Author Topic: What's the last anime you've seen?  (Read 141110 times)

exckilla

• ACROSS SUPER SECRET COMMANDER
    • View Profile
Re: What's the last anime you've seen?
« Reply #885 on: June 20, 2011, 12:29:02 PM »
Finished watching my lucky star box set, I didn't like the ova much though and it was annoying there was no english dubbing for the ova. Recently watched a few old classic animes ( as in first few that got me addicted) fist of the north star (movie version) lensman, akira and project a-ko (especially when I remember hiring this one out on video and watching it about 4 times ion a row). I managed to watch the original version of urotsukidoji (all three parts) and now I understand apart from the obvious why the uk version was striped down and as I jokingly reference after watching a version of dawn of the dead argento'd.

E^D Crow

• Rev. Fr. Big Orange Nose Grabber, ACROSS chaplain
  • Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: June 20, 2011, 08:29:02 PM »
Watched KanoKon and was a bit disturbed by the whole thing.

Like, these fox/wolf-spirit-youkai chicks are, like, trying to rape this poor kid!
._.'
The whole thing seemed... off.

Otherwise:  Continued/caught up watching Birdy The Mighty: Decode, and am looking forward to watching the 2nd season.

Fun Fact:

My original copy of Season One, Disk 2 was actually coded with some DragonBall Z disk 4.
I took it back to Best Buy (weeks after the return policy) and exchanged it for a proper version.
I went so far as to have the Geek Squad guys play the 'new' Disk 2 for me, just to confirm it wasn't another DBZ mistake.

I think it was worth it.

E^D

Zozolton

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: June 21, 2011, 03:16:28 AM »
Watched Eden of the East and the two movies... That's it ? That's the series everyone was praising so much ? I can't see what they found in it.

On the + :

- The opening is great ;
- The animation is top quality ;
- The plot looks interesting at first ;

On the - :

- Saki and her friends are totally useless and have no relevance to the main plot, yet you see them as much as Akira
- The plot is really contrived and loses itself in uninteresting subplots
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
- The end of the series is pretty dumb
- And then in the second movie,
-

I did find the second movie a bit more interesting, but I really think that the author wasted a good idea.

"The problem with asshole paraplegics is that you have to get on your knees to punch them in the goddamn face, so it's not worth it most of the time."

Randamo

• Special Municipal Force Daitenzin Member
  • You're not my Master Chief, and that's okay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: June 22, 2011, 12:23:52 AM »
Wait, you saw the second movie? How?

I agree with you lots Zozolton, it seems really interesting at first but it loses steam. It might work if there was more tension, but otherwise it's just people hanging around talking.

I'm probably still going to get the second movie, but I'm not excited about it.

Zozolton

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: June 22, 2011, 06:41:09 AM »
Well, I saw the movies on an amateur translation website, so... not really legal...

But on a more positive note, I am soon going to "Japan Expo", a convention in Paris, and I will probably buy there K-ON!, Durarara !! and other interesting series.
"The problem with asshole paraplegics is that you have to get on your knees to punch them in the goddamn face, so it's not worth it most of the time."

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #890 on: June 22, 2011, 12:03:17 PM »
I just finished series recently, and the first movie. I like it a lot, but mostly I'm just curious as to how it ends! I need to see the last movie...

ConvoyButterfly

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: June 30, 2011, 09:58:51 AM »
The past few weeks have been pretty bad. How can I fuel my addictions to anime, sharp suits and fine cake if I can't be bothered to find employment?
:elcry:
Wait, this is the last anime you've seen thread. :elembarassed: Ahem. So, whilst I wait for the money graciously donated by the government for me to enjoy Outlaw Star and Chobits (which has suddenly become very available over here. When did that happen? o_0) I have been watching Soul Eater. I didn't like the principle characters to begin with, but because they were so endearing after their initial introductions I actually thought they were alright people by the close. And the scenery was bizarre, yet whimsically so. In a similar vein, I've been watching Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt. I think I like it, but I'm really confused as to the why. I'm only up to episode 2 or 3, so I'll reserve judgement on that. Haha, I was watching and thought "Hey, it looks a bit like Dead Leaves." Then I looked it up on wikipedia and saw that they both had
I also watched the second Evangelion film (which did arrive on time in the end :elhail:). Can't decide just how I feel about that either, but I will say that I almost felt as if an explaination/backstory or two has been omitted in favour of getting the main bit across. And then there's that Marie character, who (I think I heard this right on the commentary, but if not don't quote me on this!) isn't even in the originals. So, perhaps I ought to look into purchasing the originals after all. The movies are still spectacular though. Except with a capital 'S'. Dinnertime!
"Cats should stick with other cats, it's only natural."

