Author Topic: The Shin Megami Tensei Series  (Read 8579 times)

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
Re: The Shin Megami Tensei Series
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 06:29:19 PM »
Play Devil Summoner if you like gameplay that's actually fun.

That is all.

Mad Hatteress

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 02:12:33 PM »
^ Whew, I'm glad you still feel that way! I always get scared that when I really encourage someone to buy a game they'll end up not liking it and be pissed at me.

Pamplemousse

• That Office Lady!
  • Toilet Cleaner
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 08:17:19 PM »
Recently bought the original Persona (port, of course) for PSP. Is tres fun and the plot is good, even if the gameplay does venture into the realm of tedious occasionally.
Hat, Victor in Devil Summoner 2 is hilarious.
KUZUNOHAAAAAAA!
I, Pamplemousse, do not believe in alligators.

Mad Hatteress

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 07:12:18 AM »
Hat, Victor in Devil Summoner 2 is hilarious.
KUZUNOHAAAAAAA!

XD I'm so glad you got to see that! I love how if you refuse to give him the first gem, but if you have the one he wants in your possession, he's like "Woops! My hand slipped! You saw it! It was an accident!"

Mad Hatteress

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2009, 03:14:30 PM »
Oh no... So many things, so little money. Atlus has just announced SMT: Strange Journey for the DS. Oh! But it comes out seven days before my birthday so I can hope for it as a present.

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2009, 03:53:33 PM »
Played more Devil Summoner. Really good game, but hard for me to get into at the moment. With the amount of work I've gotten lately, pick-up-and-play games such as Borderlands, Left 4 Dead, and Counter-Strike are all I can really afford to devote time to. Fortunately, I get almost all of next week off from school, so I'll try to play it a lot then.

Anyway, this weekend, my friend and I are gonna' gather 'round a huge plate of tamales and start a new game of Persona 3. On Hard difficulty; a real mode for real men. Our character shall be named Awesome McBeastly and his life goal will be to sleep with all the gay kids at the high school. And Fuuka.

Mad Hatteress

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2009, 04:00:37 PM »
Played more Devil Summoner. Really good game, but hard for me to get into at the moment. With the amount of work I've gotten lately, pick-up-and-play games such as Borderlands, Left 4 Dead, and Counter-Strike are all I can really afford to devote time to. Fortunately, I get almost all of next week off from school, so I'll try to play it a lot then.

Awesome. How far are you now? Don't forget to do the Alice side quest when you have the change; if you fuse her right you get some great skills and she has no weaknesses. She might not be too useful like Belial or Lilith when you get to the final round but for random battles she's great.

Anyway, this weekend, my friend and I are gonna' gather 'round a huge plate of tamales and start a new game of Persona 3. On Hard difficulty; a real mode for real men. Our character shall be named Awesome McBeastly and his life goal will be to sleep with all the gay kids at the high school. And Fuuka.

Ugh... Good luck with that! With the inability to control your teammates combined with how stupid they are that'll be tough. XD I was so bummed you couldn't shag Bebe.

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2009, 04:05:53 PM »
Awesome. How far are you now? Don't forget to do the Alice side quest when you have the change; if you fuse her right you get some great skills and she has no weaknesses. She might not be too useful like Belial or Lilith when you get to the final round but for random battles she's great.
Can't quite tell. Only about 5 or so hours as of right now. How long is it?

And I'll be sure to do that side quest.

Ugh... Good luck with that! With the inability to control your teammates combined with how stupid they are that'll be tough. XD
Yeah, we might have to chicken out and go back to Normal mode. D:
I was so bummed you couldn't shag Bebe.
Aww, you can't? :laugh:

Mad Hatteress

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2009, 04:08:48 PM »
Can't quite tell. Only about 5 or so hours as of right now. How long is it?

It's been ages since I played... Umm, if you make the most of the game and do all the quests I'd guess no more than thirty hours. Otherwise I'd guess around twenty-threeish.

