Author Topic: Duke Nukem For Never ;_;  (Read 6074 times)

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
Duke Nukem For Never ;_;
« on: May 13, 2009, 09:22:44 PM »
ITT we shed tears for the fallen. He came to kick ass and chew bubblegum, but he was all out of funding. :'(

Good night, sweet prince.

MincyMatsu

• Don't leave out the "!"
  • Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
  • On the internet, no one can hear you scream
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duke4.net
Re: Duke Nukem For Never ;_;
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 05:48:27 AM »
Sad news indeed, but on the bright side (well, in my case), Duke4.net is swarming with people now... Too bad all the new media and news we recently had to offer only make us more sad, the game looked terriffic, unfinished, but fun...

However, Take 2 still own the rights to publish Duke Nukem Forever, basicly, they could find another studio to finish the current game, or create another game titled teh same (i guess) The latter, would of course be incredibly stupid, and i'd lose all credibility that i have left (and that's not much to begin with) if they'd do that...

I feel sorry for all the people who lost thier jobs as well, because appearantly they really liked the company and thier collegues...

Can't believe a measly 5 million dollars were missing to finish this project, and nobody is willing to even give a loan to these guys, that's incredibly greedy and selfish of Take 2...
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 04:04:01 PM »
Sad news indeed, but on the bright side (well, in my case), Duke4.net is swarming with people now... Too bad all the new media and news we recently had to offer only make us more sad, the game looked terriffic, unfinished, but fun...
I had a look over there last week-end and saw the huge outpooring of devotees to the Duke. Amazing really. Someone HAS to take over and finish it. Too much time and effort to simply kill it now.

Can't believe a measly 5 million dollars were missing to finish this project, and nobody is willing to even give a loan to these guys, that's incredibly greedy and selfish of Take 2...
I'm guessing the problem is the fact of the number of years this game has been in development. Something like twelve, thirteen years? O_o It's an awfully long time to be working on a single game - It's become a giant white elephant. Because of that, Take 2's confidence in 3D Realms must've gotten to an all time low to actually prompt them to finally pull the plug. The self-funding of DNF finally dried up and Take 2 must've viewed the project as too much of a risk to fund further.

However, the blame is not (and should not be) all on 3D Realms. Take 2 should've taken some strong initiative and lit a fire under the ass of the development team years ago - Told them to have an actual game from start to finish (beta stage) ready for testing, de-bugging, and then a final product ready for release at year 200X. Git 'er done.

MincyMatsu

• Don't leave out the "!"
  • Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
  • On the internet, no one can hear you scream
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duke4.net
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 12:52:26 AM »
Well thing is that the publisher (Take 2) had no say whatsoever about DNF's development, since they hadn't paid a dime for the project ever, and DNF was funded entirely by 3D Realms themselves, Take 2 had no right to tell them to push it out faster... The game was also not literally under development in 12 years, it's more like it was announced 12 years ago, but created and remade for very good reasons throuhout the time... Basicly, the current build is no older than about 3 years... If anything, it's amazing the game wasn't cancelled years ago, it should rather be praised for hanging on for so long than being hated for being known but not released...

Anyways, i wonder what happens with the title now, the name "Duke Nukem" is still huge (several people are willing to pay millions to own the IP, it's about as big as the name "Doom"), and it would be a waste not releasing a major game of him at all, especially seeing the upcoming release of the Duke Nukem Trilogy for the two handheld consoles... It's simply not enough, or imo even the right thing to do, to feed the fanbase with half-good games with Duke in it, when there's one game in particular that kept them awake and aware of Duke's existance to begin with (That game obviously being DNF)...
Here's hoping (since 3D Realms stil exists on paper) that the company's other IP's will gain them some good money to restart and continue development on DNF... (They have Earth No More and Prey 2 done by other studios atm, which will give them some cash as well sine they own the IP) But thing is, they lack developers, they've all been "let go" now, and probably already have found other jobs by the time 3DR's has gathered enough money to start up again...

I'll miss the old timers there, Allen Blum was my favorite level Designer since Duke3D :(

So yeah, it's just too ridiculous not to release the game, it's right there, it WILL make money, it's almost done, and it'll be a money making machine... Who could possibly say no to that ..?
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

exckilla

• ACROSS SUPER SECRET COMMANDER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 02:33:44 PM »
The longest running bull shit squel in the works story finally comes to an end, I can remember them talking about this game when quake 2 came out on the pc.

Mas

• Emergency food supply
    • View Profile

Lord Il

• Spam Master
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 04:14:29 PM »
The Duke is alive afterall. Great news!

Let's hope there won't be anymore endless tweaking to the play mechanics, etc. Creating perfection is impossible. It just needs to have a release already.. No more Vaporware! It's time for some substance.

Taste

• just slips away
  • Emergency food supply
  • just slips away
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 08:41:30 PM »
IN B4 REGENERATING HEALTH

In all seriousness though, i'm kind of glad this games has some hope to be released.
I wasted so many days playing Duke Nukem 64 as a kid, that I could go for another round of Duke now. Although I just hope it doesn't suffer from all the symptoms of a modern FPS and ends up being just like Halo or Gears of War with tits.

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 01:08:07 PM »
Saw that earlier. It really made my day! Hail to the king, baby.

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 06:57:35 AM »
Anyone else seen the trailer? FUCKING AWESOME IS WHAT IT IS. :ehail: :g_hail: :elhail: :im_nabeshin:

Turbam!!!

• uh...
  • Emergency food supply
  • I'M A DOCTOR!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 09:10:00 AM »
That trailer is powerful enough to make a grown man shed tears, here's a link for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Lord Il

• Spam Master
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 01:46:05 PM »
Ya gotta like the way they make fun of the fact it took so long for an actual release.

exckilla

• ACROSS SUPER SECRET COMMANDER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 12:32:36 PM »
At last some progress, it's taken a bloody long time for this game to show itself and I remember reading the engine changes from the quake engine, to the unreal engine, I just gave up, just hope it is worth the long bloody wait

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 10:53:16 PM »
Oh my fucking shit the Balls of Steel Edition is too awesome for words.

I can't believe I'm going to spend $100 on a video game, even more so that I'm going to do it with pride...

Soske

• Head of City Security
  • Legend Killer
    • View Profile
    • Soske Reviews
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 07:24:17 AM »
Oh my fucking shit the Balls of Steel Edition is too awesome for words.

I can't believe I'm going to spend $100 on a video game, even more so that I'm going to do it with pride...

You're not alone, I'm likely getting that version as well.