Author Topic: What's the last anime you've seen?  (Read 122387 times)

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
Re: What's the last anime you've seen?
« Reply #960 on: April 14, 2012, 04:45:05 PM »
It's either a prequel to or a reboot of the green jacket series. It's really funny and has amazing art/animation. Much closer to the original manga than the other anime adaptations, too.

Inkwolf

• Social Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: April 14, 2012, 10:45:18 PM »
You guys have GOT to see Coffee Samurai...

DEFENSE!! DEFENSE!!___OFFENSE!! OFFENSE!!

Randamo

• Special Municipal Force Daitenzin Member
  • You're not my Master Chief, and that's okay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: July 02, 2012, 01:34:06 AM »
Going back... ooh, a couple months back I bought House of Five Leaves. This anime was very different for me, but also fair to say it's a rather unique anime. Mostly drama and character study, it's a story about an out-of-work ronin Masa who makes the acquaintance of the yakuza looking Yaiichi. Yaiichi initialy hires him to protect him, but Masa realises that he ended up being an accomplice to a kidnapping. He's very intrigued by the friendships he makes with the other members of the kidnapping group the Five Leaves, and Yaiichi mostly, but feels conflicted at the idea of committing crimes. His struggle is one of his stomach against his spine too, as he has little other chance of getting work due to his personality, which is very shy and lacking in confidence.
I was hooked, it's good stuff.

Now for something completely different.

I started watching Gintama. Currently I'm up to episode 235, but I think I can make a fair assessment of the show at this point.
Somewhat Excel Saga anime like with screwball comedy, mindscrew storyline and positively out of left field, I wasn't too hooked on the show initially. Basically, I thought it swung and missed with me, I didn't like the humor, I thought it was stupid - it didn't know where it was going, crude, with too much toilet humor (I've never watched a show with toilet humor, or at least this much). It was like shooting hundred of arrows blindfolded in the hopes of hitting the target at least once. But I reasoned to myself "If this series has 250 episodes, clearly there must be something about it that's good". So I stuck it out. And you know what? It does get to you.
I never really liked the original Ruruoni Kenshin anime to begin with, but when I got to those awesome fight scenes and I fell in love with Kenshin's voice, I wanted more. More! Gintama is kind of like that. I still get a bit bored in arcs because they're often an episode or two too long. The humor sometimes hits on something epic. At the very least, there's eye candy. And Voice-actor ear candy.  Tomokazu Sugita (Gintoki) and Kazuya Nakai (Hijikata) were already much loved voice actors of mine. Kazuya voiced Date Masamune and Mugen, and Tomokazu voiced Kyon! Takasugi's voice is like whoa! Too deep for that guy.
I'm going to be a bit sad at finishing it. I rushed the series, and would download several episodes a day. But at the same time the rewatchability of most episodes was pretty low too.
What can I say, I like it a lot. But I'm also very much aware it's not the best thing out there, nor does it aspire to be. I'll probably stop fangirling soon after finishing, but I definitely want to support the series and will buy the dvds when they start releasing past the 4th set (they currently only have 50 episodes out and the movie which I already bought) and want to get all the manga volumes even though Viz stopped releasing past volume 23.
If I start talking about characters and storyling this will turn into a definite wall of text, so I'll end it here.

exckilla

• ACROSS SUPER SECRET COMMANDER
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: July 15, 2012, 11:17:17 AM »
Last animes I watch was evangelion 2.22 and pokemon double movie blu-ray pack

Inkwolf

• Social Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: August 10, 2012, 11:22:49 PM »
Finally watched Blue Seed all the way through.  I was originally put off by all the screaming and panty shots in the first few episodes, but once I gritted my teeth and got past that, it was not a bad show.

Next I watch the second half of Romeo X Juliet.  After that I may get around to D. Grey Man.

SWamP

• Unpaid Translator
  • Toilet Cleaner
  • In your house, cooking your pets.
    • View Profile
    • Efexsagá
« Reply #965 on: November 13, 2012, 02:36:22 PM »
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 02:48:39 PM by SWamP »

MincyMatsu

• Don't leave out the "!"
  • Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
  • On the internet, no one can hear you scream
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duke4.net
« Reply #966 on: November 13, 2012, 03:07:06 PM »
The Mechanical pencil part made me giggle loud :D
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

Inkwolf

• Social Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: November 13, 2012, 03:22:33 PM »
Yes, Nichijou is awesome. :D  This is the scene that convinced me to watch the whole thing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Et0a8fnuw

My last new anime was Steins: Gate, which is great, but Part 1 ended on a cliff-hanger, and I don't want to watch Part 2 until the US DVD is released (and I can come up with the cash to buy it.)

Also rewatched Last Exile, and found it more awesome than ever. The idea was that I would rewatch it, then watch the sequel series online (Fam the Silver Wing) but Episode 1 was full of moe girls falling on their faces and panty shots.  It felt sort of like going to the theater expecting an awesome new Star Wars sequel and discovering Jar Jar Binks.

MincyMatsu

• Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: November 13, 2012, 03:50:02 PM »
Bhaha, that scene was great :D

E^D Crow

• Rev. Fr. Big Orange Nose Grabber, ACROSS chaplain
  • Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: November 17, 2012, 07:19:29 AM »
I just finished Toradora!, which, I have to say, was the most satisfying romance anime I've ever watched.  I stayed away from it for a while, because I thought Taiga was going to be just another annoying tsundere, but that wasn't the case.  Funny, sad, and the ending was absolutely perfect.  Anime needs more weirdo female characters like Minori.

Also in the middle of Yuru Yuri, because, well...  because yuri!  It's pretty damn funny, and I always feel bad for Akarin.

E^D
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 07:29:25 AM by E^D Crow »

Inkwolf

• Social Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: April 09, 2013, 09:22:32 PM »
Watching Chihayafuru and enjoying it very much. ^^

Recently watched Canaan, also quite good.

Watched Clannad before that, which was not my sort of thing at all, but not painful to watch, anyway.

MincyMatsu

• Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: April 10, 2013, 08:06:03 AM »
I've started to re-watch Slayers again, with a friend..!
I'm still loving the living hell out of it :D

Inkwolf

• Social Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: May 07, 2013, 12:20:13 PM »
I'm watching Sound of the Sky, now.

I never heard of it, but I was cruising the Amazon New/Upcoming Releases for work, and came across the thin pack edition.  I had never heard of it, but it was about army girls who played trumpets, so I HAD to try it out. (high school trumpet player and ROTC dropout) I watched the sample episode (ep2) on Nozomi's Youtube channel, and even though it looked way moe, I went over to watch some more on Crunchyroll and got hooked enough to buy the DVDs.

Still haven't seen the last few episodes, but am enjoying rewatching from the beginning.

MincyMatsu

• Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: May 07, 2013, 03:39:12 PM »
Last one I saw was Redline..!

Might not have much of a story, but GODDAMN it's impressive, so much character and style, and amazing visuals, I'm pretty baffled by the animation and attention of detail in that movie!!!

Randamo

• Special Municipal Force Daitenzin Member
  • You're not my Master Chief, and that's okay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: May 10, 2013, 01:08:17 AM »
Oh boy. Since the last post?

I'll summarise a few I remember.

Heavens Memo Pad
1st half Steins;Gate
Up to the 27 episode mark of One Piece
Sengoku Basara movie
Samurai 7
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083

and so on

I've actually gotten heavily into Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I like the 2012 & 2003 versions more than the old series. But...I bought the first series too and am sooo slowly getting through it.