Author Topic: Anime Conventions  (Read 21134 times)

Uncreativity

• Solarian Princess
  • Dept of City Security
  • KANIMISO!!
    • View Profile
Re: Anime Conventions
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2008, 09:30:23 AM »
(By the way, UC, sorry we didn't do anything on Saturday - we ended up being in line for Masquerade tickets for most of the day when we would have done something).

By Saturday I had basically gone from  :ehail: to :hdead:, so it was all for the best. :|b

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2008, 03:54:19 PM »
LIVEJOURNAL ENTRY

We just got back from Anime Expo a couple days ago, and I think I've recovered enough now so I'll post my experience.

We left early morning last Wednesday and got to the hotel in LA sometime around 12:30. We waited a couple hours until Stephanie arrived to check us into the hotel/park our car. Then we unloaded everything into the hotel and met everyone who would be staying in the room. Stephanie, Greg, Abraham, Jason, Mark, Sonia, Brandon, Tony, and Nicole is most of everyone I think. For the first few minutes Chris and I were just kinda hanging out in the corner of the room, but I wanted to jump in because I knew if I were in the corner the first day it would become a trend for the rest of the trip and I wanted to have fun, so I jumped into the crowd fairly early on (I've really gotten better at doing that in the past couple years, it seems). After a little while we all went to pick up our pre-registration badges at the convention center. The convention was literally just across the street diagonally from us which was just awesome. We got the badges after a long wait in line (foreshadowing for what was to come) and then decided back at the hotel room to go to Little Tokyo for dinner. We hopped into a couple cars, Greg and I being the drivers, and went to nearby Little Tokyo. I wish we'd spent a little more time there - basically we just immediately went to a restaurant and then left when we were done. It was really good though, I had my curry and it was amazing. That night we watched Excel Saga on Chris' computer.

Thursday morning, which was the first day of the actual convention, started for Chris and I with the Opening Ceremony. It was in the Nokia theater, and it was pretty much just a big "welcome" thing, and it introduced all the guests of honor. One cool part was when some class from Japan came up and did some real-time voice acting. After the opening ceremony we got in line for Toshihiko Seki's panel. He was an apparently well-known Japanese voice actor who did things like Gundam and Ranma 1/2 and whatever. It was cool panel. After that we saw the ADV Sneak Panel, where he talked about ADV stuff and took some questions, then previewed one episode from "Akiba" (I think it was called), some new show of theirs. It was kinda crappy, seemed like a shitty Cartoon Network thing like Rave Master and whatever. Anyway, after that we went to the Exhibit Hall and looked at crap to buy. Then we stood in line for the rest of the day for the AMV contest. It was very very cool, a lot better than I thought it was going to be. The very first contest video played featured a song by freakin STAR ONE! I could believe it. Not only that, but it was set to the undeniably awesome Outlaw Star. Perfect. It was decided without seeing the rest of the videos that it would win best of everything. That night we watched Adult Swim stuff like Home Movies and Mission Hill and whatever was on.

Friday: The next morning we got up and stood in line for a while to get into David Hayter's panel, which was pretty freakin huge. It was great stuff, he was pretty funny. It was kinda nice to have a panel with an English speaker so that things don't get lost with a translator and whatnot, people can react as soon as things are said, and things move along quicker. After his panel we saw Evangelion 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone. Freakin awesome, I can't wait until it comes out/the rest of the movies are released. After that in the same screening room was "Sword of the Stranger", which was a masterpiece. I'll definitely be looking into it, I think Ando (the director, who was there to promote it) said it would be coming out in early 2009 or so. After that, we met up with Heater (Uncreativity) from the Excel Saga forums. That was pretty cool. We went to her art booth and checked that stuff out, then she gave us a new comic that she and her friend made called "Stand Up". She even personalized it by doodling for us. I read it that night, and it's funny. Anyway, we broke off and watched anime that was screening for the rest of the night. We started with Beck. ....meh, I didn't like it too much but we only saw a couple episodes and was clearly still building the story so I can't totally write it off. Then we watched half an episode of Stratos 4 which was pretty terrible, then watched Macross for a little bit. At 8pm Gunslinger Girl was showing, which I was sorta interested in. So we went over to that and saw the first DVD (5 episodes) and I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't all totally stupid like I would have thought based on the name. The next day I even bought the whole series box set (only 13 episodes, 35 bucks). Anyway, that night we watched Venture Brothers I think.

