Author Topic: What's the last anime you've seen?  (Read 141252 times)

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: What's the last anime you've seen?
« Reply #255 on: April 14, 2008, 09:26:32 AM »
So what's this anime network? What do you have (comcast, att&t, satellite? is it just called 'the anime network'?) If I have it I'd definitely check it out (I don't watch TV very much so I'm not sure what the hell I have... other than we just changed to ATT&T so I'm still figuring out all the channels).

Inkwolf

• Social Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 14, 2008, 12:53:56 PM »
Don;t look at me, I don't have anything but network, and that's fuzzy. :D

Watching Sorcerer Hunters now.  I had heard of it long ago when I was looking for more fantasy/comedy series, but never been able to find it.  Yesterday I poked around the used-video store and they had the complete four-disc set for $17, so, in spite of already having blown way more anime money this month than I really could afford, I splurged.

Not quite my cup o tea so far, I'm afraid.

DEFENSE!! DEFENSE!!___OFFENSE!! OFFENSE!!

Rika-chama

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 14, 2008, 02:37:41 PM »
Started watching Simoun which so far is really really good.

Also getting Mai-Otome and Le Chevalier D-Eon form Netflix. Chevalier is really good so far and Mai-Otome is pretty decent for those fans of Mai-Hime. So far it's nothing special.

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 14, 2008, 07:45:15 PM »
Sorcerer Hunters was complete shite, I saw a similar deal at a shop here, so I rented the first disc just in case.  Yeah, crap on a stick.  Alas when I see a complete series for under $30 it is usually that way for a reason, the one exception for me being Rune Soldier.

Le Chevalier D'Eon is very good, but avoid the dub - the main characters are well done, but the secondary characters are often horrible, especially Cagliostro - god, whoever did his voice I just wanted to smack him.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Inkwolf

• Social Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 14, 2008, 08:58:57 PM »
Sorcerer Hunters was complete shite, I saw a similar deal at a shop here, so I rented the first disc just in case.  Yeah, crap on a stick.  Alas when I see a complete series for under $30 it is usually that way for a reason, the one exception for me being Rune Soldier.

Le Chevalier D'Eon is very good, but avoid the dub - the main characters are well done, but the secondary characters are often horrible, especially Cagliostro - god, whoever did his voice I just wanted to smack him.

Believe it or not, there's a fanlisting and fan website for SH...though nobody's posted on their forum in '08.  I'm 8 episodes in, now, and I found a few of them enjoyable, but it's just not very funny unless you get into horny girl-chasers and possessive dominatrixes.

But I've found a lot of good complete series for under $30. :D Including Azumanga Daioh on sale for $24.

Chevalier D'eon--I got only halfway through it before I decided not to spend any more library budget than necessary on full-priced new releases.  It was gorgeous and exciting, though it took severe liberties with history.  (For example, the real Robespierre would have been about 5 years old at the time.)

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 15, 2008, 10:07:37 AM »
Chevalier D'eon--I got only halfway through it before I decided not to spend any more library budget than necessary on full-priced new releases.  It was gorgeous and exciting, though it took severe liberties with history.  (For example, the real Robespierre would have been about 5 years old at the time.)

I'm a historian, believe me, I know, but think of it more as historical fantasy.  I try to let go of that side of me and enjoy if for what it is, fantasy inspired by history and historical characters.  Also, a few of the characters died before their time in the anime, or lingered longer than normal.  Causality was played with heavily, but meh, it was a good series on the whole.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

exckilla

• ACROSS SUPER SECRET COMMANDER
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 15, 2008, 02:34:05 PM »
recently started watching Karin again, really funny

E^D Crow

• Rev. Fr. Big Orange Nose Grabber, ACROSS chaplain
  • Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 15, 2008, 06:15:52 PM »
So what's this anime network? What do you have (comcast, att&t, satellite? is it just called 'the anime network'?) If I have it I'd definitely check it out (I don't watch TV very much so I'm not sure what the hell I have... other than we just changed to ATT&T so I'm still figuring out all the channels).
I have Cablevision's IO digital cable, and they carry Animé Network (heretofore referred to as AN) as part of their On Demand service.  You can start any episode that is available, at any time.  I've had AN since December, and have been posting the shows I've seen on it, starting from page 9 of this thread.http://www.excelsagaforum.com/index.php?topic=676.msg35984#msg35984

AN is owned by ADV, y'know, that company that puts out all kinds of anime and even publishes manga.  The deal is, they have categories, such as 'Action Zone', 'Giant Robots', 'Girl Power', 'Super Happy Fun Time'...  As an example, I watched Magikano, Best Student Council, and Kanon on their 'Girl Power' list, Coyote Ragtime Show and Kino's Journey on 'Action Zone'.

