Author Topic: Sumiyoshi's voice  (Read 10174 times)

Carl Horn

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
Re: Sumiyoshi's voice
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2007, 10:17:13 PM »
I imagine Sumiyoshi's voice (apart from his accent) sounding more "respectable" than "funny." He seems to be the most stable and realistic of the three guys. Although the otaku in him is fascinated by some of the advanced technology that Kabapu and Shiouji possess, he's also disturbed by both of them and you get the strong feeling in Vol. 16 he'd like to somehow escape and get back to a "normal" life. Iwata is the one I imagine sounding kind of goofy, as he's over-enthusiastic about everything and childishly accepting about being a cyborg and an action hero.

MincyMatsu

• Don't leave out the "!"
  • Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
  • On the internet, no one can hear you scream
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duke4.net
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2007, 11:32:36 PM »
Well, i must agree, that i don't imagine him sounding "respectable" as you put it...
You're right, that his attitude in Vol 16 seems to change a little, as if he would indeed let go of all this "madness" (if that's how you can put it..?)... But, well, he seemed concerned for his fellow workers... i mean, he didn't seem to want to leave the others with the job, guess he felt a little too attached to them, and don't feel alright to just leave them for his own good

That said, i couldn't imagine him with this serious tone, with some kind of wacky voice, hehe

Iwata though, i think they did an outstanding job with him in the Anime version of the series...
I feel the manga is in every way superior content wise and story wise compared to the anime, but Iwata's voice seemed to fit just fine into the manga as well... one of the few things i think is equal to the manga
His voice simply didn't sound TOO goofy, and still had that similar attitude as we know him from the manga (well, somtimes it got a little exaggerated to my tastes, when comparing to the manga, but his voice still fit) Note that i liked the original japanese, as well as the english version, this whole opinion might as well count in both these voices...

Uhm, but, it's about Sumiyoshi... so, maybe i shouldn't make any big deal of Iwata's voice
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

WastefullyCheerful

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2007, 12:01:44 PM »
As a geordie myself, I just imagine him speaking like me. :P

A strong accent with a quite lazy and low tone. It's mentioned a few times that Sumiyoshi acts beyond his years, so it makes sense that he'd sound quite grown-up, never really getting excited.

Uncreativity

• Solarian Princess
  • Dept of City Security
  • KANIMISO!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2007, 12:29:40 PM »
Two words: Groundskeeper Willie.

WastefullyCheerful

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2007, 12:39:10 PM »
Nooo! Not Willie! He's ULTRA Scottish!

Think more, Auf Wiedersehen, Pet. :)

HA1L ILPALLAZZO

• I have returned
  • Spam Master
  • HA1L ILPALAZZO
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2007, 09:52:12 AM »
interesting note Willie sound like he comes from Inverness

also Sumiyoshi's accent is easy to get mixed up with scottish

Carl Horn

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2007, 10:13:44 AM »
As WastefullyCheerful says, Sumiyoshi is meant in "real life" to sound like these guys (that is, the three who enter the bar, not the blond guy in the leather jacket who comes up to meet them)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiLPZBpzmZQ

When you write out his accent phonetically, it does sound a bit Scottish (not too surprising, as Newcastle is close to the border), but when you actually hear it, it's definitely not Willie. ^_^

HA1L ILPALLAZZO

• I have returned
  • Spam Master
  • HA1L ILPALAZZO
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2007, 12:27:33 PM »
ai ah forgot Auf Wiedersehen Pet was da best example o a geordie accent

excel-kleinwald

• Dept of City Security
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2007, 03:48:34 PM »
And here I thought I settled this, if he were to have a voice (WHICH HE DOES NOT!) then I hear in my head a pretty low pitched one, with a kind of dull almost monotone voice like he has to constantly give a lecture to college students every day.