Author Topic: English Excel Saga Volume 22  (Read 25725 times)

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
Re: English Excel Saga Volume 22
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2011, 11:20:04 PM »
If you're not worried about spoilers,
CHECK OUT THIS "GREAT" REVIEW!

It’s been a long while since I’ve read Excel Saga. Twelve volumes to be exact.
Honestly, aside from the Excel double plot, I couldn’t figure out what was happening.

OH, GEE, REALLY? He skipped 12 volumes and expected to understand what was going on? Wowlol

SWamP

• Unpaid Translator
  • Toilet Cleaner
  • In your house, cooking your pets.
    • View Profile
    • Efexsagá
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2011, 12:21:37 PM »

Ok. 10 was your last volume, and skipped directly to 22...

If I didn’t know any better, I’d say the series hasn’t seen much development since last I read.

I stopped to read here.

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2011, 01:46:40 PM »
If you're not worried about spoilers,
CHECK OUT THIS "GREAT" REVIEW!

Honestly, aside from the Excel double plot, I couldn’t figure out what was happening.

OH, GEE, REALLY? He skipped 12 volumes and expected to understand what was going on? Wowlol
............................................________
....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
.............................,.-"..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................":,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:"........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
...,,,___.\`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`

..12 volumes.... Wut??!?
:e_confused:

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2011, 06:42:20 PM »
Hey guys! I wrote my own review! Please tell me what you think. :)

----------

It’s been some time since I last read any Excel Saga. I believe at one point I quickly glanced at the back of the box of the second disc of the anime when it was first released by ADV, so that would have been in 2002.

Anyway, The Excel Saga is the latest arc in the Dragon Ball series. However, unlike the original series, it is written and drawn by Shinichi Koshi instead of Ken Akamatsu. This is evident right away because the female characters actually look like women.

Anyway, The Excel Saga picks up right where The Cell Saga left off. It is about an Italian man living in Fukushima who plans to travel across the ocean to New York and conquer the world from there (hence why his organization is called Across; clever, right?).

Anyway, this is my review of Volume 22. To start off, I have several beefs with this series. First of all, Viz advertises this as an action manga (as to be expected from a DBZ spin-off), but it’s actually more focused on dialogue. This would be okay if it wasn’t so unrealistic. This is my second point. For one thing, how does the blue-haired girl make her hair go all spirally like that? Also, why is her hair purple in all the fan-art I’ve seen when it is distinctly blue on the cover? Also, I have seen a picture of her with two penises. Is this canon?

The other characters make equally as little sense. Why are there two of the blonde chick? One of them is funny and the other one isn’t. I like the funny one more because she is funny and also cuter. Also, why does Hi-Hat keep vomiting blood? That happened to me one time when I ate a raw steak. Maybe she shouldn’t eat raw steaks. There is also a man named Cowboybebop who has a big mustache and likes to bribe government officials. Is he Democrat or Republican? I think Republicans probably have bigger mustaches most of the time but Democrats are more likely to give out bribes. Maybe he is Green Party. Also, why does the scientist stare at all the little girls in the park? Maybe his daughter is missing and he is looking for her. One time my daughter wandered off in H-E-B and it took me 5 minutes to find her. She was in the frozen food aisle holding a Totino’s pizza. I put it back and bought Red Baron instead. It was good and did not make me vomit blood.

My biggest problem with this series is that it’s not very accessible to new readers. They could do a better job explaining what happened last time instead of expecting me to spend money on the previous books. I am a busy man you know and I do not have time to read every manga out there! That’s like when I skip 3 or 4 volumes of Berserk at a time because I know that no matter where I jump in I can see blood and tits. I like blood and tits because I am a hetero man who likes hetero things. I would fuck Cascka but I would not fuck Elgarlrla because she has two penises.

Overall I would give this book 2 purple mustaches out of 5 because I did not want to have sex with any of the characters and not enough people died.

