Author Topic: My Flashes (Excel Saga!: Remnants posted!)  (Read 45340 times)

Uncreativity

• Solarian Princess
  • Dept of City Security
  • KANIMISO!!
    • View Profile
My Flashes (Excel Saga!: Remnants posted!)
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2007, 12:14:34 PM »
She seems rounder about the crotch than Ha-chan does. I think that's the problem.

I'M Eh-chan!

• Pedophile Scientist
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/ehchan/
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2007, 12:44:15 PM »

Better?

HA1L ILPALLAZZO

• I have returned
  • Spam Master
  • HA1L ILPALAZZO
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2007, 12:48:38 PM »
surprisingly much

I'M Eh-chan!

• Pedophile Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2007, 02:47:14 PM »
Awesome!  Thanks for the advice!

HA1L ILPALLAZZO

• I have returned
  • Spam Master
  • HA1L ILPALAZZO
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2007, 02:52:37 PM »
like the new avatar by the way (brilliant)

I'M Eh-chan!

• Pedophile Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2007, 02:56:43 PM »
Thank you!  :Ewink:

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2007, 06:35:08 PM »
Seriously, you and Micki! make a great team for this project.

I'm liking these chibi designs a lot because of the level of originality which is brought into creating them.. they weren't made to look exactly like Rikdo chibis which IMO, (and pardon my Martha Stewart) is a good thing. ^^ The expressions in their eyes tell of their individual personalities perfectly; The always energetic Excel, the exuberance of Elgala, and the... well, dazed sickly-ness of Hyatt. And Lord Il is just a big mass of curtain with a head anyways, correct? heh..

The font you've been using seems to match quite well with the style of how the manga is written. Were you using Comic Sans MS? Maybe something similar? Regardless, I think it works for what you're going for here.

Any written sound effects would be best to keep in japanese and have actual sound effect sounds to compliment accordingly. There's many sites out there which offer downloading of just about any sound you could want (Although, I'm not sure of how far you're wanting to go with this). ^^;

If you were to add any music, I would suggest using an Excel Saga MIDI. It would suit the styling of this flash really well. That's up to you.

The colors are great for the style. It may not be good to have too much of a complex palette of colors to be concerned with - no need to kill yourself. lol.

Props on thinning out El's belly just a tad. Even though they are in chibi form, HA1L was right about that. b^_^
But then, perhaps El has been letting herself go just a bit..
Shameful if that's the case. :Elconfus:

I'M Eh-chan!

• Pedophile Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2007, 07:16:45 PM »
Wow!  Thank you for the comment Lord il!

As I've said so many times before, I'm also loving the chibi characters!  It's funny, because it started out as a copy of those shots from episode 18, but it's evolved drastically in such a short time!  I agree about the eyes, too.  In fact, I was showing my friend (who I recently finished showing the anime too) the designs and he said Hyatt looked dead.  I laughed and said that was perfect, since that's how she actually looks a lot of the time anyways  :Epleased: In fact, just about the only thing that has really remained from the original conception is the scribbled hand-drawn backgrounds.

As for the font, it is something I found online called "Web Letterer" that I got for free from a site called BlamBot.  This is another thing that has evolved.  Originally, when I was going with the whole hand-drawn scribble effect, I was just going to hand write all the text (with a mouse, that is).  I later decided it would be nice if people could actually READ what it said on screen, so I decided to switch to using that ubiquitous font that is used in every single webcomic/manga ever.  I don't know if this is the exact one, and I think the real font is called "Wild words", but that one costs $130, so that was out of the question. :Econfused:

As for the sound effects, there are only going to be written sound effects.  This movie is going to be something along the lines of AMV Hell, except with all Excel Saga (my friend showed me the first one a while ago, and I recently watched a youtube video of all the Azumanga Daioh clips from the third).  So it is a series of short music videos covering scenes/ideas from the manga with music that fits the scene in whatever way.  Since this is the case, I don't want to have actual sound effects in there since I feel they will clutter or overpower the music.  In all, there are 11 segments and the final flash will clock in at around 5 minutes or so in length.

This is my fifth flash, but my first flash working entirely with non-sprite objects.  As such, this one is a sort of "testing-the-waters" experiment.  It's only going to have some simple animations and run at 12 fps.  It's actually really part of the style of the flash.  But I'm planning on doing a sequel (Excel Saga!!) that will run at 24 fps with much smoother animations, actual lip-syncing, all of the characters, and lots of other improvements.  In fact, I've already started a little text file where I keep adding ideas in for the sequel.  Some of them I'm super excited about!

