Author Topic: Chit Chat thread  (Read 99935 times)

Mas

• Emergency food supply
    • View Profile
Chit Chat thread
« on: March 07, 2009, 11:20:34 AM »
I'm surprised this thread didn't already exist. ?3?

So, how about a thread to just talk about anything? A thread for topics that don't really need their own separate threads, but are not as random as the stuff posted in the "random random" thread.

For example, to tell everyone what you did today, or what you're going to do tomorrow, or just say hello to everyone. You know, just regular chatting.

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Chit Chat thread
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 01:55:08 PM »
I've been really freakin' busy lately. I need a break.

E^D Crow

• Rev. Fr. Big Orange Nose Grabber, ACROSS chaplain
  • Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 07:42:08 PM »
I am enjoying Hakutsuru saké, which is very tasty, and extremely smooth (i.e. no harsh alcohol taste).  A few other sakés I have enjoyed are Kaguyahime, Horin, and two different types of Bunraku (one with actual gold leaf, like Goldschläger).

I try to only buy imported (from Japan, obviously) saké.  I have tried some domestic sakés, but they weren't as smooth, or just tasted off, somehow.  I feel that saké is much tastier then grape wines, which I do enjoy, but saké has an earthy nuttiness that grape wines can't achieve.

E^D

P.S.  Asahi, in the (very) large can, is imported from Japan, and has quite a different taste then the Asahi  (bottled) 6-pack, which is brewed in Canada.  It must be something about the water...  The large can has almost a whiskey-like flavor, while the Canadian version just tastes like any old beer.

MincyMatsu

• Don't leave out the "!"
  • Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
  • On the internet, no one can hear you scream
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duke4.net
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 11:45:34 PM »
I just got up, ugh, i need stuff to do... I hate just sitting here till it gets late...

At least i got candy...
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 01:53:04 PM »
I am enjoying Hakutsuru saké, which is very tasty, and extremely smooth (i.e. no harsh alcohol taste).  A few other sakés I have enjoyed are Kaguyahime, Horin, and two different types of Bunraku (one with actual gold leaf, like Goldschläger).

I try to only buy imported (from Japan, obviously) saké.  I have tried some domestic sakés, but they weren't as smooth, or just tasted off, somehow.  I feel that saké is much tastier then grape wines, which I do enjoy, but saké has an earthy nuttiness that grape wines can't achieve.

E^D

P.S.  Asahi, in the (very) large can, is imported from Japan, and has quite a different taste then the Asahi  (bottled) 6-pack, which is brewed in Canada.  It must be something about the water...  The large can has almost a whiskey-like flavor, while the Canadian version just tastes like any old beer.
Just wanted to say thank you for this info. Must admit I don't don't know a lot about which type of saké is better than the other. I bought some here before @$10 a bottle (don't know the name unfortunately) and wasn't impressed with the taste. I always figured there'd have to be a better quality available.

heh.. But ten bucks a bottle was kinda cheap - I couldn't expect much anyways. ^^;

exckilla

• ACROSS SUPER SECRET COMMANDER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 02:39:44 PM »
I prefer smirnoff vodka personally to unwind, especially the blue

E^D Crow

• Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 06:50:17 PM »
Just wanted to say thank you for this info. Must admit I don't don't know a lot about which type of saké is better than the other. I bought some here before @$10 a bottle (don't know the name unfortunately) and wasn't impressed with the taste. I always figured there'd have to be a better quality available.

heh.. But ten bucks a bottle was kinda cheap - I couldn't expect much anyways. ^^;

The three I mentioned (Hakutsuru, Kaguyahime, Horin, and Bunraku Dress Bottle & Bunraku Junmai Ginjyo [<-totally looks like a Dragon Quest slime!]), I can assure you, are all quite tasty, but are relatively more expensive.  Kaguyahime, and the two Bunraku are kind of small, and are about US $16 - $20.  The Horin was a large bottle, but about US $35, while the Hakutsuru is 24 oz. for about US $15, the best value for taste and price.  I've only recently learned to appreciate the subtle qualities of saké.  I try to stay away from the unfiltered type, and always check to see if it is imported.  I had some half-way decent saké made in California, but it's just not the same.

I like it cold!

