Author Topic: What's the last anime you've seen?  (Read 141235 times)

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: What's the last anime you've seen?
« Reply #345 on: July 09, 2008, 05:25:44 PM »
Yeah, that's what I thought based on the couple screenshots I've seen.

You've seen the whole series?

E^D Crow

• Rev. Fr. Big Orange Nose Grabber, ACROSS chaplain
  • Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: July 09, 2008, 08:22:58 PM »
GSG Il Teatrino is pretty disappointing though. Mostly because of poor quality animation and music sucking all the atmosphere out of the series. While the first season was more realistic in terms of character designs and backgrounds, Il Teatrino is more pastel and cartoony. As well as action scenes that cut away from explosions just to avoid animating them.
That is a terrible thing to happen to such a great series.  My friend and I really enjoyed the first series.  You could tell that it was made with great care.

I have recently watched The Place Promised In Our Early Days.  It was a very touching movie, and I fully got into it.  Yay for happy endings!

I've also fell in love with, Ah!  My Goddess.  I bought the 6-disk collection, and really, really enjoyed the whole thing.  Now to get the rest!  The abrupt end was the only thing that was disappointing.

I've also started watching Noir.  It's assassin chicks with this weird "Let's get along and work together/I will kill you" thing going on, and I'm very curious as to how it is going to turn out.  I've only seen the first two episodes.

E^D

galenow

• Across Star 1
  • "hey, hey, hey..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 09, 2008, 10:48:04 PM »
Nurse Witch Komugi:
Has the main character dying and reviving more that Excel in one episode  :e_angry: and Nabeshin makes a guest appearance as director and pulls the machine guns out of his 'fro again. :im_nabeshin:
That's about it. an ok rental.

Mr Crispy

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: July 10, 2008, 01:54:02 PM »
Yeah, that's what I thought based on the couple screenshots I've seen.

You've seen the whole series?

No, just what was subbed before the group dropped it. (maybe about 6-7 episodes, I forgot)

E^D Crow

• Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: July 24, 2008, 03:33:34 PM »
Because I'm a sucker for yuri, I picked up Strawberry Panic.  Not really knowing much about it, I was pleasntly surprised.  The DVDs are subbed-only, but that's OK by me.  The show is light at times, dramatic at others, and focuses mainly on the developing relationships and romance of the girls, rather then sex, which is a good thing.  I'm not really a fan of hentai, and this show is pretty far from being that.  If you like girls who like girls, I think it's done a pretty good job.

E^D

exckilla

• ACROSS SUPER SECRET COMMANDER
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: July 25, 2008, 12:31:40 PM »
The hentai ones are quite comical some.  Started to re-watch my fist of the north star collection episodes 1 through to 36, since the bastards never decided to release the rest, I just wish the build up to when kenshiro came face with shin had been a bit like the manga, but that was just wishful thinking

E^D Crow

• Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 26, 2008, 07:20:36 PM »
Some short opinions, of recent shows on Animé Network I've been watching:

Ninja Nonsense - The Legend of Shinobu
It's funny, sometimes.  Nonsense is right...  The animators did a really good job, too bad it doesn't help the content any.  Mediocre, but I'll keep watching it.

AM Driver
It's quite interesting.  Jerks in super-suits and hover boards, killing bug-aliens for fame and humanity, and the one guy who's doing it for the right reasons.

Diamond Daydreams
Bittersweet tales of romance.  Very emotional, and the resolutions are always hopeful.  I might even buy this one.

Boys Be...
High school romance.  It's really sweet, so far.  NOT what I thought it was going to be, thankfully.

E's Otherwise
Social outcast psychics and dramatic tension.  I'm enjoying this series, as well.

E^D

galenow

• Across Star 1
  • "hey, hey, hey..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 26, 2008, 07:43:44 PM »
Master of Mosquiton, Sorta a vampire- Trigun type hero crossover, 6 episodes, fun to watch if you can find it. Netflix has copies.

