Author Topic: What's the last anime you've seen?  (Read 150396 times)

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
Re: What's the last anime you've seen?
« Reply #540 on: June 18, 2009, 07:25:59 AM »
Just finished watching all 38 eps of Zero no Tsukaima (Familiar of Zero). Admittedly the premise is as old as romantic-comedy anime, and the character archetypes are glaringly obvious, but I must say it's a very endearing series. The characters are all likable, even Louise, the female lead, who is without a doubt an archetypal Tsundere, but despite these obvious features the show is really good. It's comedy by and large, based on a world more than superficially related to Western Europe during the Middle Ages, but it has some very serious subject matter, such as with the Agnes arc in season 2. I would recommend it to anyone who is a fan of fantasy comedy/romantic-comedy/ecchi-humor (which is rife through the series - more fan service than you can shake a wand at, but where that usually turns me off I actually didn't mind it here. It's probably the humorous aspect that keeps it from being overly absurd/gratuitous. If you want to see it, I don't think it is available in English yet (it was one of those Geneon titles that got lost in the shuffle during its collapse, so maybe someone else will pick it up), but you can watch the eps online http://www.instantz.net/anime/Zero_No_Tsukaima.html.

I would also likely lump it into the Harem archetype, but unlike most Harem comedies, I actually like the male lead, Hiraga Saito. He has guts, he's not a milquetoast or a whiny, pathetic dweeb (though he is a pervert sometimes), but he certainly does seem like a Masochist (who would tolerate getting whipped that much and still come back for more, really :p).

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Randamo

• Special Municipal Force Daitenzin Member
  • You're not my Master Chief, and that's okay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: June 19, 2009, 09:13:03 PM »
saw the beginning ep of urusei yatsura. the beginning work of rumiko takashi, so the art and story's not as good as she gets. I do enjoy the hero's perviness. I love seeing him incline his head to check out girls with that big grin on his face.

I admit that i like anime perverts. That's why I liked genshiken so much. And did you hear that a new genshiken manga will come out? It's called return of the otaku.

E^D Crow

• Rev. Fr. Big Orange Nose Grabber, ACROSS chaplain
  • Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: June 20, 2009, 08:22:57 PM »
In the early episodes of Last Exile, upon a new friend's recommendation.

WOW!  It is beautiful, and steam-punk, and full of wild air-ship battles.

I am enjoying it a lot, and I'm only up to episode 9 of 26.  There's nothing cheesy at all, and each episode can evoke a wide range of emotions.  If you haven't seen it, you're missing out on something wonderful.

E^D

exckilla

• ACROSS SUPER SECRET COMMANDER
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: June 22, 2009, 12:12:27 PM »
Finally got to see claymore well at least the first five episodes not bad, plan to watch volume 2 tonight, I just hate it in the UK that you have to wait a while for decent anime to come out.  (i'd be happy if they brought out a fully uncut urotsukidoji out)

Randamo

• View Profile
« Reply #544 on: June 24, 2009, 05:26:22 PM »
Checked out all the episodes of Golden Boy. Loved the english dub of Kintaro but at

first i wasn't too impressed. Liked the 1st and 3rd episodes, but i didn't like the

perverted girls. Especially motorbike girl. :e_confused:

exckilla

• View Profile
« Reply #545 on: June 25, 2009, 01:34:00 PM »
Watched the crappy db gt only movie last night, I kind a forgot I had it in my collection, talk about crap, and to be honest even the gt series was shit, I did like the super 17 saga, but that was about it.

E^D Crow

• Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: June 25, 2009, 02:23:40 PM »
I started watching Mushi-shi again, this time with my friend Paul.  I have only watched it subtitled, so this is like a whole new experience.  Paul is enjoying very much it so far.  It's nice to watch a slower-paced animé for a change.

I still love the opening song...  I sing it out loud, at work, because some of the rooms have great acoustics, or machinery running very loudly so it drowns out my awful singing voice. X^D

E^D

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #547 on: June 25, 2009, 04:36:43 PM »
Checked out all the episodes of Golden Boy. Loved the english dub of Kintaro but at

first i wasn't too impressed. Liked the 1st and 3rd episodes, but i didn't like the

perverted girls. Especially motorbike girl. :e_confused:
Ah, memories... :il_hahaha:

Goldenboy was something truly special. Not many episodes but very memorable with how funny it was.

Watched the crappy db gt only movie last night, I kind a forgot I had it in my collection, talk about crap, and to be honest even the gt series was shit, I did like the super 17 saga, but that was about it.
Seems that many people prefer to think that GT never existed. It was a mistake to continue Dragonball without Toriyama at the helm.