Randamo

• View Profile
« Reply #892 on: June 30, 2011, 11:14:42 PM »
The eva movies are COMPLETELY different from the show past the second one. In fact, after
everything takes a different turn, epecially
This makes me a

I am going off to finish Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam. Await my rant.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 11:25:42 PM by Randamo »

E^D Crow

• Rev. Fr. Big Orange Nose Grabber, ACROSS chaplain
  • Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: July 01, 2011, 03:09:44 PM »
^I'm hoping the Evangelion movies eventually get released as a BluRay box set.

Just got Highschool of the Dead on BluRay, and man, is it ever purdy.

I see what you all mean about the fanservice.  After reading two volumes of the manga, I'd say it is appropriate.  I mean, the manga had fanservice turned up to 10, but the anime turned it past 11.  Some of the seemingly random up-skirt shots during serious dialogue felt out of place, but, really: the manga is just as blatant with it.  Apparently, Shouji Sato (the artist) has a history of drawing H-manga.

I was expecting:  zombies, boobs, blood, panties, guns, boobs, violence, panties... and that's exactly what it is.  Still, the more serious moments are very well done.  Over all, I'm quite satisfied, and got exactly what I expected.

Specific comments spoilerededed, in case someone hasn't seen it yet.
Also,

E^D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 03:11:44 PM by E^D Crow »

Randamo

• View Profile
« Reply #894 on: July 02, 2011, 03:57:37 AM »
this is what I get for watching a show directed by kill 'em all Tomino. The last few episodes were a massacre. 50 episodes of character buildup - all gone. Some died ridiculous deaths from nowhere. Since I like to pick a favourite, I chose Jerrid. Mm, Jerrid. He jumped in out of nowhere like Orange-kun, and that proved to be fatal. No montage either, just an explosion.

I knew this was coming. I'm not really that bothered by it. But since I'm very bored, I made the character fate chart. I got bored of that, so It's only a partial list.

I'm gonna harp on Gates though. He is a constructed newtype, just like Rosamy and Sara. Difference is, he has more stable emotions and seems not to be bothered by all the medical work, mind control and being used as a tool for war. He might have been a useful antagonist. He MAY appear in the next series. It felt like a wasted opportunity.

Was shocked by Kamile's fate. Sure, he was an angsty little jerk who stole the main role from Char, but he was amusing. He grew a bit. He became helpful. And I liked teasing him. What do I do with him now? Just look pretty Kamile... while I sort this out.

Gonna watch Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ. Continued directly after the last episode, but instead the cast is a bunch of Juvenile delinquents who steal the gundam off the battered crew of the argama. Since I've been with these characters for months, It kinda ticks me off to see these punks aggravate them. The main lead is ugly in comparison to Kamile's bishonenness.

Ah, gundam is fun. I'm actually enjoying myself very much.

exckilla

• View Profile
« Reply #895 on: July 04, 2011, 12:57:18 PM »
Death of who would seem important characters to the story line seem to be a popular thing in animes, watched all of berserker and the last episode really through me off, after guts rescues he's freaky friend, the friend rewards them by giving them to these wierd ass freaky demons, and pook seka or whatever, the girl didn't deserve that. 

ConvoyButterfly

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: July 07, 2011, 01:46:50 PM »
I suddenly came into the possession of Eden of the East (the series, not the film) earlier today. I've just finished watching it all, and am now suffering from a severe bout of joie de vivre. :ehail:

Meow.
"Cats should stick with other cats, it's only natural."

exckilla

• View Profile
« Reply #897 on: July 09, 2011, 02:07:38 PM »
Not got around to viewing yet but treated myself to the complete boxset of haruhi suzumiya season 2, it was a tough decider though between that or lord of the rings extend bluray boxset

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: July 09, 2011, 03:26:19 PM »
You should have an Endless Eight marathon party! Grab a couple 12-packs of beer, grill up some hot dogs, invite all your friends, and get ready for the greatest 4 hours of animation you'll ever witness!

exckilla

• View Profile
« Reply #899 on: July 11, 2011, 09:51:04 AM »
Bought myself the complete series of east of eden, only a tenner on blu-ray which I thought was a good buy, if I like it I may buy the movie.