Poll

Whos with me

Yay
13 (92.9%)
Nay
1 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: December 01, 2006, 12:31:54 PM

Author Topic: What book are you reading at the moment? not manga.  (Read 18913 times)

Pointless

• Metal Tiger
  • Unemployed
  • Inadvertent Point
    • View Profile
    • NIL
Re: What book are you reading at the moment? not manga.
« Reply #120 on: May 08, 2010, 08:41:04 PM »
I'm not reading any non-manga fiction at the moment, but reading about economics and the recent financial meltdown is pretty close!

FREEFALL - America, Free Markets, And The Sinking of The World Economy, by Joseph E. Stiglitz

Our Minds exist only in virtual reality.

HA1L ILPALLAZZO

• I have returned
  • Spam Master
  • HA1L ILPALAZZO
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 01, 2010, 03:30:14 PM »
I'm reading this at the moment

followed by this

I don't know whether I'll sleep tonight or not

Randamo

• Special Municipal Force Daitenzin Member
  • You're not my Master Chief, and that's okay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 16, 2010, 01:59:17 AM »
read some oscar wilde. The picture of Dorian Gray was very good.
Currently reading Pride and Prejudice. Suprised to find out Darcy's more of a jerk than the one movie i saw, which was Bride and Prejudice, with a loosely related plot. That just makes me like him, since books in that time period seem so, i don't know, sappy/innocent?

exckilla

• ACROSS SUPER SECRET COMMANDER
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 16, 2010, 08:39:58 AM »
Read some pre clone wars star wars book I got for my birthday about 2 years ago, my opinion crap, arrgh the only thing good about it was it did introduce some bloke who makes an appearance in the post new hope books, admiral thrawn or thawn, not to sure on the spelling.

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 16, 2010, 11:44:14 AM »
I've been reading through the Dresden Files, by Jim Butcher. Very good series for fans of fantasy, suspense, and detective stories. He's a huge gamer geek, and a lot of that humor comes through his books, but he's also just a very good story teller, and Harry Dresden is a great character. There are some flaws in the early books, mistakes common to young writers, but it wouldn't be as popular as it is without a strong following. Currently reading book V, Death Masks.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

PlanR

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 19, 2010, 05:53:48 PM »
Didn't know there is a topic like that.

Well, it took several months for me to get throug the first two books of Robert Musil's Der Mann ohne Eigenschaften, "the man with no qualities". I thought I'm done with the difficult stuff and read Lovecraft's horror stories. Even if I don't like that kind of stuff, I admit he is good... but anyway, I realized that's not my kind of thing and here I am, reading Toistoi's War and Peace. Hate the frensh parts, but beside that it's going on pretty well.
Plus, I can brag about reading another piece of so called great literature  :lordilsmile:
it is no small art to sleep: for that purpose you must keep awake all day, Thus Spoke Zarathustra.

incarta

• Flying through the air like a tomahawk missle
  • Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 17, 2010, 09:07:31 AM »
I'm ploughing through all five parts of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, as I didn't read them all the way through when I was a teenager. Hardly a challenging read, which is a good thing really as I don't have a huge amount of time anyway.

Can anyone reccommend some good Terry Pratchett books? I keep meaning to try out his stuff and never get around to it.
SIGNATURE!!!!!!!! ....YEAH!

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 17, 2010, 10:34:29 AM »
Hell yeah, Pratchett is great, and as for which ones to read, I suppose it depends on what series sounds most interesting. His best works involve the City Watch (Guards! Guards!, Night Watch, Feet of Clay, with the best so far being Thud!), then my personal favorite Rincewind and his follies (The Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic, Sourcery, Eric, Interesting Times, and The Last Continent). His first book, The Colour of Magic, is pretty weak, but he definitely improves quickly after that. Also the series involving the witches is pretty good (Witches Abroad, Lords and Ladies, a few others) and several stand-alone works that don't feature returning characters (Small Gods was really funny, for instance). Otherwise, check out Good Omens, which he wrote in cooperation with Neil Gaiman. One reviewer said that it read like the Book of Revelations if it had been written by Monty Python. Good shit.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Pointless

• Metal Tiger
  • Unemployed
  • Inadvertent Point
    • View Profile
    • NIL
« Reply #128 on: August 17, 2010, 07:44:43 PM »
^ I absolutely agree!

A really good summary is at wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld

Our Minds exist only in virtual reality.

Randamo

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 17, 2010, 11:33:13 PM »
'far from the Madding crowd' and 'the adventures of sherlock holmes'.

incarta

• Flying through the air like a tomahawk missle
  • Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 18, 2010, 09:53:35 AM »
Cheers people. Very helpful  :e_pleased:

Did anyone see that show the BBC put on about him and his troubles with Alzheimer's? It was sad.
SIGNATURE!!!!!!!! ....YEAH!

Inkwolf

• Social Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 19, 2010, 07:03:51 PM »
Cheers people. Very helpful  :e_pleased:

Did anyone see that show the BBC put on about him and his troubles with Alzheimer's? It was sad.

Didn't see it, but it is sad.  I've read all his books, I think. It would be great to be met with Terry Pratchett's version of the Grim Reaper when I die. My favorite Discworld books featured him and/or his daughter Susan. Reaper man was great, and Soul Music, and Hogfather. They even made a reasonably decent movie of Hogfather.

By the way, I find it hard to read a Pratchett book without wanting to underline every great quotation. :il_hahaha:

Sad also to read a page back that Robert Asprin is dead.  I practically grew up on Myth Adventures and Phule's Company.

On a brighter note, I am currently reading the newest book in the Temeraire series. (I forget the title)  It's a series that starts with 'His Majesty's Dragon', and is a sort of alternate history of the Napoleonic war era, except that they have dragons. So, something like a cross between Horatio Hornblower and the Pern books! The main characters are Captain Laurence and his dragon, Temeraire.  Excellent reading, by Naomi Novik.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 05:46:26 PM by Inkwolf »

DEFENSE!! DEFENSE!!___OFFENSE!! OFFENSE!!

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 19, 2010, 10:33:32 PM »
My God, I had no idea he has Alzheimer's! That is awful news, I can't believe it :(.

exckilla

• ACROSS SUPER SECRET COMMANDER
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 02, 2010, 10:25:46 AM »
books about railways existed before beeching had his way with them.

Randamo

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 14, 2010, 09:44:19 PM »
Alice's adventures in wonderland and through the looking glass. Wonderful sense of wit in these books even though they're intended for children. It's nice to see kids not being talked down to.

Finished Jane Eyre.