Author Topic: Manga you regret buying?  (Read 10374 times)

Lan

Re: Manga you regret buying?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2009, 01:35:51 AM »
Tsubasa. i bought 7 volumes before i realised it would be Taking up too much room on my shelf. epic story though but. still read it online.

jerky

• Toilet Cleaner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2009, 06:32:52 PM »
long list actually.

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu - exact same as anime, exactly.
Black lagoon - also exactly the same as the anime. I'm fine with manga that follow an anime, but when every single line is the same, when every single shot is the same, it's really hard to care about.
Ouran host club (early volumes) - the early stuff was the same as the anime, later ones were good.
Girls Bravo - the art style was too different.
wish - it was from clamp, I had just finished chobits, but it was nothing like chobits.
flcl - lame compared to the awesome anime.

appiness is like a duck...
so watch more T.V.

Mad Hatteress

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2009, 06:39:34 PM »
^ Awww, really? I love Wish! I it was one of my first mangas. Yeah, it's nothing like Chobits but that's no reason to fault it; CLAMP doesn't just write about robot chicks.

jerky

• Toilet Cleaner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2009, 03:33:52 PM »
^ it's not that I hated it, I was just expecting something more along the lines of chobits, something with the same tone.
appiness is like a duck...
so watch more T.V.

Mad Hatteress

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2009, 03:36:34 PM »
^Ah. Well, unless it's obviously a sequel you always get something different with CLAMP.

Lan

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2009, 03:58:02 PM »
i quite liked flcl. the style was a different type of cool compared to the anime, much more grittier and in your face. havent read or seen an anime quite like this since.

exckilla

• ACROSS SUPER SECRET COMMANDER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2009, 12:33:56 PM »
I didn't go much on the Devil may cry manga, couldn't get into it and vampire knight, only bought the first volume

Mad Hatteress

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2009, 06:24:02 PM »
Grr... I'm gonna add Genju no Seiza, Shin Megami Tensei: Kahn, Gravitation: EX, Dazzle, and Loveless to my list.

Why? Because Tokyo Pop cancelled them all! That's so mean to get their readers hooked on a manga and then say "Yeah... We're going to stop releasing them now due to cost issues so you'll NEVER find out how they end! MWAHAHAHAHAH!".

*tears* I want my Genju no Seiza, darn it!

Squeezit

• i'll show you a custom title...
  • Head of City Security
    • View Profile
    • stuff and things :)
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2009, 09:00:20 PM »
Hellsing. It turns to shit after Alucard all but stops being a main character.
Hellsing was badass.
it has its boring moments, but it was still badass, the ending was good too.
took forever to get it
>:/

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2009, 10:28:11 AM »
Hellsing. It turns to shit after Alucard all but stops being a main character.
Hellsing was badass.
it has its boring moments, but it was still badass, the ending was good too.
took forever to get it
The first three volumes were badass and the last two were also pretty good. The other five were boring and lame, IMO.

Pamplemousse

• That Office Lady!
  • Toilet Cleaner
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2009, 08:28:49 PM »
Pretty much every manga I've bought on a total whim has turned out badly, ES being the exception. Some of the worst:

"Hanami: an international love story". Dude, the word international got me. I'm not a shojo person generally, but the plot wasn't that original and the love story revolved around two people who couldn't even communicate effectively. Granted, the premise could have been interesting in the right hands, but... it wasn't.

"Claymore": Meh and meh. Look, I'm an emo monster, guys. And a hot chick. And I have a huge sword.

"Grand Theft Galaxy" This had potential. It really did. That is, until the prissy, uninteresting main character showed up. Yeah, it's supposed to be fish-out-of-water, but that's only ok if your mc has some redeeming characteristics. Anything, really. The minor characters are pretty epic, though.

"Penguin Gin" Ugh. I liked penguins, ok? I bought four volumes of this. FOUR. I'm a little ashamed. The girl-love-interest and the guy go on like half a date, then he dies and gets reincarnated as a penguin while he tries to regain his body or get reborn or something. Without knowing he's alive, the chick inexplicably stays devoted to him. She's known him personally for like 5 hours prior. ??? Oh, then the PENGUIN becomes her pet. In Japan. I'm pretty sure that's illegal...

"Bleach": I have until 20-something, then I quit. Kubo ruined or phased out the characters and plot elements I liked. 'Nuff said.
I, Pamplemousse, do not believe in alligators.

Twan

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »
The only manga I regret buying was Qwan, mostly because it seems to be discontinued. Still stuck at 4th volume and that one has been out for a year or so. It's a shame because it had potential to turn into something good.

Don't know if I should continue to collect Bleach. I read it online allready and the plot goes very very slow.

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2010, 11:38:51 AM »
Don't know if I should continue to collect Bleach. I read it online allready and the plot goes very very slow.
Sounds like the anime doesn't stray too far from the manga in terms of plot progression. O_o Because of that, I could imagine it would be a boring read.

Mad Hatteress

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2010, 11:40:05 AM »
I liked Bleach better when it was Yu Yu Hakusho and I like that better when it was Dragon Ball Z.

blind51de

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
    • http://www.anime-galaxies.com/forum
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2010, 07:26:15 PM »
I bought a few volumes of Battle Royale and Ikkitousen (as "Battle Vixens") before realising that the comic-book writer hired to do the adaptation had changed so much of the translation the script was practically an original work.

Yeah, a lot of the suggestive dialogue in both series is completely contrived.
I find that sort of thing unprofessional and a big reason I stopped buying Tokyopop years ago.
ignature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit

HTML is OFF
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON