Poll

Whos with me

Yay
13 (92.9%)
Nay
1 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: December 01, 2006, 12:31:54 PM

Author Topic: What book are you reading at the moment? not manga.  (Read 18912 times)

Randamo

• Special Municipal Force Daitenzin Member
  • You're not my Master Chief, and that's okay.
    • View Profile
Re: What book are you reading at the moment? not manga.
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2007, 10:36:45 PM »
well, i'm reading notes from the underground 'dostroyevsy' hope thats spelt right...
my favourite books are ian flemming books, hitchickers guide to the galaxy, honestly, the movie sucked, catch 22...others, there are others...

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2007, 07:19:34 AM »
hitchickers guide to the galaxy, honestly, the movie sucked,

Yeah, it did.  The books are epic, though.

Randamo

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2007, 08:17:37 PM »

yeah, i lived the tv show. have you seen it? it very similar to the books, except the series ends at book 3. I liked it because they cut the seance. Funny, when i read hitchhikers the second time, that was when i actually noticed it. I must have been enjoyong them so much i didn't even take in what i was reading...
I finished the 4 books in week...
havent read the fifth book though. sister told me it would make me sad. Cause it was like 1984, which i have read. Don't like sad stories.

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2007, 08:27:14 PM »

yeah, i lived the tv show. have you seen it? it very similar to the books, except the series ends at book 3. I liked it because they cut the seance. Funny, when i read hitchhikers the second time, that was when i actually noticed it. I must have been enjoyong them so much i didn't even take in what i was reading...
I finished the 4 books in week...
havent read the fifth book though. sister told me it would make me sad. Cause it was like 1984, which i have read. Don't like sad stories.

Funny, I thought there were only 4 books.  I'll have to look into this fifth one.

I've seen bits and pieces of the show, thought it was pretty good.

Randamo

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2007, 08:33:59 PM »
Yeah, they made four books into a large one, then cut the fifth one. weird...
the thing is, i heard it was very, VERY different. not as good as the others, and very depressing. Arthurs all by himself...
Its called mostly harmless if you're still interested, but i was told not to read it, so maybe you shouldn't.
I read the salmon of doubt, and Douglas adams talks about how he was having a really bad year when he wrote it. He planned to write a 6th one, happy, and that had everyone in it...but he had to die like that....(CRY)
a heart attack on a treadmill(not sure if the treadmill part is true)
in 2001...

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2007, 08:37:09 PM »
Yeah, they made four books into a large one, then cut the fifth one. weird...
the thing is, i heard it was very, VERY different. not as good as the others, and very depressing. Arthurs all by himself...
Its called mostly harmless if you're still interested, but i was told not to read it, so maybe you shouldn't.
I read the salmon of doubt, and Douglas adams talks about how he was having a really bad year when he wrote it. He planned to write a 6th one, happy, and that had everyone in it...but he had to die like that....(CRY)
a heart attack on a treadmill(not sure if the treadmill part is true)
in 2001...

Did you ever play the Hitchhiker's Guide Text Adventure PC Game?  Hardest damn video game I've ever played.

Randamo

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2007, 08:50:26 PM »
No. I do want to see Starship Titanic though. It's another game he made.
Terry (something) wrote a book based on it. I want to get it.
But i can only get it from ebay, and my brothers never around and my sister got kicked out because she complained about something. (got a couple stories about they're ebay habits)

FullmetalExcel

• Civil Servant
  • Bath time senior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/redneckcoriell
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2007, 07:32:25 PM »
My grand mother made me read gone with the wind...and i loved it!! that was a awesome book. i love books that take place in that time. i am now going to read scarlet. but i hear it kinda sucks (its the sequel to gone with the wind)
ay im a otuku and a metalhead. put them togeather and i become god. check me out on myspace www.myspace.com/redneckcoriell ..marry me excel!!!

Randamo

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2007, 04:23:06 AM »
i actually bought bees and flowers...they're always advertising that one in the E.S books. I had my suspicions that it was one and I checked as soon as I got it...but yes,...i did buy an R(mature) rated book. at fifteen. urrgh.... and i got away with it. I must say though...it would just be older teen..nothing really happens that would make it rate so badly. I keep buying books too old for me. My first manga(at 12) was 16+.
Damn, im sorry....this is not manga. however, im too lazy to do anything about it. sorry.
pretty good book though. Funny parts, i would get the next one. won't tell my sister the rating though...

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2007, 06:19:11 AM »
Red Dragon by Thomas Harris.

FullmetalExcel

• Civil Servant
  • Bath time senior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/redneckcoriell
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2007, 09:52:11 PM »
i just finished scarlet and it was okay, but not as good as gone with the wind
ay im a otuku and a metalhead. put them togeather and i become god. check me out on myspace www.myspace.com/redneckcoriell ..marry me excel!!!

Inkwolf

• Social Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2007, 07:14:11 PM »
I pretty much never read romance books, but now I am reading an old Harlequin titled The Grand Finale.  Why? Because it's the ancient remaining copy the library has on it, and it was written by Janet Evanovich, now famous for her hilarious series about Stephanie Plum, bounty hunter.

And it's funny, too.  The heroine has already attempted to deliver a pizza, climbed a tree to rescue a kitten, seen the male lead undressing hough the upstairs window, fallen out of the tree onto his pizza, and watched her pizza delivery vehicle roll over a cliff.  And that's all in the first chapter.

Good stuff....

DEFENSE!! DEFENSE!!___OFFENSE!! OFFENSE!!

Randamo

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2007, 04:09:15 AM »
what else has that writer done. her name is familiar. or am i thinking of that prostitute from pretty woman, or something?

Jinzaki

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2007, 02:33:19 AM »
I got the print version of John Dies at the End by David Wong of www.pointlesswasteoftime.com which is one of the best comedy sites out there.

The book's actually available to read online, but I don't want to kill my eyes
For the last, time, it's a panda...

Inkwolf

• Social Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2007, 11:28:53 AM »
what else has that writer done. her name is familiar. or am i thinking of that prostitute from pretty woman, or something?

Like I said, she wrote the Stephanie Plum series.
One for the Money
Two for the Dough
Three to get Deadly
Four to Score, etc.  Lean Mean Thirteen just came out, and I had to wait for months to get the library audiobook of it.

It's a comedy/mystery series about an unemployed woman from New Jersey who goes to work as a bounty hunter for her cousin's bond office. Gun-totin' grannies, exploding cars, all sorts of fun.

It's good to read this old romance and hit patches of really lousy wriing from time to time.  Gives me hope for my career as an author!

DEFENSE!! DEFENSE!!___OFFENSE!! OFFENSE!!