Author Topic: What's the last anime you've seen?  (Read 141668 times)

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
Re: What's the last anime you've seen?
« Reply #105 on: November 20, 2007, 08:03:58 PM »
I'm currently watching Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni, and, surprisingly, I love it.  I don't see why people call it "disturbing" or "scary," though.  I see stuff much worse than the dreaded "fingernail removal scene" almost daily. :\

skycloud

• Author
  • Dept of City Security
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 27, 2007, 02:43:15 PM »
I just watched all of School Days, it is the most heart breaking thing I have ever seen. I mean literally after watching it all I literally cried a little. It was just that sad, how can something so sweet become so tragic...

I have to find a time in the near future to go back and restore the world.
                 -Kyon

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #107 on: December 15, 2007, 05:21:10 PM »
RahXephon.

Anyone seen this?

I thought overall it was GREAT. The similarities to Evangelion are... undeniable. There are soooo many similarities in themes, characters, events, and even just show organization. But I don't want to say that Rahxephon "rips off" Eva, because I think it all works well with what it was trying to do.

The show starts off really really generic but as things get going it becomes unique and (I think) really good. There are some pretty chilling moments, and I like the ending (much more immediately satisfying than Eva, for both better and worse).

I'm getting the Serial Experiments Lain box set for Christmas. I've been obsessing over it even though I've never seen it before... really really looking forward to it.

E^D Crow

• Rev. Fr. Big Orange Nose Grabber, ACROSS chaplain
  • Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 15, 2007, 07:31:00 PM »
So, just today I subscribed to The Anime Network (on demand) and watched a lot.

Coyote Ragtime Show ep. 1 was pretty damn cool.  I will definitely follow that one for an extra $7 a month.  Lots of action in this outer space jail break mystery.

Best Student Council ep. 1 was...interesting.  I think I just might follow that one.  It's kind of weird, and I like that.

Cosplay Complex ep. 1 was off.  I thought it was kind of stupid...  Being that I will get all the episodes for the same price, I might watch one more, but I doubt it.  The jokes were hit and miss, and there is this one character who is a creepy pedophile lesbian.

Nurse Witch Komugi was complete crap.  Really.  I just didn't like it at all.  When it's not annoying, it's predictably boring.  A magical girl show that I can't tell if it's satire, or taking itself seriously.

Plastic Little.  I had heard the name before, and checked it out.  45 minutes of sci-fi plot-holes, blatantly unnecessary nudity, and confusion.  I finished it with more questions then when I started.

Next, I will check out Blood Reign: Curse Of The Yoma, Mystical Detective Loki Ragnarok, Kino's Journey, Tokyo Majin, and Zaion.

A lot of the series offered are in the middle (anywhere from eps. 2 to ficken 26) and that's annoying.

E^D
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 09:14:31 AM by E^D Crow »

HA1L ILPALLAZZO

• I have returned
  • Spam Master
  • HA1L ILPALAZZO
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 16, 2007, 06:55:45 AM »
I've been watching ./hack/sign (is that spelt right) and....I LOVE IT. it's an amazing and confusing storyline but I have come to expect that from anime in general and am looking forward to buying it on DVD  :ehail:

exckilla

• ACROSS SUPER SECRET COMMANDER
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 16, 2007, 01:44:26 PM »
Last anime I watched which was the early hours of this morning was kashimashi girl meets girl volume 1, I also own volume 2, a rather strange way to look at a same sex relationship with alien interferance. :hdead:

E^D Crow

• Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2007, 09:23:12 AM »
Since most regular TV is just awful, I've been sampling more from The Animé Network.

I watched four episodes of Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok.  The Norse mythology angle is interestingly done.  It was enjoyable; I will watch more.

Also, I saw eps. 2 and 3 of Venus Versus Virus.  A little bit of shoujo-ai, but not overt, with some pretty cool monsters and an interesting theme.  I wish I had seen the first episode, but not watching it didn't make the show any less enjoyable.

And Tokyo Majin ep. 1.  The zombies and monsters are great, and the powers of the kids who are fighting these things are cool.  A little confusing for a first episode, but it's an overall well made series.  I can't wait for the next ones.