Saturday: The next morning we got up to get in line for the David Hayter signing session. Our plan was to get his autograph for Roger, and to get him to write (referring to his constant headaches) something like "Walk it off! - David Hayter". That would have been just perfect. But sadly all our efforts were for not as the signing session didn't last long enough to get to the front. We saw Masahiro Ando's panel immediately afterwards, who was an artist/storyboard artist for a bunch of things like the Bebop movie and Fullmetal Alchemist and whatnot, and had just directed his first movie (Sword of the Stranger). After that was "Paranormal Japan", a panel about Japanese folklore and creatures and things. It was apparently ridiculously popular, there was a huge huge long line to get into this little room. We just barely made it in. It was about an hour long or so. After that we watched half of Nausicaa and then got in line for the rest of the day for the Masquerade. The Masquerade started at 8 and went 'till about 10:45. It was alright, some of the skits were really good, but the rest felt like high school theme class skit ... deals... that they did at rallies. Meh. The hosts were incredibly entertaining though, I thought. Anyway, after that we went back to the room for the night. We watched various anime on Adult Swim. Bleach, Inuyasha, whatever, and the last episode of Death Note (woo!). They finally fished the series on Adult Swim I guess. Anyway, after that I tried to go to sleep because we had to drive back home in the morning. I ended up not being able to sleep until after 3am because it was hot and there was a conversation going on in the room.

Sunday we pulled out of the hotel just before 9am and made it home between 2 and 3 I think. We drove a total of almost EXACTLY 700 miles (like 699.5 or something).

Merch I bought: Cowboy Bebop shirt, Gunslinger Girl box set, Paranoia Agent box set, and a Metal Gear Solid button that says "Try pressing the Action button!" and has the triangle button on it. Also, I ended up getting the Metal Gear Solid codec as my ringtone as a result of the trip (we kept hearing people with it).

I had an amazing time, I definitely want to go again next year.

HA1L ILPALLAZZO

• I have returned
  • Spam Master
  • HA1L ILPALAZZO
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2008, 04:00:38 PM »
hey guys just had Alcon over the weekend and have a few pics to show

this is the dealers room and believe me it was more crampped then this

also I met someone there who is on this forum (WAHEY!!) she said she doesn't post much but her badge name was GesselschaftGal I think (sorry been on a sake frenzy XD) so if this was your badgename please post here please
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 04:02:27 PM by HA1L ILPALLAZZO »

E^D Crow

• Rev. Fr. Big Orange Nose Grabber, ACROSS chaplain
  • Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2008, 06:20:53 PM »
MangaNEXT, a really small off-shoot of the larger AniméNEXT, will be at the DoubleTree Hotel in Somerset, NJ, this year.  It is also on Halloween weekend, Oct. 31 - Nov. 2.  While I won't be there the first day (Halloween always trumps a con) I will at least enjoy the other two.

I hope the have the manga swap again.  I totally forgot to bring the ones I no longer want.

http://www.manganext.org/
    \
E^D

ShiojiPrince

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2008, 04:12:00 PM »
Okay.  So perhaps I may be the only person on here who lives in the general Louisiana area but I have to ask...is anybody going to MechaCon or A-Kon next year?  I'm doing a Shioji cosplay, and it looks like I'm the only one down here that's doing something from Excel Saga.  Also, my anime club down here mostly hates Excel Saga and it's been made a proverbial "rule #1 and #2" not to talk about it. 

