Author Topic: Satoshi Kon's Stuff  (Read 4725 times)

Mad Hatteress

Satoshi Kon's Stuff
« on: December 18, 2009, 07:27:32 PM »
Anyone else a fan? I'm so annoyed by Tim Burton raping releasing a new Alice move and suddenly thought of Kon. Not because I think anime would be the best route (although it would be pretty) but because I think he would do darn good.

I've been meaning to see more of his work. Until I looked him up today I actually didn't know he did Paranoia Agent! I've also seen Perfect Blue (but edited on TV. I'm scared to buy it because there's a graphic scene where she plays a rape victim in a movie) and I own Paprika. I plan on buying seeing Tokyo Godfathers next.

What do you guys think? Are you fans as well or have you never heard of him? I totally recommend seeing at least one of his movies. Except for Godfathers they're all psychological thrillers.

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
Re: Satoshi Kon's Stuff
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 09:51:41 PM »
I've also seen Perfect Blue (but edited on TV. I'm scared to buy it because there's a graphic scene where she plays a rape victim in a movie)
Perfect Blue is truly a brilliant, mesmerizing picture. It was like a Twilight Zone episode or a Hitchcock movie with the disturbing meter cranked up to 11 due to its scenes filled with sexually-charged suspense.

Mad Hatteress

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 10:24:32 AM »
^ You really should see Paprika. I imagine it to be almost like what someone see's when they're high. I plan on re-watching it today since it's been awhile but I remember that the dream world spills over into the real world. The "Parade-of-everything-under-the-sun" is amazing, as well as the music that accompanies it.

It would be a great DVD to "spice" up your collection!

I'll get it.

:excel_fall:

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 08:22:46 AM »
I've also seen Perfect Blue
Way back when I was but a fledgling otaku, Perfect Blue came highly recommended and was among the first half dozen anime DVDs I ever bought. I thought it was one of the best psychological thrillers I've seen in years.

I wouldn't mind seeing more of Satoshi Kon's works.

Lord Il

• Spam Master
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 08:03:11 PM »

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 11:11:22 PM »
Very sad news, indeed :(

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 06:04:12 AM »
Fuck, what a great director. He died way too young.

You will be missed by many, Satoshi Kon.

Lord Il

• Spam Master
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 02:57:14 PM »
He died way too young.
Yeah, it was first reported he was 47 but i think a correction was made which stated he was 46. Either way it doesn't matter - still too young. geeeze...

I read that he was busy with a production at Madhouse Studios called Yume-Miru Kikai (The Dreaming Machine). Apparently he and his family knew he had terminal cancer and despite the odds he wanted to make this his final project before his passing.

Have to wonder how much of this production he was able to complete. Perhaps it is finished? No idea. A little bit of Googling revealed some fantastic shots of the backgrounds.

Lord Il

• Spam Master
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 01:23:35 PM »