Author Topic: Manga you regret buying?  (Read 10372 times)

Mad Hatteress

Manga you regret buying?
« on: July 21, 2009, 09:35:40 AM »
I was just wondering if there's any series you guys have purchased that you ended up regretting as the series progressed. I only have three, which I think is pretty good considering the size of my collection, but they ended up being longer ones and, since I couldn't return them, I felt I had to get the rest of the volumes because I'm a completion addict.

1. Sensual Phrase. I thought "Woooo! Hot romance!" but it turned out really angsty when Aine and Sakuya weren't having sex. In fact, sex and being mad at each other is about all they do with no clear reason as to why they love each other in the first place. It just seems odd that Sakuya, a guy who banged every woman he could, would suddenly become devoted to Aine. What made it even worse is how stupid Aine is; it seems like in every issue a strange man comes into her life that ends up wanting to do bad things to her. But does she learn? Nooooooo, and towards the end of the series she ends up getting raped.

2. Fruits Basket. I know, I know, it's super popular and a ton of people love it but towards the middle I thought it was just becoming all filler and "Waaaaaaaah! We all have problems so this manga is insanely deep, right?!". It ends up all smilely and roses at the end, though, which should leave everyone all happy and sparkly on the inside, right? Blech.

3. Tsubasa. I love CLAMP but this series is becoming too darn long and it's just "Let's go to another world and get one of Sakura's feathers!".

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
Re: Manga you regret buying?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 10:48:25 AM »
Hellsing. It turns to shit after Alucard all but stops being a main character.

Mad Hatteress

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
Awww... Really? I was actually considering picking up the manga because I've heard such good things about the anime.

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 02:11:58 PM »
The first half of it or so is really great, but once the Nazis come into play, it's all downhill from there. :(

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 02:56:01 PM »
The first half of it or so is really great, but once the Nazis come into play, it's all downhill from there. :(

That blows, I think i left Hellsing at, like, Vol. 7 or 8 (just checked out, didn't own, so no big loss for me). Still thought of buying it, but blech.

I was losing patience with Welcome to the NHK - it really dragged through the last couple of volumes, but since it was all done at 8 it wasn't so bad. Other than that no, I have been lucky to not be stuck with a long series that really just tanked. So far Blade of the Immortal, Berserk, Oh My Goddess, and Excel Saga seem alright, and those are the only long series I follow right now.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Randamo

• Special Municipal Force Daitenzin Member
  • You're not my Master Chief, and that's okay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 04:48:34 PM »
ultra cute - sometimes i feel like a stupid shojo, and this is one of them. Half the time i can't tell if i like the series. The two girl freind/rivals have incredibly catty conversations with each other and I like that. It's sort of light and funny, and happens to remind me of almost every friendship I've had with girls. The other thing it that there's too much romance. It's the only thing they think about. It weighs down the story if there are actually any kiss scenes (which the art is too imature to pull off). I think the story would be great if they just kept trying to get boyfriends and spent ages trying. I'd be having a blast laughing at their downfall and how scared the love interest Tamon would be.
Also, most shoujos I buy i end up regretting: Kare first love, hot gimmick, cyber idol mink and anything i only bought one copy of

Mad Hatteress

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 05:16:00 PM »
^Oh, I forgot about Hot Gimmick! Yeah, I really wanted her to end up with her (not blood related) brother because Ryohki (or whatever his name was) is such a bossy jerk. There's no chemistry between them at all! Plus the story was pretty dull I was really pissed over how Hotsumi just dismissed the fact that one guy tried to have her gang raped. What is with some shojo mangas having the main character being/almost being raped and treating it as no big deal?! Stuff like that really pisses me off.

HA1L ILPALLAZZO

• I have returned
  • Spam Master
  • HA1L ILPALAZZO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 05:25:48 PM »
I'm gonna have to say Shaman King and Bleach

bleach it was just a case of SO MANY VOLUMES SO LITTLE STORY DEVELOPMENT I mean in the anime it took what 20 episodes to get past the first 2 story arcs whereas the manga took nearly 30 VOLUMES which is kinda ridiculous I mean even Dragonball Z doesn't take that long

Shaman King I just kinda lost interest. it was interesting to start off with but it just sort of got boring as it wasn't really going any where

super llama

• Giant Enemy Llama
  • Pedophile Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 01:45:55 PM »
Well, I haven't bought that many manga (I get most of mine from the library) but the I do believe the worst manga I ever read was this world manga called Bombos vs. Everything, where everyone feels the need to talk in obnoxious 80's slang. I believe the moment where an old man says "Totally rad." without the smallest amount of irony was the exact moment I went "To hell with this." and stopped reading.
All these college professors teaching classes about Shakespeare, who was the 16th-century equivalent of a director of summer-blockbusters, makes me wonder if 500 years from now we'll have college courses on the subtle nuances of Michael Bay movies.

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 02:23:08 PM »
Shaman King I just kinda lost interest. it was interesting to start off with but it just sort of got boring as it wasn't really going any where
I still read it in the monthly Shonen Jump, but I know exactly what you mean. In the beginning it was a fun series and one of my favs. Now it's just lost its magic.

Mad Hatteress

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 06:28:03 PM »
When I used to get Shonen Jump I'd read Shaman King but I had to stop when that weird guy got ahold of my sweet little Manta and cut him open! That was just too disturbing for me.

I still want to kill 4Kids for what they did to the anime... "Mortimer"?! What a joke!

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 01:50:19 PM »

2. Fruits Basket. I know, I know, it's super popular and a ton of people love it but towards the middle I thought it was just becoming all filler and "Waaaaaaaah! We all have problems so this manga is insanely deep, right?!". It ends up all smilely and roses at the end, though, which should leave everyone all happy and sparkly on the inside, right? Blech.

I never read the manga, but that's sort of how I felt after the anime. The whole time leading up to the ending I kept thinking... this could be one of the saddest endings EVER, but then it all works out yippie happiness and I was sort of dissapointed. That said, it was probably a good thing for me at the time cus I'd been watching a lot of really depressing/psycho anime so I needed some simple happiness haha.

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 01:56:42 PM »
Oh yeah as for the regretting buying manga... well I barely have any and I love what I have so yep. I don't really buy manga.

E^D Crow

• Rev. Fr. Big Orange Nose Grabber, ACROSS chaplain
  • Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 05:04:20 PM »
I regret buying most of the early manga I bought, namely, Dragonball Z, Yu Gi Oh!, and Inu Yasha.

There are a few that I almost regret, because I have only the first volumes, and the publishers may or may not continue the series.

I would feel the same about Tsubasa, if I didn't kind of expect this to be a VERY long series.  In fact, I am hoping this is long and drawn out.  Finding the feathers should be extremely difficult, with some set-backs along the way.  The current storyline is a rather long set-back, true, but I'm OK with that.

E^D

Mad Hatteress

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 12:55:29 PM »
I never read the manga, but that's sort of how I felt after the anime. The whole time leading up to the ending I kept thinking... this could be one of the saddest endings EVER, but then it all works out yippie happiness and I was sort of dissapointed. That said, it was probably a good thing for me at the time cus I'd been watching a lot of really depressing/psycho anime so I needed some simple happiness haha.

See, the anime I really liked because it didn't suffer from constant filler and it left me wanting more where the manga got to be painful to read. A certain character falls off a cliff, nails her head, and turns out to be just fine which is completely ridiculous and the whole "ZOMG! This character is actually female!" wasn't a huge shocker at all, just another eye-roller.