E^D
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 07:09:25 PM by E^D Crow »

HA1L ILPALLAZZO

• I have returned
  • Spam Master
  • HA1L ILPALAZZO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 12:04:37 PM »
hmm sounds interesting. I would like to try them out. I have been drinking a type from asda which is £5.58 and isn't as smooth as I orignally thought. I recntly bought some at the sushi bar which is nicer. oh by the way does any of these taste better hot or cold as some Sake is served warm while others are cold

E^D Crow

• Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 02:36:44 PM »
hmm sounds interesting. I would like to try them out. I have been drinking a type from asda which is £5.58 and isn't as smooth as I orignally thought. I recntly bought some at the sushi bar which is nicer. oh by the way does any of these taste better hot or cold as some Sake is served warm while others are cold
I haven't tried any of them warm; I have only ever drank them cold.  I'm relatively new to drinking saké, so I have no idea which ones would be better warm or cold.  They were all very good cold.  The two Bunraku were nice, but the other three are truly delicious, especially Kaguyahime-that one was exceptionally tasty.

It seems like a matter of personal taste, with a few exceptions:
Sake is a versatile beverage enjoyed at a range of serving temperatures. With the exception of namazake, namachozo-shu and certain premium sakes which must be served chilled or over ice, many sake varieties may be served chilled, room temperature or warmed.

Kan
Warmed sake, or kan, is a common choice in the cooler months. When heated, the fullness of body becomes more pronounced. However care must be taken to avoid overheating which can effect the perception of taste. In general, it is recommended to serve kan sake at
40-50°C (104-122°F)
Taken from the Gekkeikan Japan website.

I'm always looking for saké I have never seen before.

E^D

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 05:29:42 PM »
I've been laid up with bronchitis for the past week, and I am rushing to finish my computer work so I at least have some income from that, plus my school work has been a pain to keep up on, especially when I have to go grubbing around for one of my lungs.

On the topic of Japanese things, I am really happy that our little city of about 50,000 got TWO Japanese restaurants last year, and the one, Fuji, is really good. Shogun, on the other hand, could learn something about how to run a business. But oh, Fuji, great stuff - Hibachi tables for live cooking and show, or just quiet boothes, soothing atmosphere, and delicious food. What a sushi selection, their tempura is incredible, and they have so many other specialties - their Bento box dinners are probably the best value of all, they come in these nice black laquer partitioned boxes with teriyaki or negimaki, rice, sushi, tempura, shrimp, and such, and frankly for what you get the price is actually quite reasonable. I can get a Don Buri (rice with a kind of omelette layered on top with sliced meat and covered with a teriyaki type sauce) for all of $7.50.

And... the sake. Ah, my first taste of real, Japanese sake. First, I had a largish ceramic bottle of hot sake, which is very mild and smooth. The, another time, I had a Sake Bomb :D. They half-fill a mug with beer, lay two chopsticks on top of it, and balance a sake cup on them, and then they count down and it the table, knocking the sticks away and drop the sake in, then you chug. Good, fun party drink. My favorite place in town, easily.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 08:43:56 PM »
I'm not sure if I've ever been to a Japanese restaurant...

Squeezit

• i'll show you a custom title...
  • Head of City Security
    • View Profile
    • stuff and things :)
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 12:31:39 AM »
if you ever come to arizona, the best japanese resteraunt is on power and main in mesa, called sakuras.... sooooo damned good
>:/

E^D Crow

• Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 10:30:59 PM »
There is a sushi place right near my job that is just AWESOME!

They have 44 different kinds of specialty rolls.

Sure, you can't always get the fancy stuff, but this guy knows his art, and the prices aren't bad at all.

Every time I eat lunch there, they give me something for free.  Every time!

Meaningless plug:
Park Avenue Sushi and Sushimi, 254 Park Ave. E. Rutherford, NJ 07073

E^D

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 12:03:40 PM »
We've got the best pizza ever here in Austin.  Srsly, if you're ever in Texas, stop by Milto's Pizza Pub/Greek Restaurant.  Best shit ever.

E^D Crow

• Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 03:57:29 PM »
We've got the best pizza ever here in Austin.  Srsly, if you're ever in Texas, stop by Milto's Pizza Pub/Greek Restaurant.  Best shit ever.
I believe you, but I'm going to have to take umbrage with that statement.

Great pizza?  I live in New Jersey, only a few miles from New York City.

'Nuff said.

E^D