Author Topic: Black Lagoon  (Read 19557 times)

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
Re: Black Lagoon
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2008, 05:26:36 AM »
#20 wasn't my favorite overall either, and #24 did seem rather slow at the end, a little too intentionally drawn out, but I can't declare there were any bad episodes.  On a scale of 1-5, most of the eps hit a 4-5, while those two were maybe a 3, though I liked the epilogue to 24 (I know she didn't really shoot her, but it was a good endcap for the series up to that point).  It was for the most part a very consistent series.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile

Necrominion

• Chief Combatant
  • ~Desu?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2008, 02:45:49 AM »
Wow a good 200 and odd more 'fucks' than the japanese version
If ignorance is bliss, why aren't many people happy?

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2008, 07:56:58 AM »
Ah I saw that  :icon_lol:, 259 in all, hehe, yeah they really did go over the top with the swearing in English.  I loved the part where Eda saw the boat was gone though - the Japanese part was better, but I must admit I loled a bit :D.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

R Kenshin

• Bio Scientist
  • Toilet Cleaner
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2008, 02:09:48 PM »
you know what i like about the series. I like how at the end they have this samurai that can frikkin cut a bullet with his sword. WTF :il_hahaha:    That was so awesome I watched it 5 times. In any case, I agree that Black Lagoon is a great series. too bad Geneon isn't releasing the DVD's anymore after they sunk ship.
Roar, Roar, fight the power

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2008, 07:23:47 PM »
I just finished reading through the end of volume 7 of the Black Lagoon manga, and I must say, this newest arc (the very long, still ongoing one that takes place directly after TSB) is probably the best one yet. It seems that Mr. Hiroe has gotten better at writing, as there's a bigger focus on plot and character development this time around, and in the 12 translated chapters so far, there has only been one action scene. Also unlike the previous arcs, there is actually a sense of continuity with the rest of the series: stuff from the first Roberta arc, the Japan arc, and the Greenback Jane arc are carried over.

And I'm glad to see that Dutch and Benny are main characters once again. Unlike in previous chapters, Benny actually seems important in this one.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 07:28:13 PM by Foggle »

ElTigreNumeroUno

• Pedophile Scientist
    • View Profile
    • http://s3.invisionfree.com/Excel_Saga/
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2008, 01:21:38 AM »
Watched the first half in English, second half in Japanese. Gotta say I liked the English voice actors a lot better. If they ever dub the second half, can't wait for Revi to speak in English so Rock can't understand her...and then switch back to English to talk to Rock.  :icon_mrgreen:

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2008, 09:32:30 AM »
No, actually they all normally speak English - on the boat and such, and when Rock was translating for Balalaika (gotta love me some Russian guitar, lol) they were speaking in English between each other.  Rock knows several languages, at least English and of course his native Japanese, and likely some more, so when Revi was swearing in Engrish it was done that way since no one else there could understand her, but Rock could.  However I agree for the most part that the English dub cast for the main characters was good, but the secondary character voices and background characters were lackluster to poor.  I really liked Dutch, Eda, and Benny's English VAs, Revi and Rock were middling, Balalaika's seemed to lack the same flair, and most of them are downhill from there. But if it saves me from Engrish, which is really only common is TSB, which we will likely never see (:() then I would try the dub.

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2008, 02:06:39 PM »

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2008, 05:52:47 PM »
Good news, I hope it continues to grow.  I'll be looking for the Fan Subs, unless some enterprising anime company decides to be intelligent and buy the rights from the rotting carcass of Geneon USA (along with certain other titles we all like - Higurashi, Hellsing Ultimate, etc).

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2008, 09:21:28 PM »
Well, all of the Second Barrage DVDs are now officially out in America.  Anyone else picked them up yet?

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2008, 06:30:54 AM »
I have volume 1 of the Second Barrage, and all the first season.  I'm hoping my peeps grab the next two for me this Christmas  :im_nabeshin:

ElTigreNumeroUno

• Pedophile Scientist
    • View Profile
    • http://s3.invisionfree.com/Excel_Saga/
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2009, 07:08:09 PM »
Picked up the second barrage over Christmas. Excellent work by the dub cast as expected. Made me really excited for the new season.

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2009, 04:27:31 PM »
So, Season 3 is apparently coming out in July or August of this year. I can't wait. :im_nabeshin:

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2009, 07:06:45 PM »
Hell yeah, and I have the complete series now (thanks to said peeps). Looking forward to more.