Author Topic: Best DVD extras / Easter eggs  (Read 2977 times)

Inkwolf

• Social Worker
    • View Profile
Best DVD extras / Easter eggs
« on: January 31, 2009, 09:13:15 PM »
It's not all "Find the Mint!"  :kabapu-1:

If you have an anime DVD with really unmissable extra content, please post about it here.  Too often, you get only clean openings/closings, trailers, and maybe a commentary or picture gallery.  It's easy to miss extra episodes or other valuable entertainment if you're not expecting it.

The best DVD extras I've found so far:

Comic Party--Each DVD has a part of a special hot springs episode.

Utawarerumono--Serious as this series is, Disc 1 has a funny short in the extras.

The Gokusen--the dubbing outtakes are seriously funny!

Fruits Basket--Easter eggs--Funny dubbing outtakes and original screen tests, plus the English version of the song 'Serenade."  To find them, go to the Extras menu of Discs 1 and 3, and enter 10 on the remote.

DEFENSE!! DEFENSE!!___OFFENSE!! OFFENSE!!

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
Re: Best DVD extras / Easter eggs
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 02:18:46 PM »
^You mean to tell me that the Easter Eggs in Excel Saga are not worthy of your best list?? :e_tongue:

Shameful. :e_wink:

MincyMatsu

• Don't leave out the "!"
  • Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
  • On the internet, no one can hear you scream
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duke4.net
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 03:03:32 PM »
Hare & Guu collection had some cool extras, cool booklet with info in it, and the funny stuff on the DVD's, english outtakes and stuff...

PaniPoniDash!, i need to finish this still, but each DVD for now had had a really cool booklet in it with funny trivial info in it, and a reversable cover with a comic strip on it... The ADV Video Notes are great too
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

Inkwolf

• Social Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 08:31:21 PM »
^You mean to tell me that the Easter Eggs in Excel Saga are not worthy of your best list?? :e_tongue:

I figured we all knew about the Excel ones, though!  :il_hahaha: (My favorite disc insert is the ACROSS membership card. Don't worry, thinpak buyers, AKA the masses! I'll ask Lord Il Palazzo to find you cushy desk jobs in the new world order!)

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 03:31:30 PM »

I figured we all knew about the Excel ones, though!  :il_hahaha: (My favorite disc insert is the ACROSS membership card. Don't worry, thinpak buyers, AKA the masses! I'll ask Lord Il Palazzo to find you cushy desk jobs in the new world order!)
Yeah, unfortunately those who got the thinpak editions missed out on some of those fun extras. A shame really. T_T

I need to look over my collection of anime DVDs again. I know there's a few secrets I've found in some of them.

E^D Crow

• Rev. Fr. Big Orange Nose Grabber, ACROSS chaplain
  • Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 05:02:43 PM »
The Gokusen--the dubbing outtakes are seriously funny!
I had no idea that was there!  I'll have to check it out...  Is is on any particular disk?

E^D

Inkwolf

• Social Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 06:24:55 PM »
I think they are on all three discs, actually.  The guy playing Shin really mouthed off a lot. :p  Or you can look them up under Gokusen Bloopers on Youtube.

Youtube is where I actually first saw the Comic Party mini-OVA, not even realizing it was in the disc extras until long afterward.

Inkwolf

• Social Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 08:52:35 PM »
Genshiken has an episode of their anime-within-an-anime, Kujibiki Unbalance, on each disc. You get the theoretical Episode 1, episode 21 (the so-called recap) and second-to-last episode 25.  I believe they actually made a spin-off series, wonder if they used the original Genshiken episodes or made 'real' ones. :D

I also recall Galaxy Angel having tons of disc extras (some more interesting than others) usually including a bonus episode and/or videos of the voice actresses singing in concerts.

E^D Crow

• Rev. Fr. Big Orange Nose Grabber, ACROSS chaplain
  • Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 12:29:42 PM »
Genshiken has an episode of their anime-within-an-anime, Kujibiki Unbalance, on each disc. You get the theoretical Episode 1, episode 21 (the so-called recap) and second-to-last episode 25.  I believe they actually made a spin-off series, wonder if they used the original Genshiken episodes or made 'real' ones. :D
The 12-episode Kujibiki Unbalance animé is a completely new, all original series.  The character designs and personalities are slightly changed, as well as the main storyline/main characters' roles.

The next episode previews are done by the Genshiken members, who are talking about the episode that just ended.

Each disk also has one brand-new Genshiken episode.  Ogiue's introduction, Madarame going shopping for new clothes, and Kasukabe coerces Ogiue to cosplay.

Also, the two volumes of the Kujibiki Unbalance manga (which follows the animé story and character designs) each have one brand-new Genshiken bonus chapter, which take place after the end of the Ganshiken manga.

E^D
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 12:44:14 PM by E^D Crow »