Author Topic: Awful News  (Read 4780 times)

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
Awful News
« on: November 27, 2007, 04:40:32 PM »
Say goodbye to Geneon, kids.

From Wikipedia articles regarding Geneon, Hellsing Ultimate, and Higurashi:

"As of August 2007, the US branch of Geneon has, from information provided by press releases, been removed from distribution and production of both Hellsing Ultimate and numerous other anime. This is due to issues with a merger of distribution responsibilities between Geneon US and AVD Films. Therefore, the release dates for Hellsing Ultimate in terms of the US dub are non-existent."

"On August 24, 2007, it had been announced by ICV2 that ADV Films would handle distribution, marketing and sales of Geneon properties on October 1 and that Geneon would still be able to acquire, license and produce anime in North America, but that everything else would be handled by ADV. However, on September 20, 2007, the Anime News Network broke news that the distribution deal between ADV and Geneon had been canceled.
Dentsu confirmed the distribution deal as canceled through a press release on September 21, 2007; no details were given other than Geneon and ADV were "unable to reach a mutual agreement.""

"However, in September 2007, Geneon's U.S. division announced that it would discontinue all ongoing anime projects, including Higurashi, effective November 6, 2007. Only three of a planned six DVDs of Higurashi were released, under the title "When They Cry: Higurashi"."

What are your thoughts about this?

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
Re: Awful News
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 06:22:02 PM »
Wow, I wonder what happened to Geneon, they've always been a major player in the anime market, now it seems like they've been gutted.  And now Higurashi is cut off at three volumes in the U.S.?  Lame, what the hell happened?

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 06:43:34 PM »
Wow, I wonder what happened to Geneon, they've always been a major player in the anime market, now it seems like they've been gutted.  And now Higurashi is cut off at three volumes in the U.S.?  Lame, what the hell happened?
I honestly have no idea.  Now I can't finish Hellsing Ultimate dubbed or buy the complete series of Higurashi on DVD. :(

skycloud

• Author
  • Dept of City Security
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 07:09:34 PM »
Wait is still going ot be made in Japan right? So can still see Hellsing Ultimate

I have to find a time in the near future to go back and restore the world.
                 -Kyon

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 07:21:53 PM »
Wait is still going ot be made in Japan right? So can still see Hellsing Ultimate
Yeah, but the dub is sooooo much better.

And I have morality issues about watching fansubbed anime.  I mean, good ol' Shinichi Watanabe (Nabeshin) himself has talked down about people who don't buy the anime they watch.

skycloud

• Author
  • Dept of City Security
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 07:54:03 PM »
Well this is kinda a case where it cant be helped dont you think?

Besides people who think this isnt paying should realize that the being online aint free. It costs money to be able to access the web! So I have paid to view and use what the online world has to offer, ive paid my dues...

-Kyon

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 07:56:49 PM »
Well this is kinda a case where it cant be helped dont you think?
That is my only solace.

skycloud

• Author
  • Dept of City Security
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 08:08:24 PM »
solace?

-Kyon

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 08:13:19 PM »
solace?
"–noun Also called sol·ace·ment.
1. comfort in sorrow, misfortune, or trouble; alleviation of distress or discomfort."

Necrominion

• Chief Combatant
  • ~Desu?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 12:35:25 AM »
Bugger :lordilvryannoyed: I am going to have to wait even longer for hellsing now.
If ignorance is bliss, why aren't many people happy?

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 05:43:28 AM »
Besides people who think this isnt paying should realize that the being online aint free. It costs money to be able to access the web! So I have paid to view and use what the online world has to offer, ive paid my dues...

You've paid an ISP, not the producers of any content that appears on the internet.  That's a rather silly justification.