Where is the love for that poor perverted genius, ne? :shiouji:

Randamo

• Special Municipal Force Daitenzin Member
  • You're not my Master Chief, and that's okay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2009, 03:45:48 AM »
Its been ages since anyones posted anything, so i'm gonna jump in.

So far i've been to only 2 'cons in Sydeny. im only 17, so someday i'll have more to say.
Animania and supernova.
Im telling you now, Animania was lame. It was a small room in a hotel filled with 10 stalls selling pretty common stuff and more than half of the people were asian teenagers dressed in fantasy cosplay. I admit they all were pretty cute/hot/fiyane or whatever you guys wanna call it. I came pretty late in the day, so i didn't get the pick of the good stuff. I had rushed over from an assessment at Maquarie Uni, so i guess i was just tired.
Supernova was better. It's a pop culture expo, so it had game stalls, star wars fans and more space. We had guest speakers and from memory they were: guy from supernatural, uhura from star trek and some dragonball z voice actor. My sis and I only saw 'cons on t.v., so it was a fun experience. Supernova was my first con and the first time supernova was held. I look forward to being there for each one.
Im going to the 2nd Supernova on the 27th, which is the same week i finish my study. I'm contemplating cosplaying as rei from evangelion - the school uniform.
Lets bring this topic back to life again, 'kay?

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2009, 09:39:09 AM »
El Tigre and I are going to Anime Expo 2009 this July. That's all I have to report. I can't wait, it'll be amazing.

Squeezit

• i'll show you a custom title...
  • Head of City Security
    • View Profile
    • stuff and things :)
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2009, 09:10:47 AM »
haha if any of you ever come to the Anime Con we have in Arizona, i work there (or did, i didnt bother last year) so i can get people in for free. depending on whos working there this year i still can.
i've never paid for one yet myself, and i always eat all the food in the staff room. haha only reason im even part of staff
>:/

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2009, 08:18:36 PM »
Just got back from AX 2009, here are a bunch of pictures:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=133279&id=1036980055&l=5be1c8901b

MincyMatsu

• Don't leave out the "!"
  • Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
  • On the internet, no one can hear you scream
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duke4.net
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2009, 04:19:41 AM »
Awesome Photos Poey..! Looks like it was a great time there...
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2009, 06:42:18 PM »
Wow, that's a good collection of photos you got, Poey.

I always say that the real draw to these cons is seeing the fantastic outfits cosplayers make. The attention to detail is sometimes stunning. Mad props go to the girls cosplaying as Yoko, Rena, and Rika. ^^

HA1L ILPALLAZZO

• I have returned
  • Spam Master
  • HA1L ILPALAZZO
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2009, 05:06:40 AM »
I didn't think that the stuff actually existed ...... SOVIET JUICE XD

great pics aswell poey  :ehail:

Randamo

• Special Municipal Force Daitenzin Member
  • You're not my Master Chief, and that's okay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2009, 05:18:35 PM »
finally got to supernova and had that strange feeling I should've had more money on me, where did it go?
Spent most money on figurines [scored some rare junko mizuno figs, didn't expect to see them there when the books aren't widely sold in stores. One online store had pure trance for $35. Then again, those Pinin guys are always overpriced].
I bought more gimmicky stuff because i realised i enjoy them more when I get home.
I don't even remember who the guests were other than Spike Spencer - got his signature on my Eva manga, as Shinji was on the cover.
The place was getting more packed, but i got to see a high school friend who was actually the only person i talk about anime before i got on this forum.
Ah, memories.

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2009, 07:26:38 PM »
Isn't really a convention, but I'm seeing Evangelion 1.0 at the Houston showing next week. :elhail:

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2009, 09:07:47 PM »
Isn't really a convention, but I'm seeing Evangelion 1.0 at the Houston showing next week. :elhail:

Great great movie, enjoy it!