Author Topic: What's the last anime you've seen?  (Read 141245 times)

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: What's the last anime you've seen?
« Reply #360 on: July 30, 2008, 02:08:48 PM »
Haha, Fist of the North Star... classic.

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: July 30, 2008, 07:05:16 PM »
Well, I finished "Now and Then, Here and There."

Over all this proved to be an incredibly deep, powerful series - sometimes very hard to get through as you feel for the main characters, and the horror is very real.  For such a short series it has an appropriate ending, something very few anime are capable of pulling off.

The only thing that really nagged at me the whole time was Hamdo - it's no real spoiler, but this guy was nuckin futs, and what I was left wondering was "why was anyone, especially Abelia, so keen on following this waste of skin?"  Suspension of disbelief was difficult in that area, and there were a few other small things that made me go "hmmm," but the major point of the show was clear.  A little heavy-handed in parts, but the character's struggles were believable, even if Shu (the main character) was just too good, but he served his purpose in the allegory that this series obviously represents.  The "other speak" of allegory is heavy here, nearly to the point of polemic, but considering what the argument is against - the destructiveness and amorality of war - it can be forgiven that foible.  Hard to say if I would buy it - it is a very hard watch, but it is definitely a series worth seeing, and now having seen the English dub and the original with subs, I must say the English dub matches up almost perfectly, so no real flaw there.

Story: 9.5/10 A (super solid)
Characters: 9.5/10 A (highly engrossing)
Animation: 8.3/10 B- (super basic, even amateurish, but the color palette works very well, and the scenery is very atmospheric)
Music: 8.5/10 B (passable, but unexceptional)
Dub:  9.2/10 A- (very close for the most part)

Total: 9/10 A -

Highly recommended, but not for the overly light or faint of heart, nor for anyone too stuck on animation quality, but the mature story is worth it.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #362 on: July 31, 2008, 12:23:58 AM »
That sounds like something I'd be really into.

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: July 31, 2008, 08:01:05 PM »
I thought it might be, and then there is Gurren Lagann.

I'm up to ep. 6, and before when I said it isn't quite FLCL - well, I think there is more parity there than I originally thought.  It's kinda like your typical Big-Robo show had a kid with FLCL, it's really screwed up, but I must admit it's pretty fun.  The art is a little uneven (as in the quality from one episode to the next is rather variable - ep. 4 looks a little more crude than say ep. 1-3, and quality is restored a bit later, but it seems to be spotty).  The action is frenetic and often hard to follow, but it's definitely poking some fun at the typical "Combining Robot" theme, and being just generally odd.  Also, episode 6 is hilarious and weird.  I'll likely keep watching, mostly because it looks like there is some kind of plot.  However if the artwork and action becomes even more uneven and frantic, it'll likely give me a migraine.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

exckilla

• ACROSS SUPER SECRET COMMANDER
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 02, 2008, 03:13:14 PM »
By the way there is only 6 episodes of fclc or however the hell you pronouce it, bought my self the melancholy of suzumiya haruhi volume 3, much better in english

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #365 on: August 02, 2008, 04:08:02 PM »
FLCL, Fooly Cooly, Furi Kuri

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 02, 2008, 10:26:09 PM »
By the way there is only 6 episodes of fclc or however the hell you pronouce it, bought my self the melancholy of suzumiya haruhi volume 3, much better in english

I didn't say FLCL had more than 6 eps, I'm talking about how Gurren Lagann is a blend of FLCL and Big-Robo anime.

Also, I am up tp ep. 22 or GL, and it is... different.  Ep. 7 really surprised me, and the whole thing took another big change at 17, and got kinda redonkulous, but I am still curious enough to finish it.  It's very odd though.

E^D Crow

• Rev. Fr. Big Orange Nose Grabber, ACROSS chaplain
  • Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 03, 2008, 12:33:10 PM »
I didn't say FLCL had more than 6 eps, I'm talking about how Gurren Lagann is a blend of FLCL and Big-Robo anime.

Also, I am up tp ep. 22 or GL, and it is... different.  Ep. 7 really surprised me, and the whole thing took another big change at 17, and got kinda redonkulous, but I am still curious enough to finish it.  It's very odd though.
I am going to wait for the dubbed DVDs to be released.  I have a friend who is legally blind, though he does have some vision.  While he can, and does, watch animé with me, there is no way he can read subtitles.  Being that he is one of my only friends that is willing to take a chance on an unknown animé, I have no problem waiting.

