Author Topic: The Shin Megami Tensei Series  (Read 8580 times)

Mad Hatteress

The Shin Megami Tensei Series
« on: July 24, 2009, 05:30:30 PM »
OK, I know that Foggle has played the Persona games up to 3 but what about everyone else? If not you need to go to eBay right now 'cause you don't know what you're missing. Yes, Nocturne can be uber expensive but it's worth it for such an amazing game. Not only is it like Pokemon for adults but Dante's in it!

For those of you familiar with it I'd love to get some discussions going; I'm sure Foggle would agree that although Persona 3 is really, really good the ending is incredibly depressing. P4s, thankfully, isn't that devistating but it's bittersweet.

Out of the whole series Devil Summoner: Radiou Kuzunoha Vs. the Soulless Army is by far my favorite. I love that it takes a break from a dark storyline to offer up some very comedic moments and fun characters. I liked Victor's character design the moment I saw him in the manual but I ended up adoring him when you got to know his personality. It just makes me want to play Soul Hackers even more, though. :(

I've had it forever but still I need to beat Digital Devil Saga; I'm so close but I refuse to go to the end boss until I defeat the final optional one which is incredibly hard. Bleh.

So... Yeah... Hopefully more of you are fans so this doesn't end up just taking up space  :il_hahaha:

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
Re: The Shin Megami Tensei Series
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 08:03:57 PM »
These games are damn hard. Couple that with the fact that I'm bad at video games in general and that I'm not a JRPG kinda' guy, this series has made me rage on countless occasion. :laugh:

But yeah, I love me some SMT. I haven't played Devil Summoner, but I probably should. ;)

I'm sure Foggle would agree that although Persona 3 is really, really good the ending is incredibly depressing.
But what about The Answ--*is shot*

Mad Hatteress

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 02:37:09 PM »
Yeah, Nocturne had me crying out with frustration, especially since if you chose the True Demon Ending there's no save points in Amala. I've never tried the game on "Nightmare" difficulty because Normal is cruel enough! I grinded 80 hours just for a two minuet ending!

:excel_fall: You haven't played Devil Summoner! Go an buy it! NOW!

I didn't like the answer; there's no chart to save your demons and I was hoping you could make two choices at the end. I also wanted the option to go back in time and save Shinji! WAAAAAAAAAAAH! At least P3 was enhanced; I loved dating Elizabeth!

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 02:55:37 PM »
I shall, I shall. Is the sequel any good?

Yeah, The Answer was pretty bad. Also, Shinji was awesome. Ken is such a bastard! >:(

Mad Hatteress

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 03:05:22 PM »
It's actually incredibly amazing how much the sequel was improved over the first game regarding the combat, demon fusion, ect. but it's a much darker story that really depressed me for reasons I can't say because it's a huge spoiler. I also disliked that the "chat with Victor" option was taken out since he said some pretty amusing things. I wonder if you could still get the special edition of the sequel with the plushy; that was one sexy package :il_hahaha:

E^D Crow

• Rev. Fr. Big Orange Nose Grabber, ACROSS chaplain
  • Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 12:03:03 PM »
I have Persona 3: FES, and Persona 4, both of which I have yet to finish.  ;^_^

They're both awesome, but I do kind of prefer 4, as 3 seemed a little more tedious with regard to the social links.

E^D

Mad Hatteress

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 01:37:46 PM »
Yeah, 4 is loads better. I thought most of the characters in P3 were super annoying but I like most in 4, especially Kanji and Naoto. Good lord there's some funny scenes with Kanji! His dungeon is great and I still think it's funny how I was trying to get my friend into the series but the moment he heard Kanji say "Hey there, pussycat." he just said "I quit." and put down the controller.

Mad Hatteress

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 09:45:55 AM »
*Gags*

Oh, god; some dude cosplayed as Victor!

