Author Topic: Chit Chat thread  (Read 126329 times)

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
Re: Chit Chat thread
« Reply #120 on: September 07, 2009, 09:04:56 PM »
I think I will make a Twitter account just so that I can inform everybody when I make a bowel movement. Pretty much what it's for anyway...

Also, half done with my thesis draft and so far it has the Major professor's high approval. Makes it a lot easier to work on it, I tell ya.

Also I heard YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook are joining forces to create a new community site combining the benefits of all three. It will be called "YouTwitFace!"

(note: this last part is complete bunk)

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Pamplemousse

• That Office Lady!
  • Toilet Cleaner
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 08, 2009, 01:16:56 PM »
Also I heard YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook are joining forces to create a new community site combining the benefits of all three. It will be called "YouTwitFace!"
:il_hahaha: Extremely true... I refuse to get a Twitter, but must admit that I fall victim to Facebook and Youtube at times.
So what's the thesis subject? I'm interested! And what degree are you going for?
I considered going into grad school right after I got my BA, but I want to work a bit first (and if I can find a company that reimburses for education, brilliant!).
The closest thing I've done to a thesis was my senior project (which concerned the state of the common foreign and security policy of the EU) for my International Studies degree and that was with three people and still a pain in the posterior.  :e_confused:
I, Pamplemousse, do not believe in alligators.

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 08, 2009, 09:01:52 PM »
My thesis is titled "Fear and Loathing in American Literature: Freedom, the American Dream, and Hunter S. Thompson." It concerns the early work of Hunter S. Thompson, a well-known countercultural writer of the 60's and 70's primarily, and how I believe that his work deserves greater recognition in academia. He's mostly been marginalized as a pop-culture writer because he talks about being high, uses naughty language, and breaks everyone else's rules. Close to half done with the draft, and will have that finished by the end of the month. Then I need to have the final edit prepared by October 24th so that I can get it to my committee. It should be 60-65 pages long in all.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Mad Hatteress

« Reply #123 on: September 09, 2009, 06:56:46 AM »
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! I got to see Ponyo last night! For those of you who don't know it's a about a goldfish who mutates upon tasting human blood, turning into a monster and terrorizing the residents of a small town as she searches for the boy she loves.

....I'm kidding, it's the newest Studio Ghibli film and it was really cute! It just sucks that my mother tagged along because I would've had the theater all to myself and she kept asking a lot of stupid questions. Of course, those new to Ghibli films don't realize that you're probably not going to understand most them 100%; you just watch and accept.

OMG, I LOVED Ponyo's father's character design! I don't know why I'm so attracted to odd character designs or strange fictional characters. Good thing it's not like that IRL I'd probably be dead in a dumpster somewhere.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 06:29:35 PM by Mad Hatteress »

MincyMatsu

• Don't leave out the "!"
  • Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
  • On the internet, no one can hear you scream
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duke4.net
« Reply #124 on: September 09, 2009, 07:18:58 AM »
That sounds odd yet interesting...

But i'd be lying if i said that the lie you threw out at first sounds more appealign to me...  :il_hahaha:
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

Pamplemousse

• That Office Lady!
  • Toilet Cleaner
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 09, 2009, 10:18:29 AM »
Actually, the lie IS pretty much the first half of the movie. She floods the town looking for him :il_hahaha:
Ponyo's a cute film, though. OMNOMHUMANBLOODNOM
As for minor characters, I liked the two mothers best, even though (ok, probably because)the boy's was hilariously reckless.

My thesis is titled "Fear and Loathing in American Literature: Freedom, the American Dream, and Hunter S. Thompson." It concerns the early work of Hunter S. Thompson, a well-known countercultural writer of the 60's and 70's primarily, and how I believe that his work deserves greater recognition in academia. He's mostly been marginalized as a pop-culture writer because he talks about being high, uses naughty language, and breaks everyone else's rules. Close to half done with the draft, and will have that finished by the end of the month. Then I need to have the final edit prepared by October 24th so that I can get it to my committee. It should be 60-65 pages long in all.
Sounds truly fascinating! I'll be rooting for you! You seem to have chosen a unique subject that you're truly passionate about. Good for you! These things should be interesting for you, you know? A couple of people I know who are trying to get English-lit-ish degrees forget that.
Hunter S. Thompson himself sounds pretty damn cool, too... even the Wiki page on him is interesting and that's a feat!

MincyMatsu

• Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 09, 2009, 03:45:35 PM »
Goddamnit i missed someone in chat again ..! Pink Bunny was here and i was away...

Pamplemousse

• That Office Lady!
  • Toilet Cleaner
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 09, 2009, 11:32:06 PM »
Ok, guys. I was browsing through some Star Ocean 3 stuff because I used to love that game massively and I found something interesting. I'm pretty sure I know why my favorite was a relatively minor character (Mirage Koas).

