Author Topic: What's the last anime you've seen?  (Read 141115 times)

Randamo

• Special Municipal Force Daitenzin Member
  • You're not my Master Chief, and that's okay.
    • View Profile
Re: What's the last anime you've seen?
« Reply #930 on: November 05, 2011, 02:05:51 PM »
Nobody else has been watching....

Anyway, I've finished watching Sengoku Basara 2! Then I went and rewatched the first season.
Sengoku Basara, as you all probably know, is based off a series of fighting games, kinda like a Japanese version of Samurai Warriors, with that hack and slash thing going on. Everything is reduced to Gurren Lagann fighting scenes with swords. If you can imagine. The second season focused on character development. After 24 episodes, you need something like that. It was great. It came out last year, so I wish it was on Blue Ray already! But us in the PAL region will have to wait much longer.

I also have the Zeta Gundam movies. They are supposed to be redone in new artwork as an anniversary thing, but more than half of the footage in the first movie is from the TV show. It feels like a rip off. The animation looks amazing when they actually re-do it. I really hope they drop the old footage in the second and third movie. I'm sure they will because they changed the ending.

Zozolton

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: November 09, 2011, 11:13:43 AM »
I've watched nearly all Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (Sayonara+Zoku+Goku+Zan) and it's really great ! This show has the perfect mix of absurdity, creepiness and dark humor. Most episodes have the same basic structure, but I never felt bored ; and as usual with SHAFT, some episodes were totally deranged, like when they go claymation or switch the voice actors or when they all speak gibberish with two different subtitle tracks. I'm now addicted to Zan ending : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOpsJYcTak0

I'm reading some Yotsuba& right now, which is pure concentrated happiness. I can't understand why I like it so much as nothing ever happens in this series, yet I can't help but smile at every page :e_pleased:.

Each week I watch the new Fate/Zero, and it's AMAZING. In 6 episodes so far, there never was any default, each moment has been so EPIC and AWESOME, it's too good to be true !

I've also been watching some series bit by bit with the anime club at my school, and in brief :
- Chrno Crusade : boring and stupid
- Gundam 00 : interesting but most characters are antipathic
- Baka to Test to Shokanjuu : funny but repetitive   
"The problem with asshole paraplegics is that you have to get on your knees to punch them in the goddamn face, so it's not worth it most of the time."

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #932 on: November 09, 2011, 02:46:14 PM »
Nobody else has been watching....
I have been. Just nothing too much noteworthy.

Randamo

• View Profile
« Reply #933 on: November 10, 2011, 04:25:44 PM »
'k

And Zozolton, SZS is a great show. I've only got the first season and some of the second downloaded on my computer, but I've watched the whole thing. It's such a visual treat and the plot just goes into wierd but funny places. I've watched Maria+Holic and it's a bit similar in story telling style - so I think SHAFT likes doing stuff like this... They also did Puella Paniponi Magica LoliGirl Superhero - sorry, I totally forget the name of the show, but you know what I mean.

Lord Il

• Spam Master
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #934 on: November 15, 2011, 05:10:30 PM »
Here's a few titles I've been watching..

Shinryaku! Ika Musume (Invasion! Squid Girl) Season 2

It's pretty much the same comedy which made season one an unusual and surprise hit last year. Squiddy is still trying to figure out the world she wants to eventually conquer on behalf of the sea. Despite her plans not working she's still having fun and making friends. Maybe humans aren't so bad afterall?
Episode 4 had to be my fav so far.. The use of English word puns was hilarious!  :il_hahaha:

Working'!! Season 2

I'm not entirely sure why this series appeals to me but perhaps it has a lot to do with the unusual characters. It's basically a slice-of-life comedy which takes place almost entirely in a restaurant. Some of the workers are a bit strange (okay, maybe a lot) in their personalities which often brings about tense and comedic situations. Most noteworthy of them, the androphobic waitress, Inami, is indeed hilarious with her over-the-top fear of men. Season 2 continues their uphill battle on not getting on their fellow co-workers' nerves while trying to run the restaurant successfully.

Carnival Phantasm

A fun and quirky look at what can happen when all of TYPE-MOON's creations are infused together in the same world. Carnival Phantasm commemorates TYPE-MOON's 10th anniversary, but don't expect deep plots here, though. This is about as nonsensical as I've ever seen these characters get. Favorite moment: Ilya getting Berserker to shop for replacement batteries for her handheld video game system. Recommended for fans of TYPE-MOON, but non-fans may not get the humour.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 12:58:20 PM by Lord Il »

Randamo

• View Profile
« Reply #935 on: November 16, 2011, 12:57:16 AM »
nice list.

I finished the second Macross Movie.

The ending? I got trrrrrrrrrrrrrooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd!!!

RGH! Seriously, the second movie was pretty crummy. I'd gotten over Macross F as time has passed and I can see the first movie's faults. It was just flashy and also changed some characters for the worse. Character development is gone. Sheryl turned into a bit of a tramp, mostly in her concerts. You know how I said the first movie had a pretty ambigious song? The second movie was even more overt, so much so I said "Sheryl, what are you doing?!" Felt like pandering to fan boys.
At least they resolved the love triangle, except
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

At least I can just push it aside as an alternate universe and take the much more fufilling tv series as canon.