Pamplemousse

• That Office Lady!
  • Toilet Cleaner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 10:27:15 AM »
Heh, that cosplay was pretty sweet.
Awww maaan, Nocturne is hard to find? I just passed up buying a copy a few days ago for 14.99 'cause I'm frugal. I may just have to call that store and have them hold it...
I got hooked on the SMT series with P3. Then came P4, which may be my favorite so far, followed by Devil Summoner, which is pretty amazing. Then came P2 (borrowed from a friend), which I haven't finished because the graphics make me sad and the gameplay is kind of hard! I finished one dungeon at a higher-than-necessary level, then the next one immediately kicked my posterior. It's a good story, though... but the Joker thing made me giggle at first after the Dark Knight.

I'm excited for the PSP port of the original Persona game too! Maybe I'll catch the allusions in P2 now!

In regards to the Raiho plushie package of DS2, there are quite a few still floating around my local gamestops (though they're all in the back due to the beastly packaging) and I think they lowered the price to $35. ...Maybe.

Heh, P4 definitely has more likable characters. I started playing the Answer and all I could think is 'Wow, Yukari's being a hyper-bitch to Aegis'. Then I tried to replay the game itself and within minutes I was like, 'Daaaang, Yukari's doing it again.' Chie and Naoto definitely win over her.

...But it always struck me that Naoto looks startlingly like Raido. Maybe it's the hat... I mean, she goes on about her family's detective heritage and that always makes me laugh in a 'where-is-your-black-cat-then' kind of way.

I tried to get a friend into P4 too (I even agreed to read the Twilight books in return! I am a good friend, guys!) Perhaps it was a mistake to have her start a new game, because the introductory set-up is pretty long and my friend is pretty impatient. Teddy almost saved her, but I think the riding on a bike with Yosuke thing put her off. Le sigh.

I, Pamplemousse, do not believe in alligators.

Mad Hatteress

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 07:20:32 AM »
FOGGLE! Why aren't you gushing about Devil Summoner?!

...You're cheating on it with Borderlands, aren't you?! AREN'T YOU! JUST ADMIT IT!

EDIT: Oh, yeah! I forgot to mention that, if I manage to get all my homework done (my first class starts in about seven minuets, actually) I'm thinking about scanning a DS comic that I got off eBay. It's all in Japanese but the pictures are pretty XD. It centers around Mary but Victor's in there as well (jee, can you guess why I bought it?).
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 07:44:21 AM by Mad Hatteress »

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 08:40:29 AM »
FOGGLE! Why aren't you gushing about Devil Summoner?!

...You're cheating on it with Borderlands, aren't you?! AREN'T YOU! JUST ADMIT IT!
Doing either or both would be nice, but no. I haven't had time to play any vidya gaems lately except for, like, 3 hours of Left 4 Dead with my friend. :pedronooo:

Also, Borderlands isn't even out yet. ;)

Mad Hatteress

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 10:37:32 AM »
Gawd that took forever! I decided to take pics of the comic since it's easier on the book. The quality isn't horrible, but... Anyways, I hope you'll enjoy it even though it's in Japanese. It stars Mary but features super special sexy appearances by Victor. I just wish I could find comics that have him when he's a weirdo living in someone's basement and leaps at the chance to molest androids.

http://s620.photobucket.com/albums/tt289/Mad_Hatteress/Devil%20Summoner%20Comic/

Squeezit

• i'll show you a custom title...
  • Head of City Security
    • View Profile
    • stuff and things :)
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 09:19:26 PM »
i have persona 3 and 4
>:/

Uncreativity

• Solarian Princess
  • Dept of City Security
  • KANIMISO!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 10:49:30 AM »
I played Persona 3 up to the end, but I quit Megaten then and there. If I'm going to pump more than 100 hours into something, I want it to be a game where the battle system is actually fun, like Disgaea or Pokemon.

Mad Hatteress

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 10:55:58 AM »
I played Persona 3 up to the end, but I quit Megaten then and there. If I'm going to pump more than 100 hours into something, I want it to be a game where the battle system is actually fun, like Disgaea or Pokemon.

Ouch! Don't judge the whole series from a really bad decision not to allow the players to control the AI in the third! They change that in Persona 4, and the characters aren't as annoying, so I'd suggest at least renting it if you can.

THe first Devil Summoner has the demon doing it's own thing, but it isn't that bad, and the second lets you give it commands even though it's real time. You really should give the series another chance. Oh, and if you think P3 is bad, I dare you to play Nocturne...