E^D

exckilla

• ACROSS SUPER SECRET COMMANDER
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 18, 2007, 02:22:40 PM »
I was watching all of my Happy lesson series, and oone question still comes to mind if they can release poniponi poemey in my country age rating 18 with all the scenes still, there why couldn't they release happy lesson, or does it have something to do with 5 teachers living with a student thing.

The one anime movie I would like to get hold of is fist of the north star.

E^D Crow

• Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 28, 2007, 10:00:45 PM »
Finally, I saw Puni Puni Poemy.

I get it, even if I didn't really laugh at all of the jokes (cringed at many).  I'll just say that it is something that should have been made, and was.

Offensive and crass, in so many ways.  I enjoyed it.

E^D

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 29, 2007, 07:07:20 AM »
Finally, I saw Puni Puni Poemy.

I get it, even if I didn't really laugh at all of the jokes (cringed at many).  I'll just say that it is something that should have been made, and was.

Offensive and crass, in so many ways.  I enjoyed it.

E^D
It's beautiful.  Brings a tear to my eye.

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 01, 2008, 05:25:12 PM »
Recently rented vol. 1 of a "new" anime called 009-1.  Those of you versed in the manga history may know of this, since the original work was produced in 1967, it has taken 40 years for this anime version to emerge.

My feelings are... mixed.  Frankly, it seems a little campy, though admittedly in a fairly tongue-in-cheek sort of way (has a somewhat Bond like ridiculousness to it, which is appropriate since it is also an Action-Spy genre work).  It is dated both content wise and artistically - sort of.  To maintain a parallel with the original work, character design matches the general style of its time (think Lupin the Third), but the animation quality itself is very modern, digital work.  Also, the main premise is pretty obvious as well - a hot chick super (cyborg) spy kicks ass, has sex, then kicks more ass against the bad guy.  009-1 is essentially an adult version of the original Cyborg 009, made by the same writer (his name escapes me at the moment), but with added sex and violence.  It was notable for being the first young adult manga out there, but it just seems too dated for me, and a bit corny.  It isn't painfully stupid, but just wasn't worth my time.

However, if you are a fan of older style anime, it is something both new and familiar, and you may very well like it.  I'd give it a 6.5/10.

Now, I am off to watch Le Chevalier D'Eon, which I heard is pretty good, but we shall soon see.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Uncreativity

• Solarian Princess
  • Dept of City Security
  • KANIMISO!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 01, 2008, 07:46:43 PM »
I'm on my umpteenth rewatching of Revolutionary Girl Utena. It's one of my absolute favorite animes. It's just so weird and surreal, hilarious and dramatic at the same time. I wish there were more of it... but I guess I hate the manga and the movie, so maybe I shouldn't.

I also recently finished the second season of When Lolis Cry Higurashi. I went from absolutely loathing that show, to sort of tolerating it, to liking it, to absolutely hating it again. But I'm glad the kids finally got a happy ending. I'm more content to leave it there than try to force myself through the next season when it comes out.

R Kenshin

• Bio Scientist
  • Toilet Cleaner
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 02, 2008, 09:49:01 AM »
i had the liberty of watching Mushishi over the break.

Its a great series that deserves the best series to come out on DVD last year. Its may be a bit slow for some people.

Another series was "Gankutsuou". This was phenominal and made me cry when a certain character died.
Roar, Roar, fight the power

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 02, 2008, 08:18:03 PM »
I'm wrapping up vol. 2 of Le Chevelier D'Eon, and I will say I am very impressed, it is certainly one of the more intelligent anime out there, even if some of the dialogue is a little unrealistic or even cheesy in parts, most of it is quite well done.  Animation is typical high caliber I.G. work, the English voice cast is exceptional, and I do believe it is deserving of the title "Ghost in the shell with sword fighting".  Very good thus far, and I will keep watching.  It looks like a possible buy as well, check it out.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

E^D Crow

• Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 03, 2008, 12:33:55 PM »
I watched Tekkonkinkreet last night, and was very impressed.  I thought it would be very different, but it was a really great movie, all around.

I'm continuing to watch Best Student Council, and it's not something that I thought I would like, but it's got me hooked.  Cute, funny, and weird, with just a tiny pinch of action.

E^D