

E^D