But I will say I watch fansubs sometimes - namely when the anime in question has not yet made it over here and there's no choice in the matter.  This was the case with the second season of Ah! My Goddess, Dokuro-Chan, FMP: The Second Raid, and the latter episodes of Bleach.  In the cases of Ah! My Godess and FMPSR I have begun purchasing them, but none of the later Bleach eps are out yet, and I don't know when Dokuro-chan is coming over.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Uncreativity

• Solarian Princess
  • Dept of City Security
  • KANIMISO!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 09:10:31 AM »
I don't see anything wrong with fansubs or scanlations, as long as you actually continue to buy anime and manga. Maybe I refuse to buy an anime or manga I've never seen before, but in the end, I still buy a lot of anime and manga. Even if you hate dubs, you have no excuse not to buy it. If the anime industry doesn't make money, we won't have an anime industry.

HA1L ILPALLAZZO

• I have returned
  • Spam Master
  • HA1L ILPALAZZO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 10:44:39 AM »
wait no dubbed hellsing ultimate. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

skycloud

• Author
  • Dept of City Security
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 02:32:52 PM »

You've paid an ISP, not the producers of any content that appears on the internet.  That's a rather silly justification.

But I will say I watch fansubs sometimes - namely when the anime in question has not yet made it over here and there's no choice in the matter.  This was the case with the second season of Ah! My Goddess, Dokuro-Chan, FMP: The Second Raid, and the latter episodes of Bleach.  In the cases of Ah! My Godess and FMPSR I have begun purchasing them, but none of the later Bleach eps are out yet, and I don't know when Dokuro-chan is coming over.

Its actually perfectly reasonable. I spend money to access the internet and view what it has to offer me. Where the money goes after that I have no control over, they should give it to those that have provided the entertainment.

If I were to say it... It would be like paying for a ticket to a performance and watching the show but the actors doing it arent getting paid for their work. But regardless I paid for the show and its up to the ones in charge to give them their just payment. Not me.

But regardless, I do pay for what I can pay for when its avaliable. I just get pissed at the delay lag time from their to here...

-Kyon

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 04:31:14 PM »
Geneon USA President & CEO Sends Message to Fans
posted on 2007-10-06 04:31 EDT
Geneon to explore distribution options, others report work continues on some anime

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The anime licensee Geneon Entertainment (USA) notified members of its Geneon Spot fan club that the club will be closing as part of the company's restructuring. It also sent the following message from its President and CEO, Eiji Orii:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
October 5, 2007
To our fans,

Recently, we announced that we will not be accepting orders on Geneon products after Friday, September 28, 2007. We have read your comments that you have emailed and posted on various web sites, and received your numerous calls.

At this time, we are internally discussing plans to explore all available options to continue distribution of Geneon titles, both old and new, at a later date. However, nothing is certain at this time. We will release more information to the public once we have any concrete plans, if any.

We would like to thank you for your support over the last 20+ years - first as Pioneer and then as Geneon. We have worked hard to bring you the best in Japanese animation and you have responded with an intense passion and support for our products.

As Geneon evolves, we hope that we can continue to be a part of your future.

Thank you,

(signed)
Eiji Orii
President and CEO, Geneon Entertainment (USA) Inc.

Source: Anime News Network

".. at a later date." That still didn't make me feel much better about it.

It would seem that Geneon USA hasn't been balancing the books too well and has suddenly come to the realization of financial woes. A shame really. Especially since the main Japan counterpart, Geneon Entertainment, is quite literally a giant in the far east with production and distribution.

Since the earlier days before and after Pioneer Animation became Geneon, I've regarded them as one of the bigger powerhouses of licensing and distribution of quality anime titles (Although ADV is probably a heavy contender for top spot too). This is what makes this all the more confusing and disappointing.

And you've gotta wonder why ADV Films couldn't reach an agreement of some sort with the proposed merger. You would think that such a merger would prove extremely beneficial to both parties. To simply halt production on their current series is such a waste... A drop in the bucket. I mean, how many will want to buy a series now such as When They Cry - Higurashi with the possibility it'll never be completed? O.o (And yeah, I was thinking of buying that series soon ever since I realized it was licensed and available at the local HMV.) I've a feeling that some anime series will be collecting dust on the store shelves because of this fact.

Oh well. Maybe someone else other than ADV will step in and help Geneon USA out. Or maybe they'll somehow bail themselves out on their own. Just hope for the best.