Author Topic: The Meloncholy of Haruhi Suzumiya  (Read 64199 times)

E^D Crow

• Rev. Fr. Big Orange Nose Grabber, ACROSS chaplain
  • Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
Re: The Meloncholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
« Reply #195 on: November 27, 2007, 10:03:00 PM »
I wish the novels were in english or would be translated into english to read. But guess with more episodes coming out it will be alright. But I always like reading the source material to see if I missed anything.
I don't know how official this is, but it's 12:43 AM, and I just finished reading the Baka-Tsuki translation of the first novel.

http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/index.php?title=Suzumiya_Haruhi

What kind of lightless and grey Sealed Reality have I been living in, to have just only heard of this series now?

I would go on to read the rest of the novels tonight...if I didn't have to wake up in the morning, so I can go to work and make money, so I can hunt down and purchase the limited editon DVDs and the box set.

E^D

skycloud

• Author
  • Dept of City Security
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 27, 2007, 11:33:58 PM »
Lol wait tell u get to volume 4, which I feel is the best storyline of the series =D

I have to find a time in the near future to go back and restore the world.
                 -Kyon

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 04, 2007, 04:37:16 PM »
Okay, I'll probably get lynched for this post, but here goes.

I recently finished this series.  Yeah, it was funny, the animation was good, the story was... different, and the characters were interesting.  But, I will not lie, I found the theme song to be completely terrible and extremely annoying.  Other than the OP, I thought it was pretty good, and worthy of a 7, or even possibly an 8, out of 10.  But, honestly, what's so great about the show?  I watched the whole thing, laughing occasionally, but could never really understand what people find so amazing about it.

Of course, my "tastes" in anime are quite peculiar compared to most of this forum's users (and even the internet in general).  I thought that Lucky Star was boring, unfunny trash that got by on cuteness alone, and that Elfen Lied was nothing more than over-hyped, glorified guro lolicon with uninteresting characters and a cookie-cutter story.

I'm not saying this to bash any of the shows, or their respective fans, I'm simply stating my opinion.  However, if anyone would like to tell me why The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is so great, I'd be glad to hear your opinion.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 04:38:49 PM by Foggle »

Soske

• Head of City Security
  • Legend Killer
    • View Profile
    • Soske Reviews
« Reply #198 on: December 04, 2007, 05:39:21 PM »

I recently finished this series.  Yeah, it was funny, the animation was good, the story was... different, and the characters were interesting.  But, I will not lie, I found the theme song to be completely terrible and extremely annoying.  Other than the OP, I thought it was pretty good, and worthy of a 7, or even possibly an 8, out of 10.  But, honestly, what's so great about the show?  I watched the whole thing, laughing occasionally, but could never really understand what people find so amazing about it.

Of course, my "tastes" in anime are quite peculiar compared to most of this forum's users (and even the internet in general).  I thought that Lucky Star was boring, unfunny trash that got by on cuteness alone, and that Elfen Lied was nothing more than over-hyped, glorified guro lolicon with uninteresting characters and a cookie-cutter story.

I'm not saying this to bash any of the shows, or their respective fans, I'm simply stating my opinion.  However, if anyone would like to tell me why The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is so great, I'd be glad to hear your opinion.

Read the novels, then you may understand.

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 04, 2007, 05:44:11 PM »

Read the novels, then you may understand.
Are the novels better or something?  If they are, I will indeed read them.

skycloud

• Author
  • Dept of City Security
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 04, 2007, 08:10:44 PM »
The novels are extremly good. Also the anime itself just had many good qualities you dont find in anime. I can understand why you wouldnt like the song, since your not a J-pop fan. But all songs for the series were done by the real voice actor for the series, which is pretty damn impressive and amazing (ive yet to find any other anime that does that. Well there is Family Guy, but thats not anime). Also the quality of the art was constant and very well done. Their was a solid storyline. They used a unique style to broadcast the show. I mean it was just a good anime all in all. Also Haruhi Suzumiya is a person that gives people a little hope. By that I mean she keeps dreams alive that we all long give up on life and people see that and rekindle that lost hope a little. She gives people a chance to dream again even if its just a little bit. But yeah read the novels

