Author Topic: Ohayocon  (Read 5796 times)

Carl Horn

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
Ohayocon
« on: November 15, 2009, 04:13:05 PM »
It looks like I'll be at Ohayocon at the end of January (2010: the year we make contact). I was thinking of perhaps trying to organize some sort of Excel Saga panel, both for current fans, and to promote it to new people...?

I could do such things as show some previews from Vol. 21 (Vol. 20 will be out by then, of course) and give away some copies of recent volumes. I would be hoping for some members of the forum to speak about the series, especially if they could do so in cosplay ^_^

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
Re: Ohayocon
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 04:38:12 PM »
Where is Ohayocon, even?

Also, this is the only reason I'd ever go to a convention. But you'll never see me cosplay. It wouldn't just be a cold day in Hell, someone would have shoved the entire thing in a frozen meat locker.

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 05:21:43 PM »
Yeah, where is it? I likely can't make it due to my financial situation (I'll be in the throes of post-grad school job hunting), but if anything would draw me to a con it would be this.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

MincyMatsu

• Don't leave out the "!"
  • Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
  • On the internet, no one can hear you scream
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duke4.net
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 05:37:04 PM »
Too bad all this stuff always happens a few 60000+ of kilometers away from where i live...
Would be great if someone from here would go there though, i'd love to see a photo of that as well... :D
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

Pamplemousse

• That Office Lady!
  • Toilet Cleaner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 10:31:43 PM »
I have to admit, this made my day (and I had quite a fun day!) I'm already planning on going to Ohayocon and now Senor Horn will be there and wants to do an Excel Saga panel?!? Brilliant! I'll be cosplaying Excel Saga (Miwa, unless I magically learn to sew) and two other friends of mine will be going as Sumiyoshi and Nabeshin. I'll have to coerce convince more people to go as ES characters now!
Where is Ohayocon, even?
Ohayocon is in Columbus, Ohio. (http://www.ohayocon.org/)
YOU SHOULD ALL GO AND HAVE CRAZY FUN WITH PAMPLE!  :ehail:
...I'm actually going to have to start making definite plans about rooms and such now, I suppose...
Foggle, to tell the truth, I wouldn't cosplay any other fandom but Excel Saga. Miwa's just a fun character, even if she does sometimes look like a classy mad scientist skank skunk.
Oh dear, all these typos today!
And Elric, you totally need a break before the lameness of a job search in This Economy (I always feel like that phrase needs to be capitalized). ...A fun graduation party, at least!
Micki, I wish you lived closer. We would have SO MANY SHENANIGANS at this con. :D

In conclusion: I'll be so happy if the panel happens; it's a great idea!
I, Pamplemousse, do not believe in alligators.

MincyMatsu

• Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 03:20:01 AM »
That's awesome ..! Remember to take lot's of photos..!

Mad Hatteress

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 06:53:33 AM »
Man... I'd love to go! If I could, and was able to find someone to make a costume for me, I'd want to be Ropponmatsu II.

MincyMatsu

• Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 07:28:12 AM »
For that, i'd actually pay for a trip over there, maybe ... :shiouji:

Mad Hatteress

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 08:40:48 AM »
For that, i'd actually pay for a trip over there, maybe ... :shiouji:

That smiley just makes that even more creepy...

Oh! And congrats! Your next post will number 2,000!

MincyMatsu

• Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 08:54:28 AM »
What ..?! I don't want 2000 posts ..!

Wait a minute...

:e_confused:

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 01:16:42 PM »
That's awesome ..! Remember to take lot's of photos..!
Yes, photos, photos, and even MORE photos, Pample!

:ehail: Represent! :ehail: Be sure to give us a shameless plug or seventeen. ^^

.. ahh.. Sadly, Ohayocon's a little out of my neck of the woods. T_T

Pamplemousse

• That Office Lady!
  • Toilet Cleaner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 04:43:56 PM »
Oh my goodness, I love your signature, Lord Il!
It's too bad it's too far for ya!
 Haaaat, it's only an 11 hour drive from the mall of america, which you mentioned in chat once XD
Yes, I mapquest'd it... SUPERSTALKER powers, activate!
And strangely enough, I have a skirt that would work for Ropponmatsu 2
I think I may get a friend to dress as her, but getting her into pink thigh highs and a skirt will certainly prove difficult.
And making the wig would be ghastly... :O
I, Pamplemousse, do not believe in alligators.

Carl Horn

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 04:45:24 PM »
Something else I can do is bring some copies of Young King Ours magazine, so you can see the manga in its "natural habitat" ^_^

I guess there would be two main themes in the panel: 1.) Explaining why people should get into the manga, and 2.) Talking about the manga (and what's coming up...without too many spoilers ^_^) with people who are already into it.

I was thinking that for the first theme, it might be better if the other panelists (i.e., Pample and her crew) express their personal reasons and likes--i.e., what they want the ignorant masses to understand about Excel Saga. Maybe we can rig up a Skype connection so Dechan can overdub anything your friend dressed as Sumiyoshi says. If that proves impractical, just have him say the occasional "Whey-aye man."

One idea I have is to pick certain characters and scenes from the manga that you'd like to talk about. If you can let me know in advance what they are, I can put them into a slideshow, so we can project them as you talk. Especially if people are new to the series, we should have some visuals. Obviously, we'll want to promote the forum, too  :ehail:

I haven't gotten word from the convention yet about scheduling, but I'm guessing Saturday or Sunday (rather than Friday) would be most convenient for everyone? I don't think it's a holiday weekend...

I have to admit, this made my day (and I had quite a fun day!) I'm already planning on going to Ohayocon and now Senor Horn will be there and wants to do an Excel Saga panel?!? Brilliant! I'll be cosplaying Excel Saga (Miwa, unless I magically learn to sew) and two other friends of mine will be going as Sumiyoshi and Nabeshin. I'll have to coerce convince more people to go as ES characters now!
Where is Ohayocon, even?
Ohayocon is in Columbus, Ohio. (http://www.ohayocon.org/)
YOU SHOULD ALL GO AND HAVE CRAZY FUN WITH PAMPLE!  :ehail:
...I'm actually going to have to start making definite plans about rooms and such now, I suppose...
Foggle, to tell the truth, I wouldn't cosplay any other fandom but Excel Saga. Miwa's just a fun character, even if she does sometimes look like a classy mad scientist skank skunk.
Oh dear, all these typos today!
And Elric, you totally need a break before the lameness of a job search in This Economy (I always feel like that phrase needs to be capitalized). ...A fun graduation party, at least!
Micki, I wish you lived closer. We would have SO MANY SHENANIGANS at this con. :D

In conclusion: I'll be so happy if the panel happens; it's a great idea!

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 12:11:00 PM »
Oh my goodness, I love your signature, Lord Il!
*bows* Thank yas, ma'am. As strange as it may be, I actually made it a few years ago. lol!

It's too bad it's too far for ya!
Tell me about it.
I wouldn't mind going to a con in the states at all. Plus having an opportunity to meet even just one of you guys from the forum would be a real hoot. Unfortunately, distance always tends to be the enemy (I hear ya, Micki!) and with greater distance comes extra money for travel expenses..bah. And a hundred smackers is now needed for a passport these days too. ICK!! -_-

See, I really need to get my teleporter operational again. This could solve everything. :e_wink:

I got really lucky when I flew to Anime North in Toronto, Ont. a while back - seat sales are the greatest if you can get them!

Soske

• Head of City Security
  • Legend Killer
    • View Profile
    • Soske Reviews
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 10:09:43 PM »
I hate having to miss Ohayocon since I live so close, but it looks like I won't be going...again.