Author Topic: What's the last anime you've seen?  (Read 141517 times)

E^D Crow

• Rev. Fr. Big Orange Nose Grabber, ACROSS chaplain
  • Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
Re: What's the last anime you've seen?
« Reply #330 on: June 25, 2008, 09:02:07 PM »
I am really digging Angelic Layer.  I wish I had a customized Angel to battle with...

I'm just figuring out, now, that CLAMP can do no wrong.  I've enjoyed everything of theirs, that I've seen.

E^D

Necrominion

• Chief Combatant
  • ~Desu?
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 26, 2008, 01:53:07 AM »
I am really digging Angelic Layer.  I wish I had a customized Angel to battle with...

I'm just figuring out, now, that CLAMP can do no wrong.  I've enjoyed everything of theirs, that I've seen.

E^D

I concur with that.  I was a bit wary of their series DearS, but after watching the first few episodes i could not help but finish watching the series.
If ignorance is bliss, why aren't many people happy?

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 26, 2008, 03:23:14 PM »
DearS was not a CLAMP production, it was by Peach Pit, and DearS was a seriously disturbed series when you get down to what it was really about.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

E^D Crow

• Rev. Fr. Big Orange Nose Grabber, ACROSS chaplain
  • Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 26, 2008, 08:45:51 PM »
DearS was not a CLAMP production, it was by Peach Pit, and DearS was a seriously disturbed series when you get down to what it was really about.
Yeah, I couldn't get past the first volume of DearS.

It just...  didn't sit right with me.

E^d

Necrominion

• Chief Combatant
  • ~Desu?
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 27, 2008, 01:49:09 AM »

What i get when i don't look at things properly....my bad

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 27, 2008, 08:03:18 AM »

E^d
What exactly is DearS about?  I've heard it's a very love-it-or-hate-it series, even more so than the Excel Saga anime. D:

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 27, 2008, 10:43:30 AM »

E^d
What exactly is DearS about?  I've heard it's a very love-it-or-hate-it series, even more so than the Excel Saga anime. D:

Basically it's about a species that came to earth, naturally bred to be slaves to other races, and they are attempting to acclimate themselves to earth despite natural moral differences between their race and humanity (the DearS, and it stands for something I can't remember what) don't see anything wrong with the way they think, but they know humans react poorly to it, so they normally try to behave more human.  Along the way a high school kid finds a rogue DearS who was originally sealed away because something was wrong with her, and she has no knowledge of humanity initially or the DearS attempts to suppress their normal slave mentality, and she bonds with the kid, who was the first person she saw upon awakening. 

Now on the surface that sounds weird but not altogether horrible, but when you match some rather poor animation with a cast of awful characters (including the teacher, who has to be the most obnoxious character in anime history and so beyond the pale of reality that it just hurts your head).  Oh, of course most of the DearS are female of course, and fan service is this anime's primary specialty. 

I watched the whole thing out of morbid fascination, and admit there were some funny parts, if only in a very juvenile fashion, but when you stop and think about the plot - especially with the OP song, which when you see the lyrics you just feel that much more creeped out.  Also, the music is very annoying - it just all seems wrong.  A lot of people compare it to Chobits, but other than the fact that the main female lead has a slavish devotion to the main male character, there is nothing else really tying the two together - okay, except maybe for an organization trying to take the main female lead away because there is something about her dangerous to their plans, but yeah, it's just... odd.  As you said, love it or hate it, so try it on for size and see if it makes you feel icky for having tried it.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Turbam!!!

• uh...
  • Emergency food supply
  • I'M A DOCTOR!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 27, 2008, 07:42:42 PM »
I have no idea what it's called, but I'm watching one were the main characters do nothing but make bread...>_>...sorry...I'm still new to Anime...so I don't really remember most of the names...

Inkwolf

• Social Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 29, 2008, 07:58:03 PM »
Just watched Nerima Daikon Brothers--Foggle, you were right, it's great!  Must rewatch soon...

Next on my list is probably Hare and Guu...

DEFENSE!! DEFENSE!!___OFFENSE!! OFFENSE!!

glacier

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 30, 2008, 05:21:46 AM »
I'm watching...

... Excel Saga!  Finally! I've heard about this for so long, and I have finally started it. Waiting for Disk 2 to arrive from NetFlix. Right now Lord Ilapazzo (sorry, still can't remember how to spell or pronounce that!)  is my favorite character, in part because he's voiced by Koyasu Takehito, he's good-looking, and another reason I won't mention.

Also watching "Myself, Yourself" (interesting but except for the fact that Koyasu Takehito has a semi-lead role, I don't think I would have gotten this far); Hataraki Man (love the jdorama, anime is not too bad either); Bleach (but I'm getting a bit tired of it--the second story arc has a lot of fighting, not much plot.)

exckilla

• ACROSS SUPER SECRET COMMANDER
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 30, 2008, 12:07:38 PM »
More lucky star off the inernet

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #341 on: July 09, 2008, 10:43:09 AM »
Gunslinger Girl. It really was a pleasant surprise. I look forward to the second season due for US release in '09, although the new artstyle looks kinda shitty from the few screenshots I've seen.

Also, at AX, I saw a bunch of new anime. "The Sword of the Stranger" was a brand new movie to be released sometime in early '09, and I REALLY recommend it - it was just INCREDIBLE. It was a samurai-period type of movie with some slight modern styles to it.

The first of the new EVA movies was also playing and I saw it. Freakin awesome, didn't dissapoint in the least. Nothing huge was changed from the show, although they showed things in a slightly different way in some parts to make it suit the movie format better and whatnot. I can't wait for the rest of the movies.

Let's see... I saw a couple episodes and Beck and it seemed pretty lame. Sorry for you Beck fans. I really think I should see more of it before I completely write it off though, since it was obviously still developing the story when it stopped playing.

Umm... what else... I guess that's it for the most part. I saw some other stuff I think, but not enough to make judgements on.

Necrominion

• Chief Combatant
  • ~Desu?
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 09, 2008, 03:32:45 PM »
Gunslinger Girl. It really was a pleasant surprise. I look forward to the second season due for US release in '09, although the new artstyle looks kinda shitty from the few screenshots I've seen.

This has perked my interest

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #343 on: July 09, 2008, 03:48:55 PM »
Yeah, when I heard the name I thought it sounded really stupid... like some yada yada "girls with guns" anime. I'm glad to say it really isn't though, mostly because it keeps a serious tone and it's very professional. As someone who works at a gun range and is around guns all the time, I'm happy to see the art style and writing is very accurate as far as gunhandling/procedure is concerned.

Mr Crispy

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 09, 2008, 04:11:14 PM »
GSG Il Teatrino is pretty disappointing though. Mostly because of poor quality animation and music sucking all the atmosphere out of the series. While the first season was more realistic in terms of character designs and backgrounds, Il Teatrino is more pastel and cartoony. As well as action scenes that cut away from explosions just to avoid animating them.

Better off just reading the manga. Except ADV has it on hiatus at the moment and hasn't published volumes 7-9 yet. :(