5 cm per second. good but not what you would expect from this type of movie 

exckilla

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 27, 2008, 11:31:16 AM »
Hoping to buy The melancholy of suzumiya haruhi volume 3 next week as it is out for £20 in my local hmv

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 29, 2008, 07:19:38 AM »
Just saw two brand new ones on Sci-Fi channel's Ani-Monday - "Gurran Lagann" and "Now and Then, Here and There."  Two VERY different series, so I'll give a brief review of what I have seen thus far (just the first two eps of each from Sci-Fi, plus I watched ep 3 of Here and Then online.

Gurran Lagann:  From Gainax, care of Bandai, and you know what this means - big robots.  However, GL is more of a humorous series, with obvious artistic inspiration taken from FLCL, though it is not as random as FLCL, but it is definitely more in the ridiculous column when it comes to the extreme nature of the show and the action.  That's not a problem as such, just setting the stage for what kind of anime it is.  The three main characters, Kamina, Simone, and Yoko fall into fairly basic archetypes - Brash Hero, Timid Sidekick, and Gun-Girl - however I will say that they are atypical enough within their respective archetypes to make them more interesting than they sound initially.  Kamina may be brash and overly concerned with his "manly image", but he's also encouraging and selfless.  Simone is a timid tinkerer-type, but he has heart when called for, but little of his character has been developed beyond this basic level yet.  Yoko looks very much the part of the Gun-Girl - clad (and barely mind you) in the skimpiest possible clothing, and the camera loves to view from angles that focus upon her ass, breasts, and what have you.  Her primary role is obviously fan-service, but her personality is fortunately atypical of the Gun-Girl type - she is not cold and removed, or super-violent and bitchy, but lands somewhere in the middle.  She's friendly enough, but she can really use that big gun, and even though she looks pretty extreme, she doesn't act like it as much as other members of the "Gun-Girl" club.  So far I can't render a rating, but it's good enough for me to keep watching, even though I'm usually not a fan of Big-Robo - except when it is obviously funny (and it isn't all yuks, but it is definitely light hearted.  This is not Neon Genesis, and while funny it is also not FLCL).

Now and Then, Here and Now:  I had to go look up info on this one after I watched, and I must say if you are judging the series by the first part of the first episode - don't.  This is not a happy, cheerful story, and lovers of light-hearted anime should stay far away from this.  The animation is incredibly simple, almost looking like a product of the late 80's/early 90's, and having some definite relation to the art of Tenchi.  It is super basic, almost amateurish compared to the works of today, even though this series is only a few years old.  But what must not be ignored is the very adult content of the series.  it deals with themes of war, children forced into military service, extreme brutality, torture, animal cruelty, and rape.  It is a profoundly dark story, and obviously allegorical to the real world and many issues that concern it.  The basic premise is that a young boy named Shu is going about his normal life until he sees a girl sitting atop an old, inactive smokestack.  Shu had never seen anyone climb that stack but him, and he went to investigate.  There he finds a silent, mysterious young girl watching the sunset.  He tries to strike up a conversation, but she is less than communicative.  Eventually he learns her name and tries to continue to talk to her, but then something bizarre happens.

Shu is sucked into another world, and the young girl, Lala-Ru, is being attacked by a woman and some soldiers in strange machines.  Lala-Ru pleads for his help, and Shu fights to free her.  I won't reveal anything more than the set-up, but the basic gist of the story is straightforward and linear - Shu endeavors to free Lala-Ru from the strange place he finds himself in and gets to experience the horrors of this war-torn world, a shadow reality of Earth.

The series might even be considered a fairly heavy handed and even polemical argument against a number of issues that affect our world, but it is a worthy series from what little I have seen and is definitely a more adult story, even though it is relatively simple in construction.  It will be one I want to finish, and I believe it is relatively short - 13 eps I believe. 

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 29, 2008, 08:44:48 PM »
I haven't watched anime in an entire month.  Wow.

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #356 on: July 29, 2008, 08:57:57 PM »
I'm very slowly working my way through Noir.

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #357 on: July 29, 2008, 09:01:09 PM »
By the way Mr Elric, your passages on those two animes provide great info, thanks.

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 30, 2008, 05:32:54 AM »
By the way Mr Elric, your passages on those two animes provide great info, thanks.

No problem  :im_nabeshin:

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

exckilla

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 30, 2008, 12:52:14 PM »
Does anyone know if the original fist of the north star anime movie is available on dvd  and where to buy it from.