Does anything look eerily familiar? XD
Plus, she in an anti-establishment organization.
LOL.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 11:34:58 PM by Pamplemousse »

Randamo

• Special Municipal Force Daitenzin Member
  • You're not my Master Chief, and that's okay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 10, 2009, 03:24:47 AM »
Think i'll join in.
First, just wanna point out how much fast food restaraunts suck to work at. Especially when you've got a raging manager who psycs me out of thinking straight, I make a mistake, they yell at me. I don't get paid enough to deal with this. Also, being moved out of my bed at 5 in the morning and getting lectured the second I walk in. Just one more week, one more week.

Anyway, enough of that. Even though i wont get paid enough to afford it yet, I really want a PSP. I was thinkin of getting this bundle pack: http://www.ebgames.com.au/psp/product.cfm?id=15128&refer=consoles
I admit i've never played Final Fantasy. The character designs actually turn me off it. Do people think they're attractive or something? I look at stuff like that, mutter "pretty boy..." Then pick up something that looks good. Something with a silent (key word SILENT) protagonist. English voice acting makes me cringe.

As for me, i'm a girl, but i've never picked up on people acting like it's weird or something to like video games or manga at the shops. More like, they stand back and let me look. Though i get the impression guys start smiling when I pick up something like death note and think i like it for the 'bishonen'. Whatever, go read your girl's bravo or naruto, dorks. I do prefer shonen manga, so i don't get that often.

Mad Hatteress

« Reply #129 on: September 10, 2009, 08:04:35 AM »
http://www.ebgames.com.au/psp/product.cfm?id=15128&refer=consoles
I admit i've never played Final Fantasy. The character designs actually turn me off it. Do people think they're attractive or something? I look at stuff like that, mutter "pretty boy..." Then pick up something that looks good. Something with a silent (key word SILENT) protagonist. English voice acting makes me cringe.

I've played Final Fantasy but I'm really not a fan and don't see what the big deal it. Out of the handful that I've played I only enjoyed nine, the main reason being that I love the Black Mages and I want to adopt Vivi. I actually like "pretty boy" characters so I was grinning from ear to ear when I saw Kuja.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 10:13:28 AM by Mad Hatteress »

MincyMatsu

• Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 10, 2009, 09:56:29 AM »
Indeed Maddy ._. I was away from chat ._.
That said, i'm here now...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 10:02:15 AM by Micki! »

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #131 on: September 10, 2009, 02:32:29 PM »
That's hilarious, ElricJC. Truly.

I've had some people ask me on more than one occasion to make a Facebook account or *shudders* a Myspace account. I refuse each time. Just don't feel comfortable with the whole idea of exposing oneself out there too much. Seems creepy, but that's just me! ^^;

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! I got to see Ponyo last night!
Y'know, I really do enjoy Miyazaki's works. But I think Ponyo has unfortunately been making me turn a blind eye to it. It's a lot to do with the character design of Ponyo. It's so cute-looking I found myself wondering if this movie was moreso geared for younger audiences. O_o

I know, I know.. Gotta keep an open mind, right?

Ok, guys. I was browsing through some Star Ocean 3 stuff because I used to love that game massively and I found something interesting. I'm pretty sure I know why my favorite was a relatively minor character (Mirage Koas).

Does anything look eerily familiar? XD
Plus, she in an anti-establishment organization.
LOL.
Absolutely NO idea what you could mean. Nope. Not at all. :e_tongue:

Think i'll join in.
First, just wanna point out how much fast food restaraunts suck to work at. Especially when you've got a raging manager who psycs me out of thinking straight, I make a mistake, they yell at me. I don't get paid enough to deal with this. Also, being moved out of my bed at 5 in the morning and getting lectured the second I walk in. Just one more week, one more week.
ugh... Good thing there's just a week left. I know about it only too well through a friend who was brave enough to work at a McD's for (amazingly) three years. Simply put, managers and their employees are never meant to work together in a high paced fast food environment. Does not work. At all.

Randamo

• Special Municipal Force Daitenzin Member
  • You're not my Master Chief, and that's okay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 11, 2009, 02:01:01 AM »
I was there for a year... :(
And I really wanted to quit after a couple of months. That's because my schedule was: Mon - work, Tues - School, Wed - school, Thurs - work, Fri - Work, Sat and Sun morning stuff and had 2 afternoons off. It really sucked, since I was only 16 and it was my first job. I don't even remember when I did my assignments.

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #133 on: September 11, 2009, 01:44:34 PM »
^Hey, everyone needs to start somewheres, right? :e_wink: And finding a job which can be balanced with school is no easy task.

Despite the negative stuff you endured while there, you can hold your head high on your last day and say that you're that much stronger now.

exckilla

• ACROSS SUPER SECRET COMMANDER
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 12, 2009, 03:24:47 PM »
I am back from holiday hooray