Mad Hatteress

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2009, 06:34:00 PM »
Wow. I FINALLY beat Digital Devil Saga. It's a darn good thing there's a sequel or I'd be pissed about the ending. "Are you ready for the real world?", were they in some sort of game? That's an odd message to end with along with Sera laying on the floor naked and covered with wires. I went through all that and the characters seem worse off than they were before!

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2009, 09:41:30 AM »
We bitched out of the idea I posted earlier. I am, however, playing Persona 2 again. I'm gonna' beat it this time. Beat it like a bad stepchild who can't speak proper English.

LETSPOSITIVETHINKINGLETSPOSITIVETHINKINGLETSPOSITIVETHINKINGLETSPOSITIVETHINKINGLETSPOSITIVETHINKINGLETSPOSITIVETHINKINGLETSPOSITIVETHINKINGLETSPOSITIVETHINKINGLETSPOSITIVETHINKINGLETSPOSITIVETHINKINGLETSPOSITIVETHINKINGLETSPOSITIVETHINKINGLETSPOSITIVETHINKING

Mad Hatteress

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2009, 01:00:25 PM »
Played an hour of Digital Devil Saga 2 and LOVE it! Roland scares me, though, because he looks almost exactly like that scientist in Blood+; I keep expecting him to talk with an accent and offer me candy.

One thing that I'm a little mad about is that I found out after I selected Normal as the difficulty that you can only fight an optional boss on Hard mode so I'll have to save it for New Game +. I think I'll be fine since I actually beat Nocturne once on Nightmare mode and the Hard mode on DDS 1 was like Nocturne for pussies. Seriously, playing Nightmare on Nocturne is like bending over in the shower at a mens' prison; you're just asking to get ****ed. 

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2009, 04:38:06 PM »
I think I'd pass on that, I can barely handle The Answer in P3... :-[

Mad Hatteress

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2009, 01:51:27 PM »
It's truly an ordeal but it's actually much more fun than The Answer; that just pissed me off. "Oh. So that's what happened. We'll just do nothing. Oh! Holy ****! A monster!" The end.

Mad Hatteress

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2009, 07:11:08 PM »
Oh wow... I don't know if I can finish Digital Devil Saga 2...

THAR BE SPOILERS AHEAD!

So it turns out your characters were creations that Sera made up as company based on people she met in the "Real" world which you are now in to keep herself company while she's sealed up since all she's really being used for is to talk to "God".

So the first dreary thing that happens is that you learn people, whether they be infant or old in age, are being thrown into grinders and used to feed the people of the Karma Society since they're infected with the demon virus.

Next something odd and somewhat funny occurs when an old woman, in response to hearing her colleague say she wants Sera killed and dissected, asks how she can be so cruel and states Sera was made of her "...own sperm and egg." WTF, right? Well, in a conversation you learn that woman is a hermaphrodite.

Then the deaths happen. Wanting to protect Sera, Heat charges at Serph, the main character. Serph does nothing and get Heat's arm straight through his chest before grabbing him and they both fall into a pit. Killing off the MC? Not cool.

Next, a big scary monster is after you. Roland goes after it and Argilla goes to help. Argilla finds the monster munching on Roland and attacks. She had no hope. The two die but take out the monster with it.

So now I'm down to three characters, one of which I neglected, so I had to majorly grind. Next it turns out Serph is alive and well, but you learn a really sad truth: The person Sera based him after was a total dick. It turns out real Serph manipulated Sera with fake kindness to get her to do his bidding, not caring that the experiments were killing her. While the real Heat tried to stop it Sera hears the real Serph tell him that Sera is of no importance and if she died they'd just get another child and has the real Argilla shoot and kill the real Heat. Needless to say, Sera is devastated, and that's why the world is so messed up because her sadness upset "God".

You with me so far? I didn't think so.

So now I'm near the end and it turns out Sera is going to die soon due to all the experiments done on her. It's really upsetting to see so many characters you've gotten attached to bite the dust and I'm not sure what sort of ending I'm in for.