Randamo

• Special Municipal Force Daitenzin Member
  • You're not my Master Chief, and that's okay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2011, 04:03:39 PM »
I tried to make a comment but it doesn't seem to work for me. DAM FACEBOOK. But here's the comment I wrote. Maybe then I'd get a logical response from you guys, I have no hopes for him:

"Even if you're familiar with Excel Saga"?
If it were me, along with many of the other fans who love this series, I would recommend it ONLY to people who've read every issue! Otherwise, you have people making generalised statements about how it doesn't feel like anything's changed or whatever...
If you HAD been reading, you'd know that ever since vol 14, there's been a massive change in the series, I won't go into too much detail to avoid spoiling it for YOU, but I'm sure people up to volume 22 would know what I mean. But for the past couple of volumes, the series HAD returned to a bit of it's old dynamic, but with a feeling of confrontation and "stuff's gonna come down!" based on what happened in the past volumes.
I feel like maybe I'm not making much sense, but that's Excel Saga... for now. People following this have felt themselves get sucked in and desperate for explainations. But definitely in a good way! Every new volume signals nearer to the end and our understanding grows each time. It's sad to know that you've completely missed the point of Excel Saga, from what I can tell by your review. But it could be that E.S just isn't your style. Perhaps you want your series to be a bit more obvious, something you can just skip 12 volumes and never feel lost!
Sorry if I come across a bit rude, but your review has insulted a real E.S fan.

This guy sucks. I read his Hetalia review and he mistook Germany for Russia, that or he mistook Prussia for a girl, complete with bouncing breasts.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 07:18:07 PM by Randamo »

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2011, 05:36:50 PM »
Yeah, the review is pretty insulting to Excel Saga fans, especially considering usually only one review is ever published for each book (if that!). People who don't find his reasoning asinine are likely to avoid buying the books because they'll assume it's like a black-and-white and non-animated version of the anime.

My review was way better, too.

Randamo

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2011, 07:21:05 PM »
yes it was Foggle, I always enjoy your reviews. even though they sound so wrong.

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2011, 09:27:45 AM »
No worries folks, I will be posting my own review to mispeled.net as soon as I can get the manga in my little mitts, and I don't think there's any doubt mine will be considerably more comprehensive and understanding of the subject matter  

:e_confused: I tried reading that "review" and just couldn't get through it. Wow, you miss half the series, can't figure anything out, and then assume there has been no development. So beyond retarded.

EDIT: Ok, I got through it now. I almost posted my aggravation with the dumbass, but decided that offering even that attention was unwarranted, as the review was utter garbage to begin with. You cannot miss OVER HALF A SERIES and write a decent review of it, ever. This guy is a moron, plain and simple.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 09:36:46 AM by ElricJC »

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2011, 09:33:16 AM »
:e_confused: I tried reading that "review" and just couldn't get through it.
Which honestly speaks volumes about how terrible it is, considering it's about half a MS Word page long.

Lord Il

• Spam Master
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2011, 07:55:25 PM »
Here's something else I just noticed:
Regarding the credits for the photo used of vol.22 for that.... review..

Excel Saga
Photo: ©1997 Rokdo Koshi
:icon_rolleyes:
What is this I don't even... :e_confused:

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2011, 08:20:55 PM »

Excel Saga
Holy freakin' LOL! I can't believe I never noticed that!

Lord Il

• Spam Master
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2011, 02:23:16 PM »

Excel Saga
Holy freakin' LOL! I can't believe I never noticed that!
Doing a little research on the 1997 date proved informative to me. What it means is the copyright date of first publication of the title itself. It just looked a bit misleading to me at first. That's probably correct. ^^;;

However, Rikdo's name is indeed misspelled no matter what romanization is used (Rikdo Koshi, Rikudou Koushi).
:lordilvryannoyed:

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2011, 09:31:42 PM »
I think the biggest question I have about that review is:
HOW'D HE GET A FOCKIN' COPY IN EARLY(ish) MARCH? I highly doubt Viz gives out pre-release review copies of Excel Saga, considering the only reviews I've ever seen for the manga aside from this one and IGN's take on #17 are of the first few volumes.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 09:33:42 PM by Foggle »

Randamo

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2011, 10:24:10 PM »
that's a really good point. I thought of it myself but brushed it off because he's a reviewer.

I sorta doubt how legitimate the review is though. I mean, why did he get an early release when he's kind of a sucky reviewer.

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2011, 11:16:16 PM »
No kidding. Tiny ass review, badly written, with no knowledge of the subject matter. Real tater-twat.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move