ConvoyButterfly

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: November 18, 2011, 11:02:03 AM »
My housemate bought me the first volume of the Black Butler manga because of my penchant for dressing up as one and doing the dusting, hoovering, washing up, taking out the rubbish and answering the front door.
ANYWAY, I flicked through it and found it amusing enough. I had actually been meaning to get into the Black Butler anime (as soon as Funimation lets their videos available in our country) but decided just to google it and see what happened.
I watched the English dub.
As far as English accents go...it's no Hellsing. Mary Poppins perhaps, but nothing particularly authentic from any of them (fairly assumptive as I'm basing this solely on the first episode, but if it's grinding my gears now, I doubt I'll get used to it). J Michael Tatum almost gets there, but it comes off sounding (to me at least) a little too like a particularly acidic Kyoya. Sorry Sebastian, Walter C Dornez is still the head butler, inspite of his lack of tailcoat. On the otherhand the background is very nicely drawn. Cool. Well, back to hibernation. :elhail:
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 10:24:29 AM by ConvoyButterfly »
"Cats should stick with other cats, it's only natural."

Randamo

• View Profile
« Reply #937 on: December 25, 2011, 10:14:42 PM »
Finished Tiger and Bunny. I bit of a take on superhero stories. The animation looks a bit more western than one expects anime to. Enjoyable, and had much less angsty teenagers than some series I watch. Except Barnaby talks too much about his parents...

FINALLY! After so much time, I finished ZZ gundam. After they shipped my beloved Kamille into the mental ward, I've had to watch screaming teenagers fight over the possesion of the gundam. After Zeta it feels like a downgrade in piloting skill and believable villains. I can't help but feel if Kamille or Char were around, all the villains would have died in 5 episodes. I stuck around to figure out what Kamille's conclusion was and I'm satisfied. I guess. (obviously isn't, but whatever)

It's not that ZZ gundam was bad. I just felt like I was ripped from my favourite characters and they have to sit in the background until I watch Char's Counterattack - set 7(?) years after Zeta. The new characters weren't bad either. Judau was actually angstless in comparison to Amuro and Kamille and seemed more likable. I guess after Zeta, which was a predominately adult and male (there were several key female characters but I didn't feel girled out like in ZZ) series, the problems they faced seemed minor in comparison, which could have been resolved quicker. And the yelling between them all. Ugh, shut up!

Not to mention, ZZ is 47 episodes long. It certainly didn't need to be. Kamille's screentime compressed was less than an episode. I keep complaining about Kamille but that's because he was the main character before and I wanted him to have more input. aaannnd, I turned into a fangirl of his.

On a positive note, I liked the animation stlye in this one. Everyone wore bizare 80-90 clothing that gave it a retro look. Lesse, less angst in ZZ. Less death (but they managed to kill my two favourite guys. Damn it.). And a happier ending. It was a bit dorky, but it made me laugh a bit in the beginning.

Inkwolf

• Social Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: December 26, 2011, 07:46:56 AM »
Watched Itsudatte My Santa yesterday in honor of Christmas.  It's very, very mediocre. :D Gradually going through Sergeant Frog.

I'm at a loss what anime to watch next.  There's got to be a loony comedy out there I haven't seen yet.  At one point I thought I had watched them all, and then I discovered Papuwa, so there's got to be more hidden insanity out there somewhere. :D

I've enjoyed a pleasant obsession with Hikaru No Go and playing Go this past year. :D
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 07:49:55 AM by Inkwolf »

DEFENSE!! DEFENSE!!___OFFENSE!! OFFENSE!!

Randamo

• View Profile
« Reply #939 on: December 28, 2011, 06:30:14 PM »
Sengoku Basara The Last Party movie.

Char's Counterattack - awww.......... it was a bit anticlimatic. This movie made me hate lolis.

I hate lolis.

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: December 28, 2011, 07:23:20 PM »
Fate/Zero.
It was awesome. :im_nabeshin:

Lord Il

• Spam Master
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #941 on: December 29, 2011, 12:13:42 AM »
Fate/Zero.
That's good to hear. I guess I got somewhat discouraged after someone told me the first episode bored them. But I've still been wanting to check it out eventually.

E^D Crow

• Rev. Fr. Big Orange Nose Grabber, ACROSS chaplain
  • Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: December 29, 2011, 12:36:21 PM »
Just finished Darker Than Black Gemini of the Meteor.

Wow.  It was great.  Shorter than the first season, but with a much quicker pace to the story.  Season one was very good, but seemed to drag on at times.  Watching the OVAs at the end was kind of weird, since they took place between seasons 1 & 2, but I don't regret waiting until the end.

The whole thing is a great series.  Smart, sexy, mysterious, violent, funny, and does not pander to the lowest common denominator.

E^D

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: December 29, 2011, 12:37:50 PM »
Fate/Zero.
That's good to hear. I guess I got somewhat discouraged after someone told me the first episode bored them. But I've still been wanting to check it out eventually.
It sets up the story, and it's actually pretty interesting. If they thought that was boring, I highly doubt they ever read the F/SN visual novel...

ConvoyButterfly

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: January 12, 2012, 10:35:58 AM »
Got all the episodes of the Moomins in the post today.

'Nuff said. :elpleased:
"Cats should stick with other cats, it's only natural."