Author Topic: First manga.  (Read 12222 times)

Randamo

• Special Municipal Force Daitenzin Member
  • You're not my Master Chief, and that's okay.
    • View Profile
First manga.
« on: August 11, 2007, 01:44:27 AM »
OKAY, WHAT FIRST LEAD YOU TO THE BITTERSWEET, SOUR AND LIGHTLY SALTY ROAD OF MANGA AND ANIME. FOR ME IT WAS LOVE HINA, FOLLOWED BY CHOBITS, GTO AND STUFF LIKE THAT.
GO!

HA1L ILPALLAZZO

• I have returned
  • Spam Master
  • HA1L ILPALAZZO
    • View Profile
Re: First manga.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 01:55:07 AM »
hmmmm...... I guess it would be Nadesico
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 07:52:15 AM by HA1L ILPALLAZZO »

MincyMatsu

• Don't leave out the "!"
  • Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
  • On the internet, no one can hear you scream
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duke4.net
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 03:18:40 AM »
My first was Ranma½...
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 07:50:56 AM »
Hellsing.  I didn't know it was manga at the time, though, just another comic at the shop.

Uncreativity

• Solarian Princess
  • Dept of City Security
  • KANIMISO!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 08:51:13 AM »
Hmm... there were some that I tried to read. For awhile in my confused and naive youth, I even tried to get myself to like Fushigi Yuugi. The first manga that I really, deeply enjoyed was Angel Sanctuary.

Her Excellency The Pink Bunny

• You see nothing!
  • Spam Master
  • ;D
    • View Profile
    • Pink Bunny's Twitter
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 11:01:24 AM »
My first was Gundam Wing, I read it so much that it fell apart.
I don't have as many manga because just having nearly 50 manga is pushing my father's tolerance of what he called my obession with all things Japan.

E-E

• Head of City Security
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 03:17:39 PM »
cant remeber which out of the two it was first but it was either:

Ghost in the shell
or
Akira

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 05:44:35 PM »
OKAY, WHAT FIRST LEAD YOU TO THE BITTERSWEET, SOUR AND LIGHTLY SALTY ROAD OF MANGA AND ANIME.
Well, if that didn't succeed in making me thirsty.... :icon_lol:

The original Ghost In The Shell movie is primarily to blame for my addiction. I think it was Excel Saga that managed to put me over the point of no return though with both the anime and manga.

Then when the monthly Shonen Jump hit the stores, it continued to open doors even further to what was out there.

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 08:28:49 PM »
I picked up on manga later than anime, but Ghost in the Shell (the movies then the series) got me interested in the original source material and there I went.  Been a little crazy from there.

now I have no less than 265 manga

Sweet jumping Jesus on a pogo stick, that's a helluva lot of manga.  I have 26 graphic novel compilations all total, and a couple of individual issues of Blade of the Immortal, which I only recently discovered was offered in individual installments, which is great since the wait for new volumes can take a year or more in some cases.  I have read a couple hundred manga maybe, but I don't own that many.  Wee-ooh.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 08:52:42 AM »
I have pictures of them. Just recently got a new bookshelf so I can fit them all on at once without having to stack them sideways! ^_^
*pushes his eyeballs back into his head* O_O

That is amazing. Reminds me of my local bookstore.  :e_tongue:
Next to the comic shop I frequent, they have one of the largest selection of manga titles 'round here.

MincyMatsu

• Don't leave out the "!"
  • Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
  • On the internet, no one can hear you scream
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duke4.net
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 12:54:05 PM »
I have pictures of them. Just recently got a new bookshelf so I can fit them all on at once without having to stack them sideways! ^_^

What can I say? I love books, and I can't stop. :)

Sometimes i wish some parts of your room (and the content, obivously) would belong to me :o
I have no such thing as a bookshelf, nor do i have place for one :(
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2007, 01:10:02 PM »
I just have a rather small one filled with my manga and various sci-fi/fantasy paperbacks.  I'm at the point where if I keep collecting manga some of the paperbacks will need to be relocated elsewhere since I can't support a big bookcase like that in my room.  Between the corner desk, bed, electronics case, TV stand, and sword rack I'm full up.  I can't even get that old 155mm artillery shell casing I was planning to get as an industrial sized piggy bank - if I filled that thing I'd have bonza bucks.  Don't ask me how I'd get the sonuvabitch out of the house though, I'd likely need a furniture dolly :D.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Randamo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2007, 10:27:00 PM »
 :e_love: :e_love: :elcry: :h_embarassed: :e_love: :elembarassed: :e_crying: :e_shocked: :eheart: :elvery happy: :h_embarassed:
 :g_hail: :im_nabeshin: :elhail:
NEW SMILEYS!
yeah i have 93 manga titles, i had to get a bookshelf at the start of the year, but i need a new one.
i used to have a box, and thats all i needed...
when i had 20, people said it looked like a bookstore, what an exaggeration.
*pushes his eyeballs back into his head* O_O

That is amazing. Reminds me of my local bookstore.  :e_tongue:
Next to the comic shop I frequent, they have one of the largest selection of manga titles 'round here.

as for me, i have to get someone to take me for a 20 minute ride to the nearest borders, yes, we have borders in australia. the borders there has no ai yori aoshi, or stuff like that, has unfinished series, has up to 14 excel saga books and recently only had 1, 2 , 9, 10, 11 12 13 14. only 8 excel saga books.
there is a small fan base here in the desert island(not that i live in the desert). luckily, i can order from amazon, convert the price, order, and have it sent here in a month... :e_crying:
i wanna live in sydney, they have a couple borders and a japanese manga store, not that i can read it. but it's and hour and a half drive away...

Randamo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2007, 10:37:07 PM »
LOL, 20 minutes? Man, I wish I had only a 20-minute drive. My bookstore is an hour away. (But I still make good use of it.)

Why not ask your Borders to order the books? Mine always could.
It's a matter of being too lazy to get the bus,not having anyone wanting to drive me too often than a couple of times a year, and being just too poor. If i ordered, i would have to go again, and no-one wants to take me, blah, blah, blah.
maybe if I wasn't lazy...

Randamo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 12:15:12 AM »
Is there nothing else by the Borders that makes it worth going to? :/
They dont have what i want most of the time. i had to get excel saga 2 first. sometimes i have a plan of what i want to get and i have a very limited amount of money i can spend. But they dont have the book i want, sold the entire series and stopped selling it(W juliet) and it takes months to get new books in.
i have to then do the calculations in my mind, and fit the amount i have to pay with the amount of money i have, and it takes forever. it's part of the reason no-one wants to take me.
  what may have been out in America may take months to get to Australia, and they might never have it. Im just too poor, and want too many books.
but they do have ian flemming books. that's good. but they only have 5 books or something.
and no. everyone hates the shopping centre that has borders, they hate the place.

OKAY, WHAT FIRST LEAD YOU TO THE BITTERSWEET, SOUR AND LIGHTLY SALTY ROAD OF MANGA AND ANIME.
Well, if that didn't succeed in making me thirsty.... :icon_lol:

The original Ghost In The Shell movie is primarily to blame for my addiction. I think it was Excel Saga that managed to put me over the point of no return though with both the anime and manga.

Then when the monthly Shonen Jump hit the stores, it continued to open doors even further to what was out there.

That's a quote! in the episode where the excel girls go to school, excel says "its been a while since excel was at school. It reminds me of such bittersweet, sour and lightly salty days'