Author Topic: What's the last anime you've seen?  (Read 141508 times)

Randamo

• Special Municipal Force Daitenzin Member
  • You're not my Master Chief, and that's okay.
    • View Profile
Re: What's the last anime you've seen?
« Reply #495 on: April 08, 2009, 05:12:09 AM »
oh okay, they were called ovas on the disks. They are full episodes.
Also, Kujibuki the series was being sold with genshiken at the same time. a 12 episode series. I wanted to get it, but the guys told me i should get genshiken first. I hadn't even heard about that series, so i was happy to get genshiken.
Anyway, tra la la!

MincyMatsu

• Don't leave out the "!"
  • Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
  • On the internet, no one can hear you scream
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duke4.net
« Reply #496 on: April 08, 2009, 10:16:52 AM »
FLCL
Got it in mail, and i loved it to death... Freaking hard to follow in some points, but cryptic in a way i like, and the animation was godly...  :il_hahaha:
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

exckilla

• ACROSS SUPER SECRET COMMANDER
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 11, 2009, 01:26:31 AM »
^ kinda thought that was crap, in my own opinion.  Recently watched sword for truth, I know it's old but it's got samurais, ninja and lots of blood.

Inkwolf

• Social Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 11, 2009, 04:47:36 PM »
FLCL's not my cuppa tea, but I know lots of people love it.

Rewatching Azumanga Daioh as I wait for Bandai to replace my funky GA-X disc. :D

Finished Those Who Hunt Elves recently...slow starter, but it got pretty funny in spots.

DEFENSE!! DEFENSE!!___OFFENSE!! OFFENSE!!

E^D Crow

• Rev. Fr. Big Orange Nose Grabber, ACROSS chaplain
  • Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 12, 2009, 11:16:16 AM »
Watched volume 12 of Tsubasa.  It was OK.  The manga is still far from over, and they didn't really 'end' the animé, either.  Perhaps this is just the end of their animé adventures.

It did seem kind of slow.  Lots of people just staring at each other, with epic music in the background.  All in all, it could have been worse.

Also finished part 2 of Negima!?  I thought it was great, really funny.  As a whole, I liked it better then the first Negima! series, which kind of got sappy towards the end.  Plus, there was a lot more of all the other students.

E^D

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #500 on: April 13, 2009, 07:03:02 PM »
I love FLCL.

Inkwolf

• Social Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: April 14, 2009, 09:57:48 PM »
So very, very sad...

I watched Eyeshield 21 fan-subbed on Youtube for months.  Even bought bootleg videos because there were no real US releases. Now I finally managed to track down one of the Toonami English-dubbed episodes.  And it's sad.  The Japanese voices were so perfect and distinctive (and I'm so used to them.) It's been watered down and edited to make it kid-safe, too. And it looks like they barely tried to make the voices sync.  I kept seeing scenes where the voice actor was talking when the character's mouth was shut, or scenes with the character mouth-flapping in silence. They cut out too-violent scenes and took away all of Hiruma's swearing (one third of his vocabulary, gone just like that.) Mamori and Sena are stock characters, their voices can be replaced, but nobody will ever be able to match the original voice for Hiruma, or Kurita, or his little sidekick whose name I forgot. (Nobitsu?)

Maybe I understand subtitle-snobs a little more now.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 09:00:47 AM by Inkwolf »

Randamo

• Special Municipal Force Daitenzin Member
  • You're not my Master Chief, and that's okay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: April 15, 2009, 05:46:54 AM »
speaking of flcl and bad dubs, i believe flcl has one of the best english dubs. I don't cringe as much with those voice actors. And we all know america is capable of doing good voice acting - simpsons, red vs blue, futurama, ect. But what is it that they do with Anime that makes it suck? That's why flcl was done better i think - it had a more western feel to it.

Been watching school days, up to the 3rd episode. Also downloading princess tutu - just to see what it's like. Seen some AMVs, the art's awesome. And Higurashi. I mostly skip to different arcs based on my mood. Havent seen last half of second season, Cotton-drifting arc or the end of the arc with satoshi in it.

Inkwolf

• Social Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 15, 2009, 08:58:51 AM »
Princess Tutu starts out like a cute little Magical Girl comedy, but it does get darker and deeper with time. It might require a little patience to get to the best of it.

MincyMatsu

• Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: April 15, 2009, 09:16:35 AM »
I love Ahiru's voice in Princess Tutu...

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #505 on: April 15, 2009, 05:40:56 PM »
FLCL's dub is amazing. My favorite dubs are that, Cowboy Bebop (which is phenomenal), Samurai Champloo, Evangelion... and a few more probably.

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 16, 2009, 04:53:14 AM »
I would add Desert Punk, Those Who Hunt Elves, and Rune Soldier to that list. Ironically many of the humorous ones tend to have stronger dub tracks. Full Metal Panic is also pretty decent dub-wise for the primary characters, as is Black Lagoon, and Ghost in the Shell as well.

I tend to watch in English first, and if anything makes me cringe, I switch to Japanese to see if the difference is worth reading subtitles. When I look at my collection I can see that all but a few titles are ones I prefer in English - it's just easier to watch and listen to in a language you know of course. The only exceptions are Tenchi Muyo and Ah! My Goddess - I can't stand the English dubs save for a few voices (the English Urd for instance is awesome, but everyone else is pretty poor, which is sad).

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

MincyMatsu

• Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 16, 2009, 03:14:38 PM »
Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi...
Great fun, still have to watch the whole thing though...

Inkwolf

• Social Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: April 16, 2009, 04:34:47 PM »
Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi...
Great fun, still have to watch the whole thing though...

Whoa!  Me TOO!  I'm enjoying it a lot more than I expected, I saw some on Youtube before that seemed pretty dull.

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: April 16, 2009, 06:19:56 PM »
Oh yeah, Abenobashi, got that on my shelf as well, another great English dub - just so long as you understand the Southern U.S. accents simulate what the Osaka dialect sounds like compared to normal Japanese you'll be fine. Very quirky, I don't re-watch it as often as most of my other titles, but I usually give it another go a couple times a year.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move