Author Topic: What's the last anime you've seen?  (Read 150415 times)

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
Re: What's the last anime you've seen?
« Reply #630 on: October 20, 2009, 04:16:48 PM »
I also bought the Lucky Star OVA, which was...OK.  Just OK.  I love the series, but there was something off about the OVA.  Not nearly as funny, and some scenes seemed to really drag along.  The ending with Akira and Minoru was also pretty bad.  I would have rather seen an animated Lucky Channel at the end.

E^D
I know what you mean. I was expecting a lot more as an OVA. It really managed to cut itself short on quality storytelling. >_< Only a few laughs here and there. Just nothing exciting as a whole.

exckilla

• ACROSS SUPER SECRET COMMANDER
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: October 21, 2009, 12:09:58 PM »
I quite liked lucky star, I download the ova to look at but I was unimpressed, same goes for the pointless elfen lied 11.5 episode, I found it annying it never got a UK release, I did like the dubbing in that though

Randamo

• Special Municipal Force Daitenzin Member
  • You're not my Master Chief, and that's okay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: October 27, 2009, 11:37:42 PM »
Finished Toradora and the second season sure was different. It got all serious with fighting scenes, blood and people yelling at each other. The major fight scene between the Student Pres and Aisaka was brutal. It felt real though, in a teenagers-are-idiots-who-kill-each-other-over-their-crushes way. I did get interested about the the subplot where Ryuji tries to decide what to do with his future. I didn't think it was such a big deal if he wanted to  just get a job and not go to college. He's a simple kid, he would've been fine with that. In the end, they never clarified what he ended up doing. Maybe i have to read the novel...

Saw Zoku sayonara zetsubou sensei - the ova. I loved the openings, very cool. And i liked the bishou style scene they did. I like how this anime experiments with styles. My fav characters are Nozumu(of course) Chiri and Maria (her clueless voice is so funny).

Lord Il

• Spam Master
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #633 on: October 28, 2009, 12:08:47 PM »
Finished Toradora and the second season sure was different. It got all serious with fighting scenes, blood and people yelling at each other. The major fight scene between the Student Pres and Aisaka was brutal. It felt real though, in a teenagers-are-idiots-who-kill-each-other-over-their-crushes way. I did get interested about the the subplot where Ryuji tries to decide what to do with his future. I didn't think it was such a big deal if he wanted to  just get a job and not go to college. He's a simple kid, he would've been fine with that. In the end, they never clarified what he ended up doing. Maybe i have to read the novel...
Only saw the very first episode myself as I was curious to what the commotion was all about with it.

But yeah, I've heard that everything takes on a surprisingly odd turn later on - it's as though everything does an extreme 180. Not sure if this is a series I really want to persue yet for that reason. hmm..

Randamo

• Special Municipal Force Daitenzin Member
  • You're not my Master Chief, and that's okay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: November 01, 2009, 02:16:15 AM »
i have no idea whether to recommend it. I got interested in the second season because so much was happening and like i said, i wanted to know what Ryuji was gonna do with himself. But the most genki of characters got depressed and Baka-Ryuji stayed the same, but he did want to force his ideas on people and it got a bit tiring. Aisaka got more reasonable, but likeable...? Ami stayed the same. I thought Ami would build up on something and reveal her feelings or whatever, but she just ended up on the sidelines for 20 or so episodes up to the end. But i probably ruined it for you at this point anyway.

I got GTO. So far i prefer the manga for its indepth story line, but the anime lacks. I really don't like either dub. But i'll go on to the end.

Lord Il

• Spam Master
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #635 on: November 01, 2009, 09:29:27 AM »
But i probably ruined it for you at this point anyway.
Yes, I think you did. Not because of spoilers though - it just sounds like it gets very... messed up! :il_hahaha:

exckilla

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: November 01, 2009, 03:05:04 PM »
rebought elfen lied volume 3 and ouran host club parts 1 and 2

Mad Hatteress

« Reply #637 on: November 01, 2009, 03:09:35 PM »
^ I freaking love Elfen Lied; I'm so glad I didn't listen to the people who said it's nothing but violence. Oh, yes, there is a ton in it but there's a much deeper message in there about humanity. I've still only watched the last episode once because I cried like a baby.

exckilla

• View Profile
« Reply #638 on: November 02, 2009, 12:28:14 PM »
I found it a shame they never released the extra episode in the uk 11.5 I think it is referenced has, I would have loved to have read the manga, it's a shame it was not a very long series, because it had the premise for being something larger.  I would love it if the did a Saw anime, but I just like gory stuff.

Mad Hatteress

« Reply #639 on: November 17, 2009, 03:24:20 PM »
Forgot to mention that I watched an episode of Monster last night on Syfy. The episode I saw was pretty neat but I don't know exactly what the series is about; hopefully I'll get clued in eventually because I plan on watching more of it.

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #640 on: November 17, 2009, 08:44:50 PM »
I'm a lover of Elfen Lied as well.

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: November 17, 2009, 08:52:27 PM »
I couldn't get into Elfen Lied. It's not like I have a problem with violence or nudity or anything like that, I just didn't find it appealing in the least. The "comedy"/fanservice scenes really turned me off of it, as well.

And while it may have had a good message under it all, I feel that its reliance on shock value to get its points across was completely unnecessary and that the characters could have been fleshed out a lot more.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 08:54:58 PM by Foggle »

Mad Hatteress

« Reply #642 on: November 18, 2009, 01:36:57 PM »
And while it may have had a good message under it all, I feel that its reliance on shock value to get its points across was completely unnecessary and that the characters could have been fleshed out a lot more.

Normally I find content like that too be way too much but the most horrific stuff I feel was handled tastefully, such as the puppy being killed behind an object so the viewer couldn't see it. As you all know I can't stand rape scenes, so at least the little girl's stepfather molesting her wasn't shown. I knew it was violent but I didn't know there was sexual assault as well.

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #643 on: November 19, 2009, 09:53:13 AM »
I don't think it was RELYING on shock value at all. I loved the depth to the show, not the violence.

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: November 19, 2009, 04:13:36 PM »
I don't think it was RELYING on shock value at all. I loved the depth to the show, not the violence.
It really felt like it was to me. Especially the first episode.