Author Topic: What's the last anime you've seen?  (Read 141672 times)

Randamo

• Special Municipal Force Daitenzin Member
  • You're not my Master Chief, and that's okay.
    • View Profile
Re: What's the last anime you've seen?
« Reply #735 on: March 13, 2010, 04:06:10 PM »
More than halfway through Welcome to the NHK. You know, I thought I'd like it more than I do. It's got that realism thing, and paranoia worked for Itoshiki-sensei, but I just don't get into it. I'm dissapointed, but maybe the last episodes will win me back.

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #736 on: March 13, 2010, 04:48:04 PM »
I'm dissapointed, but maybe the last episodes will win me back.
Only my opinion but.. er....... I...

I won't say anything. heh...

(And in saying that, I've already said too much! Whoops!)

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: March 13, 2010, 08:23:55 PM »
I didn't care for the NHK anime at all. The manga is better, but frankly even it got far too emo after a while, but I still have the full series, and it definitely had its great "WTF!?" moments.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #738 on: March 13, 2010, 09:25:53 PM »
I love NHK. Very funny and real.

exckilla

• ACROSS SUPER SECRET COMMANDER
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: March 16, 2010, 03:41:06 PM »
I am annoyed I have no money until the end of the month and bloody hmv has part 2 of death note relight grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

exckilla

• View Profile
« Reply #740 on: March 21, 2010, 05:37:41 AM »
Bought myself Death Note relight 2, very good, but after seeing it I feel I need to watch episodes 9 to 37.

Randamo

• View Profile
« Reply #741 on: March 31, 2010, 02:43:01 AM »
well, i finished NHK. Oh, I don't know... I always hated Yamazaki's ending, but it didn't annoy me as much - i suppose it was better for him in a way. Otaku influences are pretty damaging, especially when he grows up. especially in Japan. I still like him the most because he acts alot like myself. You know, that self-condfident meanness about him. (yes, i realise how self involved that sounds). Someone said that they wondered what would've happened to Misaki if she wasn't cute - and he's got a point.

Moving along, I know this isn't anime, but I saw Final Fantasy Advent Children. I know some people luuuv the movie and I thought it would be a good CG-type movie (I never really watch those), but I though it was horrible! For one thing, I know it's a shallow point, but those character designs are all wrong. They just look too generically asiany and they look younger for some reason. And I know so many fangirls that would throw things at me for saying Cloud looks boring and not very attractive, plus for some reason they're trying to make us forget he had massively spiky hair. Also, Sephiroth. Why put him on the cover if he only appears for 7 minutes? They're playing with my Sephiroth-loving fangirl emotions by doing that. I can't look at Tifa's tiny wrists and believe that she's supposedly very strong. Make her look more muscular please, otherwise it just drives me crazy. Last annoyance: Kudaj. Stop prancing around and angling your head perfectly to broadcast your pretty boy haircut! On the whole I like the 1997 versions of the characters, they had personality. Only Rufus Shinra looks any better.

Okay, sorry, rant over. It was restrained, believe me.

exckilla

• View Profile
« Reply #742 on: March 31, 2010, 03:49:01 PM »
I bought myself death note volume 5

exckilla

• View Profile
« Reply #743 on: April 04, 2010, 02:52:16 PM »
I bohgt myself death note volume 4, I certainly preferred volume 5 to relight volume 2 which was poor and confusing if you did not know what was going on in the deathnote story.

Taste

• just slips away
  • Emergency food supply
  • just slips away
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: April 15, 2010, 06:22:31 AM »
I guess the last anime i've seen completely was code geass, though i kinda wish i hadn't. I should really watch my copy of angelic layer soon. i bought the damn thing 4 years ago for $10 and i STILL have not even watched it. :icon_rolleyes:

exckilla

• View Profile
« Reply #745 on: April 15, 2010, 02:09:17 PM »
I almost considered buying code geaes but trying to decide if the grand total of 50 quid is worth it for the 2 boxsets.

