Author Topic: Stuff in Games That Really Scared You  (Read 5060 times)

Mad Hatteress

Stuff in Games That Really Scared You
« on: September 26, 2009, 12:41:38 PM »
This doesn't have to apply to just horror games; list anything in a game that made you jump or have nightmares for a week.

For the non-horror games stuff when I was a kid and played Donkey Kong 64 it really scared me in the level where you suddenly just see a golden banana sitting there. I'm thinking "Sweet! It's easy for once!" but then as soon as a grab it there's a target on me and a very scary voice shouting "Get out!". It seriously traumatized me.

In Persona 3 while you go through a dungeon there's these things called "Shadows" that will chase you if they see you. Sometimes the lighting is so dim you don't always see them right away and I'd jump when I heard them make a noise as they charge at me. Also, the first time I encountered Death was really creepy. I'm just walking along, minding my own business, when Fuuka suddenly says "I sense Death!". While I'm trying to figure out what that meant I suddenly hear the rattling of chains before I turn a corner and run right into the Grim Reaper! I nearly screamed.

As for horror games, Castlevania 64 was the first I'd ever played. There's a hedge maze and upon entering it I saw who I thought was a gardener. I approach him only to have him swing around and nail me with his chainsaw. This was the first time I'd even been chased by AI so I was terrified when he followed me all the way back to the entrance and just stood there waiting for me.

Clock Tower 3 also really got to me. I was all happy because one of the guys who chases you hadn't shown up for awhile suddenly bursts through a wall shouting "There you are!". I screamed. I honestly did.

That's all I can think of for now but I'll probably add more.

MincyMatsu

• Don't leave out the "!"
  • Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
  • On the internet, no one can hear you scream
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duke4.net
Re: Stuff in Games That Really Scared You
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 03:30:06 PM »
Stuff in Resident Evil Remake and FEAR startled the crap out of me a few times...only works once though, after a time you grow used to scares like that, but the first times are always unexpected... and it's the unexpected that scare me the most...

In Max Payne, one of his Nightmare, you follow a trail of blood in the room of your murdered daughter, the room fades out in a true Poltergeist fashion, and turns into a creepy dark void where you can only walk on the tracks of blood... It's a cryptic maze, and whenever you walk to a dead end, you hear a horrifying cry of Max's daughter... creeped the shit out of me, i nearly had to pass the game, but i've grown used to it now, shit still creeps to my skin though...

In Call of Chulhu - Dark Corners of the Earth (PC Game too) there's some serious whacky shit that creeps the fuck outta me too sometimes...

Honestly, i LOVE anything with horror, movies and games and books, being horrified means they did a good job, and that makes it enjoyable to me...
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 05:17:59 PM »
  • Every time Mr. X appeared in Resident Evil 2, holy shit.
  • The Hospital in F.E.A.R. Extraction Point. I was blind firing like a motherfucker.
  • Laughing Octopus in Metal Gear Solid 4. Go ahead, guise, laugh at me. |:<

Only three things to ever actually scare me in vidya gaems. System Shock 2 almost got me a few times, though.

Mad Hatteress

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 08:21:11 AM »
I need to go look all those up; I actually haven't played a single one of those games that you guys mentioned.

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 09:32:39 AM »
Having things actually cause scares in vidya games increases the fun factor by over 9000.

I considered myself too desensitized to be affected by such surprises.... That was until I was playing a certain section in Tomb Raider: Underworld last Friday night...
Yes, of all things, a Tomb Raider game actually got me for a sec. lol!

For those who've played it, it's an area in the Mexico level where you need to drive a motor bike through a series of paths. I decided to park the bike for a sec on the path and go walk around to explore. Having decided there was nothing around of interest, I backtracked to the bike. From out of nowhere I was attacked by a huge black panther. Think I jumped a half foot off my chair. It was great!

