Author Topic: WTF is this character?  (Read 16605 times)

Carl Horn

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
Re: WTF is this character?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 10:15:43 AM »
If I remember, Iwata is sobbing that he wants a little sister like Sumiyoshi has, and Watanabe mutters, "Well, I've got one too, but it's not all glasses and braids, you know." Watanabe's sister reminds me a little of Megumi from Oh My Goddess!

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2008, 02:52:05 PM »
Watanabe's sister reminds me a little of Megumi from Oh My Goddess!
Interesting.

So from what you know behind the doors of Viz and have seen up to this point, will Watanabe's sister ever see the light of day in the manga, Carl? Or has she truly been shelved.

Randamo

• Special Municipal Force Daitenzin Member
  • You're not my Master Chief, and that's okay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2008, 06:27:37 PM »
she doesn't look all that much like him - squinty eyes and scary faces are the family traits!

i keep thinking that there isn't that many women. let see:
9 women main characters and 6 guy characters. lets not forget that most of the temp characters are usually guys: you know, prison guards, bosses, construction workers, tv producers.
it levels it out i guess, so i don't think about it.

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2008, 02:02:21 PM »
she doesn't look all that much like him - squinty eyes and scary faces are the family traits!
Well for me it was mostly all about the hair - pitch black, straight, and both pretty much the same length.

i keep thinking that there isn't that many women. let see:
9 women main characters and 6 guy characters. lets not forget that most of the temp characters are usually guys: you know, prison guards, bosses, construction workers, tv producers.
it levels it out i guess, so i don't think about it.
Actually, you might be correct on that now that I think about it more closely. I may have been blinded by the number of times I see key female characters appear to shape the story as opposed to male.

Randamo

• Special Municipal Force Daitenzin Member
  • You're not my Master Chief, and that's okay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2008, 10:45:22 PM »
well i think rikdo would rather draw pretty, well endowed women than people like sumiyoshi - even though he would be easier to draw.

i think its funny when anime family members have the same hair, i mean, they even have the same cut.

Dr. Iwata

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2008, 07:20:59 AM »
It would have been funny if she was brought in as another member of ACROSS :il_hahaha:

I think that really would drive Watanabe over the edge for good.

Maverick375

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2008, 10:31:37 AM »
Just from those sketches, she and Matsuya could play bad-cop bad-cop till they're blue in the face. I've always found Matsuya to be my personal favorite due to her seriousness and sarcasm in the face of the outright lunacy. Given the er...less wacky... nature of Watanabe in the majority of the manga, his family is likely not the type to produce a wacky character.

I think she'd be an interesting addition to complement Matsuya in the serious department. She doesn't look like she's as emotionally closed as Matsuya. In direct  comparison, she'd probably seem almost perky.

Maybe I'm just thinking wishfully.

Carl Horn

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2008, 11:57:34 AM »
One of the things I like about Matsuya is the way she views Ropponmatsu II not as a person, but as a programmed machine (which of course, she is). Why do I like that? Not because I have anything against Nishiki, but because Matsuya's unsentimental attitude is somewhat unusual in manga, which has a tradition of treating robots as people that dates back to Astro Boy.

MincyMatsu

• Don't leave out the "!"
  • Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
  • On the internet, no one can hear you scream
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duke4.net
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2008, 01:30:05 PM »
I like that about her too... The most obvious moment where she came with her opinion regarding that, was at the time Ropponmatsu I had her first "Glitch"... Hahahaha
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2008, 02:02:39 PM »
I always liked Matsuya because she is the voice of sarcastic reason, and the only one who is strictly logical out of anyone in the manga.  She has her foibles, and is obviously not very well socialized (especially since she spends all of her time with freaks, weirdos, and mad men.  And Momochi - who is also sane, but also sinister IMO.  There is definitely something up with that woman).

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2009, 12:24:59 PM »
I'm also wondering WTF this character is (don't have a scanner right now. For those in the know, I'm talking about volume 9, page 21, first panel, the woman walking in the foreground when Detective Excel escapes from nurse Fukuya's house in the side story.) Now, we all know Rikdo never draws a character he hasn't used already or isn't planning to use in in the future. So who the hell is she? I haven't found her in any of the other books. She kinda sorta resembles Miwa, but I don't think that that could be it.

SWamP

• Unpaid Translator
  • Toilet Cleaner
  • In your house, cooking your pets.
    • View Profile
    • Efexsagá
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2009, 02:53:25 PM »
I'm also wondering WTF this character is (don't have a scanner right now. For those in the know, I'm talking about volume 9, page 21, first panel, the woman walking in the foreground when Detective Excel escapes from nurse Fukuya's house in the side story.) Now, we all know Rikdo never draws a character he hasn't used already or isn't planning to use in in the future. So who the hell is she? I haven't found her in any of the other books. She kinda sorta resembles Miwa, but I don't think that that could be it.

Main characters of Arahabaki, another Rikudo's work.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 03:12:14 PM by El Sargento »

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2009, 05:37:52 AM »
Well, that was fast. Thanks for the timely reply. I hadn't even thought about the guy in the foreground - I just always thought he was Doctor Iwata, even though it wouldn't make any sense for him to be so tan in one panel and then appear from a tank some pages later. But hey, Excel Saga, amirite?

Coincidentally El Sargento, where's that picture in your sig from? I'm guessing volume 20 since it's the only one I don't have yet, but I might be wrong.

SWamP

• Unpaid Translator
  • Toilet Cleaner
  • In your house, cooking your pets.
    • View Profile
    • Efexsagá
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2009, 12:40:16 PM »
Coincidentally El Sargento, where's that picture in your sig from? I'm guessing volume 20 since it's the only one I don't have yet, but I might be wrong.

Volume 21  :e_wink:

exckilla

• ACROSS SUPER SECRET COMMANDER
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2009, 01:07:22 PM »
Are any new characters likely to appear in volumes 20 and beyond