-Kyon

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 04, 2007, 08:14:15 PM »
The novels are extremly good. Also the anime itself just had many good qualities you dont find in anime. I can understand why you wouldnt like the song, since your not a J-pop fan. But all songs for the series were done by the real voice actor for the series, which is pretty damn impressive and amazing (ive yet to find any other anime that does that. Well there is Family Guy, but thats not anime). Also the quality of the art was constant and very well done. Their was a solid storyline. They used a unique style to broadcast the show. I mean it was just a good anime all in all. Also Haruhi Suzumiya is a person that gives people a little hope. By that I mean she keeps dreams alive that we all long give up on life and people see that and rekindle that lost hope a little. She gives people a chance to dream again even if its just a little bit. But yeah read the novels
Take note, I wasn't stating that I didn't like the series, just that I didn't think it was worth as much praise as it received.

But since you say that the novels are better, I'll definitely get around to reading them soon. ^__^

skycloud

• Author
  • Dept of City Security
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 04, 2007, 08:20:54 PM »
It will take some time to read em all. You might find it boring at first because the anime really did follow the first book and its short stories well.

-Kyon

E^D Crow

• Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 13, 2007, 12:33:11 PM »
After scouring eBay, I purchased all four Limited Editions, for a whole $5 less then they would have cost had I bought them at Best Buy.  I am very glad I bought the Limited Editions, especially for the SOS arm-band.  I want to use the t-shirt transfers, but I know after a few washes, they will look terrible.  I will frame the pillowcases, as I would never use such a thing for its intended purpose.  I actually thought about putting on the yellow hair band/ribbon, but I get uncomfortable in drag, after what happened last time...

So far, I have watched the original televised order DVDs.  This is the first time that I have watched an animé in Japanese first (doing something new and differently is fitting for this series, really).  I thoroughly enjoyed it, and am looking forward to watching it again in English, in order.

I eagerly anticipate the continuation of this series, and will one day learn all the steps to the Hare Hare Yukai dance.  Does anyone know of a site that has it broken-down into the actual steps and motions?

E^D

Soske

• Head of City Security
  • Legend Killer
    • View Profile
    • Soske Reviews
« Reply #204 on: December 13, 2007, 05:39:34 PM »
I eagerly anticipate the continuation of this series, and will one day learn all the steps to the Hare Hare Yukai dance.  Does anyone know of a site that has it broken-down into the actual steps and motions?

E^D

http://www.sos-dan.com/index.php?q=dance&s=2cc514469ce13d01971919b5bd07f338

E^D Crow

• Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 14, 2007, 12:14:34 PM »
http://www.sos-dan.com/index.php?q=dance&s=2cc514469ce13d01971919b5bd07f338
Thank you!

I have not checked it out, but apparently there is the full, uninterrupted version of the dance on the Vol. 4 DVD, as an extra.

E^D

exckilla

• ACROSS SUPER SECRET COMMANDER
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 17, 2008, 01:54:51 PM »
Gets released in the uk in april, yeah, what I have seen on youtube it looks really funny.

E^D Crow

• Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 22, 2008, 09:30:14 PM »
I had Hare Hare Yukai stuck in my head for a week.

Every day, at some random point, for a whole week.

I was glad when it was over.

E^d

Soske

• Head of City Security
  • Legend Killer
    • View Profile
    • Soske Reviews
« Reply #208 on: February 23, 2008, 10:47:36 AM »

Every day, at some random point, for a whole week.

I was glad when it was over.

E^d

Only a week?  It's been in my head since it's creation. (doesn't help that it's my ringtone >.>)

Rika-chama

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 23, 2008, 11:01:17 AM »
Are the novels better or something?  If they are, I will indeed read them.

Since the novels aren't released in english (right?) where might I go about reading them?

I have so many version of Hare Hare Yukai on my Ipod it's not even funny  :il_hahaha:

Ni-paa~