Mad Hatteress

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 09:56:53 AM »
For those who've played it, it's an area in the Mexico level where you need to drive a motor bike through a series of paths. I decided to park the bike for a sec on the path and go walk around to explore. Having decided there was nothing around of interest, I backtracked to the bike. From out of nowhere I was attacked by a huge black panther. Think I jumped a half foot off my chair. It was great![/color]

Oh god... Something like that happened to me in Castlevania 64 that I'd forgotten.

I was just walking along when I thought that I saw something move. I stopped walking and squinted at the dated graphics but I decided it was just my imagination and kept walking. Soon after a freaking werewolf suddenly attacked me and the controller almost went flying from my hand.

exckilla

• ACROSS SUPER SECRET COMMANDER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 11:44:56 AM »
Those fucking dogs in the first resident evil and the hunters especially when you hear the scrapping noise they make.  I would also say dead space scared the hell out of me, the general darkness and the knowledge that the expected, ending up being the most unexpected would happen

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 03:39:21 PM »
^The very first Resident Evil game had some great scares as I recall...
Suddenly I want to play it again! ^^
______

In Half Life 2, what bugged me the most were the Poison Zombies. They tend to be quite rare, and in most cases you can hear them before actually encountering them - It's the breathing sound they make that always got to me. When close, you just hear this heavy, slow breathing and really don't know their exact location most times. I attribute this heavy breathing with the fact that they have three poison head crabs covering the persons head. Not a pretty sight.

WolfeMcGowann

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 05:38:28 AM »

Those posion headcrabs! My god, the first time I heard one from afar, I had no idea what was going on. I thought something was up with Gordon, so when I found the thing I was so relieved; as it was down in the streets in Ravenholm, (the town you're trying to get out of) and since I was up on the roof, I thought I was fine. Then the thing rips off one of its own headcrabs and flings it up to me. Caught me completely off guard. I was flailing around with the mouse trying to kill the stupid thing.

As for pure terror, if anyone has ever played Resident Evil 4, they probably remember the sewers where you meet those giant insect plagas. (Were they even plagas? I forget.)Anyway, when you first enter the sewer area, you have to jump down into this long narrow trench filled with water. After you take a few steps forward, you hear this loud scuttling noise of something very large coming very fast towards you. I admit it, I screamed. The kicker is, nothing appears. You're just left standing there, and you don't fight any of them for another 2 minutes...

God, I hated that section.

Squeezit

• i'll show you a custom title...
  • Head of City Security
    • View Profile
    • stuff and things :)
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 12:58:18 PM »
the first silent hill and fatal frame 2.

especially since i would go to a friends house, then after playing silent hill 1 i'd walk home at 2am, and there were no street lights, and lots of stray dogs that made noise everywhere
>:/

exckilla

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 01:02:04 PM »
I just thought of two others that gave me the chills, doom 3 pc version, not the let down xbox version and quake 4 on both pc xbox360, bloody stroggs, escpecially the bastard that breaks out of the scenarie when you your going down this too peacefully dark tunnel

super llama

• Giant Enemy Llama
  • Pedophile Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 02:09:37 PM »
The Oven Man and the first time I got my head chainsawed off in RE4.

And the bathtub scene in Eternal Darkness.
All these college professors teaching classes about Shakespeare, who was the 16th-century equivalent of a director of summer-blockbusters, makes me wonder if 500 years from now we'll have college courses on the subtle nuances of Michael Bay movies.

exckilla

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 03:30:32 PM »
Resi 4 aint that terrifying, try dead space

MincyMatsu

• Don't leave out the "!"
  • Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
  • On the internet, no one can hear you scream
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duke4.net
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 04:29:55 AM »
Dead Space is freaky, one if the coolest horror games i've played in a while...
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

Escargotage

• Lay-zee~
  • Unemployed
  • lolumad?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 01:34:21 AM »
Ravenholm in Half-Life 2, along with the whole highway tunnel section of HL2: Ep1.

Most of RE3, due to Nemesis, that shithead gave me such nightmares and I didn't even play the game. I just watched my friend's brother play it.  :elangry:

I don't do too well with zombies or the like. >_o