Author Topic: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (When They Cry)  (Read 39546 times)

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
Re: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (When They Cry)
« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2008, 06:11:43 PM »
Just finished it.

Holy crap Higurashi was everything I was hoping for and more! AMAZING!

It certainly was amazing.  Lord Il, I know you are loathe to watch it online, but just go ahead.  You will like it enough to buy it when the damn box sets are released, so just think of that. 

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Mas

• Emergency food supply
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2008, 07:22:40 AM »
I didn't like the second season as much as the first one, but it was still pretty good. The animation was definitely better in the second season.

I wonder how many years it'll take them to translate the original Higurashi visual novels...

Rika-chama

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2009, 12:23:27 PM »
I didn't like the second season as much as the first one, but it was still pretty good. The animation was definitely better in the second season.

I wonder how many years it'll take them to translate the original Higurashi visual novels...

I think it depends on what you like that determines what season you like better.  Season one was full of mystery and violence while season two was full of revelations and Rika being awesome  :il_hahaha: I'm torn between the two really.  Season two was what really made Rika my favorite character but season one was much more violent.

Also anyone know when the third series is coming out?

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2009, 03:48:18 PM »
Also anyone know when the third series is coming out?
Might have some good news about that.

I did some checking around, eventually went to Studio Deen's site and was surprised at how soon it may happen. The third installment to the series is called "Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei" which is listed as an OVA (I'm sure you already knew that much. :e_wink:). The release of Rei starts as early as next month.

exckilla

• ACROSS SUPER SECRET COMMANDER
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2009, 02:50:32 PM »
If they brought this series out in the uk then I may consider buying it

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2009, 10:18:52 AM »
I watch the series for Keiichi, Ooishi, and Akasaka.  Meaning that I like Kai a lot more than season 1. ;)

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2009, 10:31:47 AM »
Oishi definitely kicked ass.

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2009, 10:39:59 AM »
Oishi definitely kicked ass.
And Akasaka showed that one guy a real punch. :il_hahaha:

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2009, 10:46:09 AM »
Haha that's right, he really did...

Mr Crispy

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2009, 09:00:07 AM »
So... Since the first three episodes of the Umineko no naku koro ni VN have been fan translated (with the blessing of 07th Expansion, no less), has anyone read it?

It's like Higurashi, only the main character is pretty much Phoenix Wright. And sort of the opposite (in terms of setting/motifs/themes/goal/etc.)

Basically, 18 people (members of a wealthy family and their servants) are trapped on a private island by a typhoon during a meeting to decide how to divide up the inheritance of the family's wealth, and find themselves being murdered one by one. The goal of the story is to figure out the culprit and whether the reason for the murders is an inheritance dispute or a gruesome human sacrifice ritual orchestrated by the patriarch of the family to resurrect the Golden Witch Beatrice who is rumored by other family members to have granted him immense wealth in a "deal with the devil" type scenario.

Which is sort of oversimplifying things, since there's a lot of plot twists, misdirection, and mind screwing going on as it plays off of your expectations from earlier episodes (including Higurashi) and does something unexpected instead. Or the characters bring up theories that you might think of and analyze the situation themselves only for something else happening that shoots it down.

Episode 1 was kind of boring except for a few places since it is mostly setup and character introduction, but episodes 2 and 3 were pretty consistently crazy throughout and I'd probably rank them alongside my favorite Higurashi chapters.

Mas

• Emergency food supply
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2009, 04:43:15 AM »
So... Since the first three episodes of the Umineko no naku koro ni VN have been fan translated (with the blessing of 07th Expansion, no less), has anyone read it?

Not yet, but I will soon. And yeah, Ryukishi07's letter to the English fans was adorable.

Also,

http://sonozakifutagotachi.blogspot.com/

Onikakushi is finally finished.

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2009, 11:59:22 PM »
I saw the first 2 episodes of Rei today. AMAZING. God, I remember why I love the show so much again. Now I'm going to be killing myself seeing the rest of them as they come out.

Squeezit

• i'll show you a custom title...
  • Head of City Security
    • View Profile
    • stuff and things :)
« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2009, 12:38:08 AM »
wait a minute, so is the new season they were making such a big deal over creating?
and it doesnt have any of the original characters?
im sure it'll be good, but thats still disappointing, :(
>:/

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2009, 01:13:38 AM »
Huh? Higurashi no blah blah Rei?

What's disappointing about it? Yeah it has the same characters, and so far it's more absolute brilliance assuming you've seen the first two seasons.

Squirrellord

• ?????????????
  • Emergency food supply
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 04, 2009, 11:27:03 PM »
I think he meant Umineko not being a direct sequel to Higurashi, since it's new people.
I'm an editor of The Witch Hunt (the group doing the novels), so trust me, don't think that it doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Higurashi... it actually has quite a lot to do with it. I don't want to spoil anything, but imagine that Higurashi is a series in a box... and your view point was from inside that box. Umineko is the viewpoint from outside the box.
Ryuukishi07 is building his own myths, world, and history in the When They Cry series, and Umineko only helps flesh it all out. You won't get anything direct, but Umineko will help you better understand Higurashi.

The anime just started too, so make sure to pick it up :D Though I'd advise against watching GG/Coal's subs... they're pretty inaccurate when it comes to names and important points. Wait for the "Sea Cats" group, who should be releasing episode one soon (their main translator was away on vacation this week)