E^D Crow

• Rev. Fr. Big Orange Nose Grabber, ACROSS chaplain
  • Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: April 17, 2010, 11:39:21 AM »
During the time spent away from this forum, I have watched a lot of animé:

Shigurui: Death Frenzy - It was AWFUL!  Holy shit, it is so, so bad...I don't think there's a word to describe just how terrible it was.  None of the characters are likeable, there is gore for gore's sake in between random, brightly-lit shots of insects (oh yeah, let's not forget about all the violent misogyny, and a certain sexual act that no-one should be able to perform on themselves).  Everything about it is bad, from the intense build-up of the first episode, to the complete let-down of the last.  It's one long flashback, with absolutely no payoff.

Soul Eater - I'm only up to part 2, but it's bad-ass awesome.  The character designs have weird, cut-off looking noses, but otherwise, it's a lot of fun.

Darker Than Black - Violence done right.  I really enjoyed the whole thing.  Some of the prices the contractors have to pay are weird!

Strike Witches - If you can get past the uncomfortableness of young girls running(flying) around in their (not)underwear, it's pretty good.

Hell Girl - I'm up to episode 7, and am loving it.  These bastards that get sent to hell deserve it, but the price is makes the whole thing more bitter than sweet.  I did not expect any happy endings, and I got what I expected.

D.Gray-man - Finally geting to it.  Aside from the *extremely slow* pace of the story arcs (too many episodes dedicated to just introducing Miranda, and even more for Crory), it's almost as good as the manga.

Rin: Daughters Of Mnemosyne - It's an animé-version of a Cinemax movie, but succeeds in walking the fine line between cheese and seriousness.  Could have been a little better, but could have been ALOT worse.

E^D

exckilla

• View Profile
« Reply #747 on: April 17, 2010, 11:51:12 AM »
At the moment I am starting to watch all episodes of death note just started so up to episode 3 another 36 to go, I really love this series especially the baatle of minds between light and L.

Randamo

• View Profile
« Reply #748 on: April 24, 2010, 01:24:29 AM »
I finally finished Eureka Seven. I'll keep to myself what I liked about it and go straight to the bad points, for if I knew them to begin with, I wouldn't watch this. I kept trying to figure out the weird science terms & nicknames and trying to figure out the plot, but I really couldn't be bothered. Add in suprisingly violent scenes and nonsensical plot points! The show moved too slowly and the ending.... OH, THE ENDING?! What does it all mean??laj5?n?gs///fhnfsbfl larg

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: April 25, 2010, 06:13:10 AM »
Recently finished Wagaya no Oinarisama (Our Home's Fox Deity in English) and liked it, though like so many animes it had a rushed ending that seemed like they just ran out of money to produce it. Which, as with many other animes as well, is likely the case. My guess is that it was meant to be at least 36 episodes and maybe 48, but only got to 24. I wonder if more will be produced, but it's hard to say.

It's basically a "Slice of Life" show with themes similar to Oh My Goddess in that most of the action revolves around the goings of the Kami/Gods and the two human main characters. Unlike Oh My Goddess though the male lead is only perceived to be involved with the two girls living with him - one a Shinto shrine maiden, and the other being Tenko Kuugen, the guardian kitsune hengeyokai that agreed to protect them. Also Kuugen is so old he/she forgot what gender he/she was and can interchangeably morph into male or female forms, but seems to prefer her female form (especially whenever she begs for anything - something Noboru, the main lead, notes). Noboru, in fact, is entirely oblivious to female attention, though he isn't a milquetoast character so much. Just very clueless about the fairer sex. In fact, one of the human characters fulfills that role, obsessing over Noboru but constantly making up ridiculous situations with Noboru in her head to the point of total non-action.

Pretty cute, I'd give it 3.5/5 (85%). Good for its normally hackneyed genre while including some fairly original concepts and possessing likable characters, but the pacing and the ending is a little off. But as I said, that is more likely to do with outside forces than having anything to do with the light novels on which the anime is based. 

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move