Author Topic: I want to learn to play guitar. Any advice for a beginner?  (Read 5258 times)

I'M Eh-chan!

• Pedophile Scientist
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/ehchan/
I want to learn to play guitar. Any advice for a beginner?
« on: April 25, 2007, 10:00:19 AM »
Hey all, as I've said in my topic title, I really want to learn to play the guitar and I feel it's time I acted.  After my finals are over, I AM going to buy a guitar and learn how to play.  I'm tired of sitting around watching guitarists and thinking "wow, that's cool, I wish I could do that" and not acting on my desires.

I've begun looking around on different sites for information for a beginner.  I want to get as many opinions as possible, though, before I make any purchases.

So if any of you out there play guitar, I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me some advice.  I am a complete novice, and really have no idea how to play a guitar or what to look for when buying one.  I want to get an electric guitar.  So if you could recommend some good, affordable (around $500 or less, if possible) guitars for a beginner, that would be awesome.  Also, I will need to know what to look for when making a purchase (like what I should listen for when I test the guitar).  Finally, I'll also need to know about other necessary accessories like amps.  I am going to be making my purchase at a physical store.

Once again, any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance!

~Eh-chan

UPDATE:  I have my eye on this one:

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0135102387

Fender Standard Telecaster (Electron Blue color)

I'm gonna look around some more.  I'll be going to the store on Friday to pick something, so I'll let everyone know what I got either way.

Takiaki

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 02:56:12 PM »
Congratulations!

First and foremost I wanna say I think you've made a good decision on the guitar you're looking at, you can't go wrong with a good Fender. My first guitar was a Squier wannabe Strat...and I'd wished I'd just bought a standard Strat then instead of having to suffer on that pile of shit. But just to be sure I recommend going to a music store such as a Guitar Center just to check out all the different types of guitars in your price range. The feels and tones available are very different, so just go with what you like. As for amps it really depends on how much money you can spend and what kind of sounds you want...so you gotta find out what you like.

...And when it comes to actual playing...make sure you get down the proper picking form! If you don't it will plague you every time you pick up the instrument...that's really the most important piece of advice I can give you as one guitarist to another.
n the beginning, God created light, and then he made THREE big mistakes. One, MAN....Two, WO-MAN...and Three, The Poodle.

I'M Eh-chan!

• Pedophile Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 03:44:34 PM »
Thanks!

Yes, I will definitely be checking out different things.  I am in fact going to Guitar Center on Friday, so I will try a lot of things.  I never realized there are so many factors in choosing guitars!  I'll definitely choose one based on feel and sound, and also appearance.

As for amps, I will only be getting something small to start off with.  I won't be able to play very loud at all and will probably have to use headphones most of the time anyway.  I have been told the Roland Micro Cube is a good amp, so I will be keeping that in mind.

I'll keep that in mind about proper pick form!  I'm so excited about this!  I can't wait to get started.

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 04:00:07 PM »
Take lessons. Studying on your own is well and good, but lessons move it along in a much clearer way.

I'M Eh-chan!

• Pedophile Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 05:14:45 PM »
Okay, I'll look into where I can get some lessons.

Her Excellency The Pink Bunny

• You see nothing!
  • Spam Master
  • ;D
    • View Profile
    • Pink Bunny's Twitter
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 09:14:19 PM »
My dad taught himself to play.  What he always tells me is to practice your chords until you can do them in your sleep.  So, get a chord book.

He's trying to teach me.  But I focus more on my violin and piano.

He teaches my friends for free as long as they show progress each week.

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 09:57:47 PM »
Don't forget to breath.

I'M Eh-chan!

• Pedophile Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 12:43:11 PM »
Quote from: "HerExellencyThePinkBunny"
My dad taught himself to play.  What he always tells me is to practice your chords until you can do them in your sleep.  So, get a chord book.

He's trying to teach me.  But I focus more on my violin and piano.

He teaches my friends for free as long as they show progress each week.

What happens if they don't show progress?  Trap door?

I'll get a chord book then.  Thanks!  I really wanted to know where I should get started.

Quote from: "Poey"
Don't forget to breath.

Wow, thanks!  Playing guitar sure is complicated!   :Etoung:

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 01:32:28 AM »
I come from a musical family, but I'm sorta like the black sheep because I bought an accoustic only a couple years ago. And.. I'm still not playing it much. ^^;;

What I was always told is to learn to play on an accoustic guitar first because it's "a better way to learn."

The guitar I have is a smaller body Yamaha which is great for someone just starting to learn. Doesn't have that full-rich sound that a larger one would have, but it's not that bad either.

Very rarely will a guitar case be included with your guitar. These almost always need to be purchased separately. You'll have two choices - a soft or hard case. You should pay the extra for a hard case. If someone accidentally decided to sit on it on a couch, a soft case won't help it much (I've seen this happen to someone once). >_<

Get a small handful of guitar picks of different types - hard to soft picks. Experiment.

It wouldn't hurt to pick up a guitar tuner either. There's a good variety of them available.

I'M Eh-chan!

• Pedophile Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 12:55:17 PM »
Heehee, I just got back from the guitar center about an hour ago and here's what I got:

Fender Standard Telecaster
Gig bag
Guitar strap
Roland Micro Cube Amp.
12' Monster Cable
Chord Book
This other book for beginners
Picks (I don't know what the hardness is, but they are orange in color)
Chromatic Tuner

Grand total:  ~$640

=D

I'll take some pictures later tonight.

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 02:07:56 PM »
All that for $640? Impressive! I've seen some peeps pay out over 600 just for the guitar alone.

Yeah, give us some pics when you have a chance. I'd seriously like to see what you got today. ^_^