Author Topic: Dragonball Evolution  (Read 6498 times)

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
Dragonball Evolution
« on: April 09, 2009, 04:57:59 PM »
http://dbthemovie.com/
http://www.dragonballthemovie.com/

oooo.... With Evolution in the title, it has to be good, right?

Right..?

..... Well?

Hmm? I can't hear you over the deafening sound of crickets. :il_hahaha:

I thought instantly after first hearing of a live action Dragonball movie last year that it had to be an instant fail. Thing is though, it's generated a huge buzz of interest among otaku purists who grew up with it. I've talked with some of these people whose first dive into those enticing waters of anime has been the title of Dragonball/Dragonball Z. And yes, they actually will admit to it!  :il_hahaha: Wow..

As much as this movie has been dissed even before its release, it's significant in that it's bringing back an old childhood favorite to many. And because of that, I believe Evolution will do reasonably well at the box office despite any flaws it could have.

But if anything does comes out of this it'll certainly be a renewed interest in Akira Toriyama's creation in general. The demand for the anime DVDs will suddenly surge.
Hell, those horrible, constipated-sounding power-ups might be fun to see again, right? :e_tongue:

So, who's going to see it?

exckilla

• ACROSS SUPER SECRET COMMANDER
    • View Profile
Re: Dragonball Evolution
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 01:24:56 AM »
Well I plan to see it today.  I have alwaays liked dragonball z especially the villains they were certainly unique,

HA1L ILPALLAZZO

• I have returned
  • Spam Master
  • HA1L ILPALAZZO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 07:31:59 AM »
I'm dreading to see it because it might suck or be good..... I tell you one thing if it sucks that bad there will be effigies of the writers, producers and directors being burnt from now to next year

Lord Il

• Spam Master
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 11:30:31 AM »
Saw it on opening day as I had the day off work last Friday - Keep in mind I had no real intention of wanting to see it opening week-end. But I had friends who wanted to see it so I figured what the heck. Why not.

My impression: By seeing this, I thought I'd be lost in a sea of pure corniness unlike anything ever witnessed before by man or beast. Amazingly after the movie, I felt pleasantly surprised - It was not the case.

Mind you, Evolution is nothing overly spectacular at all. As expected from this movie, there are flaws aplenty from Toriyama's original. But depending upon how you look at it some of these "flaws" could be regarded somewhat as improvements to help the story appear more.. well... believable. Approximately 15 to 20 minutes into the movie it really (and I do mean REALLY) felt like I was watching The Karate Kid...... but then I realized that this wasn't The Karate Kid remake I was watching. :il_hahaha:

So if you really are curious to see this, it can be a fun distraction from an otherwise boring afternoon. And it actually does compliment Toriyama's original. Just don't expect anything too exciting or groundbreaking here. An average story and an average movie.
----

IMO, saddest thing about the box office numbers this week-end, Hannah Montana The Movie is probably gonna make a killing. :icon_rolleyes:

Squeezit

• i'll show you a custom title...
  • Head of City Security
    • View Profile
    • stuff and things :)
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 04:42:55 PM »
where in the anime did they say the earth was almost destroyed by ancient gods and when did 7 ancients create the dragon balls?
lolpiccolo
>:/

exckilla

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 02:07:13 PM »
It was pretty lame kind of reminded me of watching power rangers gone wrong

exckilla

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 02:01:04 PM »
I see this pile of poo film as finally come out on dvd, at least to rent, has pedro would say, Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Lord Il

• Spam Master
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 04:53:13 PM »
heh... And despite how poor it was, it still made enough money to spawn a sequel.

I'll probably see the sequel purely out of curiosity, but NOT in the movie theater this time.

HA1L ILPALLAZZO

• I have returned
  • Spam Master
  • HA1L ILPALAZZO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 03:01:55 AM »
theres a sequal? oh god...

exckilla

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 12:50:26 PM »
A SEQUEL!!!! With all of my heart NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!