I still love the opening song...  I sing it out loud, at work, because some of the rooms have great acoustics, or machinery running very loudly so it drowns out my awful singing voice. X^D

E^D
Sometimes I do the very same thing at work with catchy opening and ending songs which get stuck in my head.
Hell, it makes the day go by nicer. ^^

exckilla

• View Profile
« Reply #548 on: June 28, 2009, 02:27:10 PM »
I do agree gt should never have been made, and I am also sure I heard a rumour that another dragonball series was going to be made, don't no if that's true though.  Sat through 75 minutes of gory animated fun las6 night, watching dead space downfall

Randamo

• View Profile
« Reply #549 on: June 29, 2009, 11:33:51 PM »
got peacemaker anime. Great stuff, i love samurai style/action anime. It doesn't hurt that the character designs are easy to look at. In fact, I wonder what demographic this show is aimed at.

Are there any animes out there with Yankis (juvenile delinquents)? Cause i love that style too.

Inkwolf

• Social Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: June 30, 2009, 07:26:36 AM »
saw the beginning ep of urusei yatsura. the beginning work of rumiko takashi, so the art and story's not as good as she gets. I do enjoy the hero's perviness. I love seeing him incline his head to check out girls with that big grin on his face.

The thing most of the bad reviews of Trouble Chocolate say is it's a rip-off of Urusei Yatsura, so I'm a little curious abotu it.  Saw part of one episode on You-tube, bt it didn't really grab me...

I admit that i like anime perverts. That's why I liked genshiken so much. And did you hear that a new genshiken manga will come out? It's called return of the otaku.

Sweet!!!!

I finished Angelic Layer, which was cute and fun.  It had that sports-anime way of dragging you along to see the hero win. I ordinarily abhor advertisement animes on principle, though.

And I finally watched all of Chevalier D'Eon, which ended most impressively and recovered from its most egregious anachronism.  Spoiler--
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

About the only major criticism I can make is that the characters act a whole lot more Japanese than French, including having a whole concept of the meaning of Knighthood which resembles Bushido more than anything European, where Knighthood was, by the 1700's, merely the lowest level of nobility and meant little else. And was certainly not a license to kill. :D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 07:32:37 AM by Inkwolf »

DEFENSE!! DEFENSE!!___OFFENSE!! OFFENSE!!

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #551 on: June 30, 2009, 02:49:50 PM »
I do agree gt should never have been made, and I am also sure I heard a rumour that another dragonball series was going to be made, don't no if that's true though. 
There's a (sort of) new one now called Dragon Ball Kai. It's currently up to 13 episodes. The downside is that it's just a re-telling of Dragon Ball Z in a shorter format. The animation doesn't look updated. I'm not even sure why they made this. O_o

Someone told me that Toriyama was going to make some new Dragon Ball related material. Don't know if this is true.

Are there any animes out there with Yankis (juvenile delinquents)? Cause i love that style too.
One that immediately came to mind was School Rumble (only because I've been watching it recently).
Harima Kenji is the school delinquent whose reputation makes fellow students cringe in fear. However, Harima's greatest weakness is a girl in his class he's greatly in love with and is scared to death to tell her and gets into many awkward and funny situations when he tries. To complicate things, the girl in question is infatuated over another (very unlikely!) guy who is completely and totally oblivious to her affections.

Be warned that it's in a romance genre, but it's not overly sappy and the comedy aspect is what makes this series shine. I'm almost done the first season and it's been a fun watch.

exckilla

• View Profile
« Reply #552 on: July 01, 2009, 12:58:39 PM »
Thanks for dbz info, bought myself laputa castle in sky, decent anime classic.

E^D Crow

• Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: July 01, 2009, 04:52:15 PM »

Well, Cromarti High School is a parody of juvinile delinquents.

They act bad-ass and tough, but all they do is talk, or expouse inner monologues, that have nothing to do with the current situation.

It's very weird, but totally worth it.  Really funny stuff, and it's a fairly short series.

E^D

Randamo

• View Profile
« Reply #554 on: July 01, 2009, 05:11:29 PM »
i keep telling myself to get cromartie high. i'll check that out. Cause i already have school rumble. Are there plans to release more than the second season?

Also, just watched first ep of Revolutionary girl Utena. Don't get it really, but I love 90's anime style, so i'll stick with it.
Forgot to mention I finished Peacemaker.On the whole, decent art style, great voice actors, particulary tetsunosuke - who did his tortured screams very convincingly. (I'm talking about the Japanese Dub of course)
About the ending, great that Soji Okita didn't die in this version, I was expecting it during the last couple eps, and they played it up a bit, making you think he would. Now it brings a smile to my face to watch Ouran High when they did the samurai cosplay, as Okita's voice actor is Kaworu.
I have to say, I really hate how Suzu gets screwed over in the end, it was a real School Days ending (you know what I mean) and since he was sorta suicidal before meeting his sensei, I was worried he'd try again (since he's my favourite character). But now i need the manga to continue the story.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 05:22:53 PM by randamonian »