But yeah, I'm glad HA1L pointed the Elgala thing out to me.  That's why I've been posting these pics for everyone!  I love getting feedback and sharing my progress!  In fact, I have to stop myself from posting more screenshots as I want to keep the rest of the movie a surprise!

Thanks again for the comments!

excel-kleinwald

• Dept of City Security
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2007, 07:21:29 PM »
I think we all (except I'm Eh-chan!) know my opinion Elgala >.>  it doesn't matter how much you trim her she willa lways be fat in my mind's eye!  :elembarassed:  Chubby little spoiled brat!  EXCEL 4EVA!!!! :exhail:

And I just wanted to say it all looks great  :Etoung:

I'M Eh-chan!

• Pedophile Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2007, 09:57:27 PM »
I think I've seen you mention something like that before excel-kleinwald (P.S.:  Excel is my favorite too  :exhail: )

Well, I've made another design decision.  The problem with long flashes is that they tend to lose sync with the music as time goes on.  There is a way to remedy this, but if I do it, you won't be able to pause the movie whenever you wanted because if you pause by right clicking and selecting pause (or unchecking play) the music won't stop playing and the whole thing will go crazy.  The payoff (perfect sync) is much greater than the cost (loss of pause), but I'm going to add a scene select anyway so if you need to stop the movie for any reason, you can just return to where you were without having to watch the whole thing over again.

MincyMatsu

• Don't leave out the "!"
  • Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
  • On the internet, no one can hear you scream
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duke4.net
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2007, 06:29:19 AM »
Nice that people like it  :Ecool:
And it's good HA1L pointed the thing out about Elgala... I noticed too after i read it

I look forward to the finished version, but i'm a little Curious Eh-Chan... Will you need help for expressions too..? I asked before, but i want to be completely sure... perhaps you need closed eyes for them all, or closed mouths, wide opened mouths, shock expressions, happy, disgusted etc...

There's alot, but this all depends on what kinds of scenes will be in that flash movie of course (could be of minimal use, therefor you might not need my help afterall, that's why i ask)

Do you need a different version of Lord Il Palazzo..? He only haas these closed eyes, and happy expression in that anime version of him... maybe you'd want him with a more serious expression..? (and also original-ize it more, by not using existing art from the anime)

Anybody else here might want to throw in a word or two regarding these suggestions too
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

I'M Eh-chan!

• Pedophile Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2007, 07:46:28 AM »
Nope, I'm actually all set with the expressions.  I actually have a lot of fun making the different moods and feelings with body language and facial expressions!

As for Il Palazzo, I'm going to keep him as he is for this flash.  For the sequel, I'm definitely going to use an original version (if you still feel up to making them, that is!).  In fact, the sequel is going to have both caped and capeless versions of Il.

The only reason I want to keep him as he is now is because I've already integrated this version into the flash in such a way that it will cause me major hardship if I have redo the model.

As for his expressions, I've got that covered too.  I actually didn't give him eyebrows, but I have the yellow eyes and I shape them in combination with the shape of his mouth to pull off all the expressions I need to.

Like I said, I find the expressions to be a lot of fun to play with, so I don't need help with that.  (But thanks for offering!)

It's really funny, because when you draw the faces on, you can see that if you change the shape of the mouth even just a tiny bit, the whole mood of the character can change!

HA1L ILPALLAZZO

• I have returned
  • Spam Master
  • HA1L ILPALAZZO
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2007, 09:50:09 AM »
when wil it be finished

I'M Eh-chan!

• Pedophile Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2007, 10:06:12 AM »
Lol, I have two exams this week and a third exam next week, but then I have spring break.  I'll still be working on it when I have some free time though.  For now, I am putting together as much of it as I can without the side and rear models, then I'll just go back and put those in.

I just finished messing around with the actionscript and buttons, so that's out of the way now.  Like I said, I've added a scene select, but I've also added an invisible button that only appears when you put your mouse on the top or bottom edge of the screen that displays the current scene number and will take you back to the title screen when clicked.

But I expect to be finished by the end of the month if everything goes well.

Kirbie

• Dept of City Security
    • View Profile
    • http://www.weallloveexcelsaga.blogspot.com
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2007, 03:46:51 PM »
These are great, loving the avatar by the way.  :D

Tonzura koite!