The thing is, they update the list once a week, removing a few of the older episodes, and replacing them with newer ones.  I went on vacation for two weeks, and all of a sudden Best Student Council is gone, but a whole bunch of other shows were put up.  I really don't understand how they pick what they do.  Before I left, Moonlight Mile and Project Blue: Earth S.O.S. were up, but that may have been a marketing ploy by ADV to get me interested enough to buy the DVD's that they are releasing now.  I was into Venus Versus Virus, too, but they also stopped that, perhaps realizing they were selling the DVD's at the same time, or I may have just missed the finalé.

I watch it often, as I can't find anything interesting on TV.  Plus, that's how I discovered Elfen Lied and Kanon, both of which I purchased on DVD.

I really miss Best Student Council... :elcry:

Don;t look at me, I don't have anything but network, and that's fuzzy. :D

Watching Sorcerer Hunters now.  I had heard of it long ago when I was looking for more fantasy/comedy series, but never been able to find it.  Yesterday I poked around the used-video store and they had the complete four-disc set for $17, so, in spite of already having blown way more anime money this month than I really could afford, I splurged.

Not quite my cup o tea so far, I'm afraid.

I first saw the sequel, Spell Wars: Sorcerer Hunters Revenge on VHS, well over ten years ago (one of the first animé series I've seen).  I liked it then.  The first Sorcerer Hunters series is OK, but not great, and tamer then the three episode OVA series, which I saw on AN.  I like the manga much better.

E^D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 06:10:22 PM by E^D Crow »

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 16, 2008, 04:27:29 PM »
Two episodes of Magikano.  And it's a piece of shit.

E^D Crow

• Rev. Fr. Big Orange Nose Grabber, ACROSS chaplain
  • Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 16, 2008, 06:31:25 PM »
Two episodes of Magikano.  And it's a piece of shit.
Yeah, it was- all of it.  I likened it to a train wreck: so awful, I couldn't turn away.  The ending is just as pathetic as the beginning... and the middle.
An unremarkable show.  It was like watching a movie, that you already know is just awful, over and over, but worse.

Then again, I watched the entirety of Incubus, starring Tara Reid, and still demand that hour and a half of my life back.

...and I've seen Ishtar. :hdead:

--

I did watch a few episodes of Saiyuki, and found it entertaining, if a little bit cheaply animated at times (lots of lips moving, not much else, shots).  The characters are funny and kick some demon ass, and sometimes, that's all it takes for me to watch it.

E^D

Mr Crispy

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 16, 2008, 08:17:13 PM »
Finished watching the Neuro anime.

It's really disappointing how much it strayed from the manga, especially at the end (the whole South American half brother thing was pretty WTF) where it pretty much kills all hope of a second series or direct continuation while leaving a lot of things wide open (like the Claymore anime ending). So that means no animated Six and his glorious beardedness.  :elcry:

Also what was the point of Ai making a cameo appearance if they cut her out of the first two X arcs and didn't feature her at all in the anime only arc?

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #266 on: April 16, 2008, 08:43:41 PM »
I'm most of the way through Texhnolyze, and halfway through Haibane Renmei. I just have to wait for the remaining DVDs of each series to arrive.

exckilla

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 18, 2008, 03:01:58 PM »
First volume of the dbz season 3:  freeza saga, on of my favourite sagas in the dbz universe

Inkwolf

• Social Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 18, 2008, 06:05:39 PM »
I put Sorcerer Hunters aside and am watching Kino's Journey. Good stuff.

exckilla

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 20, 2008, 03:02:38 AM »
I bought myself school rumble volume 2, much more funnier than the first volume, also got myself a kiddies video classic from the past Action force: a rise serpentor