Author Topic: Recommendation  (Read 2237 times)

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Recommendation
« on: May 02, 2007, 03:22:21 PM »
I'm out of the loop for anime nowadays, so I need a good recommendation. I'm looking for something more or less serious - not a strictly comedy anime. Also, nothing which is basically for kids/has that very junior-high appeal (IE wolf rain or whatever, basically all of the BS adult swim anime type of stuff). I want "legit" drama (well explained and tied together, not sort of thrown together for appeal -- again getting back to the 'for kids' thing). Humor is fine, but I'm not really looking for something totally random without much depth (*cough* Excel Saga style *coughnooffenseexcelsagayou'regreat*)

Basically I want Elfen Lied, which has been blowing me away the past couple weeks. Also, Full Metal Alchemist would be a good choice (it has amazing story and some twists to it). As far as content/genre - fantasy is great, as long as it isn't like .hack or something where it's just a bunch of (seemingly)kids running around in funny outfits. More modern style is great as well, like Ghost in the Shell, but perhaps less CG/future stuff (although if it's as well-done as GitS I won't mind much). Cowboy Bebop would be perfect as well, but I already own all of that. Actually, I forgot that I have it! Wow, I'm going to go watch that right now, that sounds great... Evangelion is also perfect. I LIKE REAL DEPTH!

Also, not something too long! I don't have money, I'm in college!

Thanks!

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 03:50:39 PM »
I haven't seen this yet, but I've been hearing lots of good stuff about Black Lagoon lately which may be just what the doctor ordered (It's not a kiddie anime). I'm intrigued enough to give this series a spin myself.

Mr Crispy made a post about it here...

R Kenshin

• Bio Scientist
  • Toilet Cleaner
    • View Profile
Recommendation
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 12:55:04 PM »
I recommend Gankutsuou-The count of monte Cristo. It is an anime adaption of the classic tale and actually goes off the story so its not like you are just watching a repeat. The creators really make this their own and this could be the nice twist you are looking for. You can read a review about it at animenewsnetwork.com.
I have also heard alot of hype for Black Lagoon saying that it will be the next bebop. I was turnt off by the initial cover of the dvd thinking that it was just another "fanservice" flix but it may be good.
Roar, Roar, fight the power

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Recommendation
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 03:57:24 PM »
Thanks a bunch, I'll be checking this stuff out sometime soon.