Author Topic: How old are they?  (Read 9874 times)

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
How old are they?
« on: October 01, 2009, 10:25:25 AM »
I have no idea why this is bothering me as much as it is but I absolutely have to know how old the characters we all know and love exactly are. "In their twenties" isn't good enough. So if any one of you has perused Excel Saga factbooks or the like, please share your knowledge ASAP.

I can't shake this strange feeling that it's either been outright stated or can be pretty easily calculated that Umi is 18 and Shiouji is 26, but I can't be bothered to leaf through my 19 volumes for the single aside that confirms it. Can you good people lend me a hand here?

Another question would be how long the plot has been going on. There's been several three-to-four month timeskips between chapters by now. Has anyone been keeping a tally? Have they survived working under Kabapu for a whole year now?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 10:37:21 AM by #55 »

MincyMatsu

• Don't leave out the "!"
  • Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
  • On the internet, no one can hear you scream
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duke4.net
Re: How old are they?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 10:54:54 AM »
I don't think it has been stated anywhere, what exact age anyone is... The closest that come to this are Kabapu when he told about where he originated from, and what his approximate age was, but even that wasn't exact, as he admitted he "lost track"...

And i think Shiouji was mentioned to be a certain age as child, and if we assume the year in the manga was the same as present time for us (2006-2007 ..?) From this,counting would lead to a more or less exact age, but i am not really sure with all this...

None of the three girls ever got their ages mentioned, and not even their real names or backgrounds...
I remember once when Watanabe asked how old Iwata was, he simply responded "around your age i guess"

I'm pretty curious myself, how old they actually are...
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 12:13:12 PM »
Yeah, I just remembered. Shiouji's age has been mentioned twice - once in volume 12, when it's said he was fourteen when he first met Umi, and the second time in volume 16, when Kabapu? (I don't think Tenmangu was that neglectful a father) says that when he last saw Shiouji, he was only three years old, which would suggest that there'd been at least a year when Kabapu'd last met baby Shiouji. Now, this exchange happened 22? years ago (Kabapu first met Tenmangu "about 30 years ago". Tenmangu disappeared 20 years ago. The discussion happened when the Ropponmatsu prototype had been completed, which was said to have taken eight years. Hence - assuming the clock started ticking immediately after Tenmangu met Kabapu - 22 years), so Shiouji'd been four back then, which is where I got my present-day 26. How's that for "easy calculations"?

This would also make Umi 6 when she first met Shiouji, which - like her present-day age of 18 - I also think was mentioned somewhere, perhaps as canon a source as the Oubliette or back cover.

Going on another limb here, Watanabe and co. are at most 23 or so. They're all college graduates, which usually happens in Japan at the age of 21, and I don't think they could have survived being unemployed for several years, and none of them apparently had a job prior to work in the City Environmental Security Administration.

BUT THEN AGAIN. I'm wondering if someone has actual facts, or even alternative theories.

MincyMatsu

• Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 12:25:13 PM »
Your calculations fro Shiouji's age there was the exact thing i had in mind, so yes, i guess 26 is a realistic age to assume for him...

SWamP

• Unpaid Translator
  • Toilet Cleaner
  • In your house, cooking your pets.
    • View Profile
    • Efexsagá
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 02:43:32 PM »
I can't shake this strange feeling that it's either been outright stated or can be pretty easily calculated that Umi is 18 and Shiouji is 26, but I can't be bothered to leaf through my 19 volumes for the single aside that confirms it. Can you good people lend me a hand here?

Volume 12.

...at the present, Umi is at least 19 (birthday event in the 2nd chapter of volume 17).

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 05:32:54 AM »
Hahahaha. Oh wow, that was a lot easier than I thought. Can't believe I missed that when I was leafing through my volume 12. I wonder if there's some way we can deduce the City Environmental Security Administration heroes' ages from these hard facts?

The question of exactly how long the plot has been going on is still also open.

MincyMatsu

• Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 06:10:09 AM »
To think that i forgot that D:
I should read through everything once again anyway, it's been so long...

Pamplemousse

• That Office Lady!
  • Toilet Cleaner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 10:13:47 AM »
On the matter of age, though it's clearly impossible to discern the ACROSS girls' ages, does it REALLY annoy anyone else when they're referred to as "teens"? I've seen this on countless website blurb summaries, for both the manga and the anime. Ok, for the anime it's semi-accurate, but manga!Excel is about the farthest thing from a teen that you can get. Sort of... sometimes? Bah, it's a pet peeve.
Hey Micki!, Ropponmatsu 2 is at the most 2 years old.  :il_hahaha: -points and laughs-
I, Pamplemousse, do not believe in alligators.

MincyMatsu

• Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 10:21:14 AM »

Hey Micki!, Ropponmatsu 2 is at the most 2 years old.  :il_hahaha: -points and laughs-

:lordilvryannoyed:
 :excel_fall:

exckilla

• ACROSS SUPER SECRET COMMANDER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 02:29:54 PM »
So how old is excel supposed to be going by the anime she's 19, at least

SWamP

• Unpaid Translator
  • Toilet Cleaner
  • In your house, cooking your pets.
    • View Profile
    • Efexsagá
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 03:12:52 PM »
So how old is excel supposed to be going by the anime she's 19, at least

By Volume 3, in that Fukuoka Mayoral Elections chapter, Excel (and Hyatt) were, at least, 20 years old.

Minimun voting age in Japan is 20
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_age

Again, that's only if Excel is a "normal" human...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 03:23:41 PM by El Sargento »

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 03:19:17 PM »
Yeah, Excel, Hyatt, and Elgala should all be at least 20 because of the voting thing. Watanabe and the bunch are probably anywhere from 20-25, which is typical for seinen manga (College-aged main characters), with Umi being the youngest at 18 (well, of the human characters).

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 10:58:44 PM »
Well, in volume 12 she busts out that old junior high swimsuit, which would suggest that she's been to school, at least...

HA1L ILPALLAZZO

• I have returned
  • Spam Master
  • HA1L ILPALAZZO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 02:29:48 AM »
Well, in volume 12 she busts out that old junior high swimsuit, which would suggest that she's been to school, at least...
eh heh heh the junior high swimsuit is actually a uniform from a job she used to do (in fact her wardrobe is full of past part time jobs)

Randamo

• Special Municipal Force Daitenzin Member
  • You're not my Master Chief, and that's okay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 03:32:36 AM »
based on something excel said in 19, i don't think she's been to school.

As for how long the series has been running in their time. I had a post on some other thread that had it all thought out...
but the first mission we see started some time between June 30 - July 4 in 1997 and in vol 18 it was 2008 (time of year ???).
So by vol 19 it's been 11-12 years! They'd be in their thirties by now, and since they were college graduates at the start, about 35!