E^D

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 03, 2008, 12:49:37 PM »
Yeah, the discs I think are just now being released, and the dubbed version is playing on Sci-Fi Channel on Mondays, 10 pm CST.  I just decided to go on ahead, and apparently it is very popular in Japan - along Suzumiya lines - but it's very different is all I can say without giving anything away. 

Mr Crispy

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 04, 2008, 07:34:33 PM »
Watched the first season of Zero no Tsukaima today.

It's really disappointing how it ruined the plot of the novels, by cutting most of the plot and many of the action scenes in order to fit 5 novels worth of material into 13 episodes. (well, it covered the first novel in the first 6 episodes and parts of the next four novels in the last 7, to show how badly it got rushed).

Not to mention it got rid of the serious tone the novels have other than comedy storylines about Saito and Louise, made Saito seem gutless, and made Louise seem a lot more *****y and unreasonable by cutting out parts where she tries to act nice and correct her behavior combined with her appear to be overreacting over nothing because it watered down on the ecchi/suggestiveness of some scenes.

And I've heard that the second season of the anime is worse about mangling canon. :elcry:

HA1L ILPALLAZZO

• I have returned
  • Spam Master
  • HA1L ILPALAZZO
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 05, 2008, 01:58:36 PM »
I just keep watching school rumble XD does anyone know where I can get the soundtrack I love it

E^D Crow

• Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 24, 2008, 03:35:11 PM »
I've started watching Mezzo, an action/mystery series about the Danger Service Agency (DSA), a three-member company that only take on dangerous tasks, for a high price.  Mezzo is a lot of fun to watch, and the theme song is rockin'.  The DSA's main mode of transportation is a pink classic VW Beetle.  Apparently the show takes place sometime in the future, with cyborgs and other high tech.

I'm also watching Boogiepop Phantom, which is just really out there, and creepy.  It got me hooked as easily as when I first watched Higurashi/When They Cry.  At work I've been, randomly rasping "Boogiepop Phantom".  I like how there is always one scene in each episode that relates to the next episode.

E^D

galenow

• Across Star 1
  • "hey, hey, hey..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 24, 2008, 05:45:46 PM »
I just keep watching school rumble XD does anyone know where I can get the soundtrack I love it
Try RightStuf, they might have the soundtracks. Have you read School Rumble Z yet?

I will watch that "Boogiepop phantom" when I can get ahold of it....I'm watching "Kujibiki Unbalance" for the Genshiken eps. at the end...sigh
they should just do another season of "Genshiken" and just finish it with the manga! 
I also lost a bet and have to watch the entire "Magic User's Club"
Gambling is bad  :pedronooo:

exckilla

• ACROSS SUPER SECRET COMMANDER
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 25, 2008, 12:41:32 PM »
Last anime I watched was hell girl volume 3, bloody wierd is what I would say, at least in one of the episodes you saw one of the souls that made the convent with her go to hell, strange being happy about it though

E^D Crow

• Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 25, 2008, 03:33:44 PM »
I will watch that "Boogiepop phantom" when I can get ahold of it....I'm watching "Kujibiki Unbalance" for the Genshiken eps. at the end...sigh
they should just do another season of "Genshiken" and just finish it with the manga! 
I also lost a bet and have to watch the entire "Magic User's Club"
Gambling is bad  :pedronooo:
Boogiepop Phantom is so worth it.  I'm watching in on Animé Network, so I'm only up to episode 6.  My friend Paul has been really into it, as well.

I love Kujibiki Unbalance, and am eagerly awaiting the release of the final volume.  I have yet to watch the original Genshiken animé, but I have read up to volume 6 of the manga.  I really like how the Genshiken opening animation is the same as the Kuji-Un opening:  A leaf falls into water in Kuji-Un/a picture of the original Genshiken president falls into water, the Student Council-elect are on a windy rolling hillside/the Genshiken guys are on a windy rolling hillside, Ritsuko on a rooftop/Madarame on a rooftop...  I also really like the opening theme song for Kuji-Un, that harmonica in the beginning is just perfect.

E^D