Author Topic: English Excel Saga Volume 22  (Read 23437 times)

Sean Gaffney

• Emergency food supply
    • View Profile
    • A Case Suitable for Treatment
Re: English Excel Saga Volume 22
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2011, 02:43:57 PM »
Got my copy today.  Rubbed it against my cheek (right upper) to make sure it was real.  It's fantastic.

Randomness

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2011, 02:46:36 PM »
^^ In the finest and grandest tradition established by the second ranked of ACROSS I will indeed begin to get noisy and speak my mind in run on sentences because I really enjoyed the latest volume and hearing that 27 is going to end the series, I can't wait to see how things are going to be wrapped up but the one volume a year release schedule is kind of getting me down I'll still maintain poise and hold my head high and shout HAIL RIKDO as I await the arrival of more and more volumes until it stops and I hope that Viz keeps releasing and doesn't drop the series because that would be really disheartening to have stuck with the series all up into the twenties and drop it so close to the end I know its not a big blockbuster like Naruto or Bleach or One Piece or whatever and it really is a shame that more people don't read it which is why I got my friends and brother to read but all in all I have a large degree of excitement and suspense about how the story is going and I hope that a lot of the mysteries are cleared up but probably not all of them because one problem with a series with sort of mysterious stuff going on is over-explaining the mechanics and mystery, like midichlorians in Star Wars and nanomachines in Metal Gear Solid so we don't need a huge dissertation on Solaria but we do need to learn how it relates to the cast and the Excels and all that.

And then I ran out of breath. I don't know how Excel's various voice actresses managed. So, yeah.

^ Nothing like the feeling of smooth book cover in the morning. It feels like victory.

E^D Crow

• Rev. Fr. Big Orange Nose Grabber, ACROSS chaplain
  • Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2011, 04:01:39 PM »
Just finished reading 22, and it it feels even more like 21 was a prelude to this volume, and to a new "phase" in the storyline, orsomethinglikethat. 

I'll be reading it again, tomorrow, and it looks like its time to open up a spot on my bookshelf.  Fairy Cube 2 - OUT, Excel Saga 22 - IN.  I can't wait until I have the whole series lined up on the shelf...
FIVE YEARS FROM NOW!
:elcry: :e_crying: :hdead:

Some additional comments:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

E^D

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2011, 05:02:42 PM »

Sonicbug

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2011, 08:51:55 PM »
Oh yeah, my review pf vol. #22 went live on Mania a few days ago.

http://www.mania.com/excel-saga-vol-22_article_129509.html

scorby

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2011, 08:40:43 PM »

Great volume. :elhappy:

Inkwolf

• Social Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2011, 09:00:49 PM »
I'm reading it on my lunch breaks at work.  I should finish tomorrow.

DEFENSE!! DEFENSE!!___OFFENSE!! OFFENSE!!

incarta

• Flying through the air like a tomahawk missle
  • Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2011, 05:08:19 AM »
Finished! A good volume, but my god the wait for the next is going to be painful. As long as we get to the end someday, I'll be happy.
SIGNATURE!!!!!!!! ....YEAH!

Randamo

• Special Municipal Force Daitenzin Member
  • You're not my Master Chief, and that's okay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2011, 10:59:58 PM »
Yay, my favourite book store in tha whole world had a whole stack of these!

I'll take one!

Reads....

Now, the next volume:

Can I admit something? I like the older volumes better.

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2011, 07:27:20 AM »
Can I admit something? I like the older volumes better.
Interesting opinion, and one that a lot of people I've talked to (who don't post here) seem to have. Why, might I ask?

Personally, I prefer the newer volumes due to the humor being a lot darker and because they tend to have more meaningful character interaction and progression than the first books. I also find the Excel/Elgala duo to be much funnier than the Excel/Hyatt duo and I'm happy that Kabapu and crew have been bumped up to main character status.

The only thing I actually like more about the older volumes is that Umi and Miwa aren't in them.

Kharaxel

• Miwa Fan
  • Unemployed
  • Miwa FUCK YEAH!
    • View Profile
    • Everything is Fabulous - MY BLOG
« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2011, 07:50:03 AM »
The only thing I actually like more about the older volumes is that Umi and Miwa aren't in them.
You... you die now. Please.

Just kidding. : P

Why you not like Miwa and Umi? They're fun characters I think.

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2011, 03:09:30 PM »
You... you die now. Please.

Just kidding. : P

Why you not like Miwa and Umi? They're fun characters I think.
I was being a bit overly harsh because that's just part of my personality, I think. :hdead:

I don't have a problem with Umi, but she's not one of my favorites. I think her conversations with Shiouji are hilarious, though.

I don't like Miwa at all, unless it's one of the scenes where she's screwing with Kabapu's head. But those are definitely some of the series' best moments.

I don't hate any of the characters in Excel Saga. I'm just not too keen on some of the ones introduced in the double-digit volumes.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 03:12:09 PM by Foggle »

Randamo

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2011, 12:16:46 AM »
I think Foggle, it's because it was sillier and didn't take itself seriously.

vol 13 is my most disliked volume because I had my weirdo Shiouji, confidently go into his office and be hacked. The whole scene gets serious and then... then!
Miwa sticks her chest in his face! Oh, mein... He lost everything that he was in that scene.

And I love Elgala/Excel too, but I miss Hyatt. I also liked Wantanabe/Hyatt, and I've gone 7 volumes without that!

Also, there are no long distance trips to weird locations with people like the manager there...

I'm all for wrapping up the plot, but must the dynamic be changed so? I don't want to give the impression I disliked 22, but I wasn't excited or all that into it. It makes me sad. Because I think I'm losing interest.

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 03, 2011, 07:15:44 AM »
I think Foggle, it's because it was sillier and didn't take itself seriously.

vol 13 is my most disliked volume because I had my weirdo Shiouji, confidently go into his office and be hacked. The whole scene gets serious and then... then!
Miwa sticks her chest in his face! Oh, mein... He lost everything that he was in that scene.
I definitely agree that 13 and - to an extent - 12 took themselves way too seriously. But what about the stuff after that? 14 was one of the silliest volumes in the entire series and 16 was a masterpiece of subtle, bleak comedy.

Totally feel you about 13, though. The chapters with Excel were HILARIOUS... but there were only two of them, and the scenes with Shiouji were fairly out of character.

I also liked Wantanabe/Hyatt, and I've gone 7 volumes without that!
I love Watanabe, and the whole almost-but-not-quite romance angle was certainly one of the highlights of volumes 11-15.
I don't want to give the impression I disliked 22, but I wasn't excited or all that into it. It makes me sad. Because I think I'm losing interest.
Understandable. It's still funny as hell, and most of the characters are the same, but it's presented completely differently now. Personally, I like it more, but I can see why you wouldn't.

Randamo

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 04, 2011, 12:38:52 AM »
I think volume 17-18 is where my love waned. I haven't read much lately. Maybe I'll do that now.