Author Topic: What's the last anime you've seen?  (Read 141228 times)

galenow

• Across Star 1
  • "hey, hey, hey..."
    • View Profile
Re: What's the last anime you've seen?
« Reply #150 on: February 17, 2008, 05:22:04 PM »
 :kabapu-1:....
Disc 4 of "School Rumble", and the last two discs of "Full Metal Panic Fumoffu"... It always cheers me up and makes me think two things
1. Why can I work there?
2. It's an ANIME IDIOT!

Rika-chama

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 19, 2008, 12:57:07 PM »
Never seen fclc, or how ever it should be prenouced, but I have heard it is funny.

You need to get out there and watch it. It is such a funny and entertaining show. One of the best

As for me last I watched was Strawberry Panic episode 18. Pure shoujo-ai cheesecake  :egood:

Ni-paa~

exckilla

• ACROSS SUPER SECRET COMMANDER
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 19, 2008, 01:42:38 PM »
Started to watch elfen lied again, do like the horror animes wehether is about vampires, mutants, demons or vengeful spirits, also watach urotsukidoji recently aswell, great film.

E^D Crow

• Rev. Fr. Big Orange Nose Grabber, ACROSS chaplain
  • Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 19, 2008, 08:04:17 PM »
I thought Elfen Lied was great.

As shocking as it was touching, I really enjoyed it.  There aren't too many series' that make me cringe at some parts, while getting misty-eyed in others (sometimes both, during the same scene).  The deep feelings between each of the characters only makes the bloody violence seem more unnecessary, and all the more horrible.

E^d

Squirrellord

• ?????????????
  • Emergency food supply
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 19, 2008, 09:07:45 PM »
I thought Elfen Lied was great.

As shocking as it was touching, I really enjoyed it.  There aren't too many series' that make me cringe at some parts, while getting misty-eyed in others (sometimes both, during the same scene).  The deep feelings between each of the characters only makes the bloody violence seem more unnecessary, and all the more horrible.

E^d

Yeah, it was strange how you felt so much for Lucy, yet at the same time were absolutely frickin terrified of her XD.
What made the series so terrifying for me was not the insane gore, but the fact that any character could basically die at any time. There wasn't really anyone safe as long as Lucy was in the vicinity. They'd be standing there... and then simply explode. The tension of it, especially during those last episodes, was extreme.

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 20, 2008, 05:32:00 AM »
While I must say I prefer Higurashi to Elfen Lied, I got rather annoyed when the two were compared.  The only similarity they had between each other was a level of gore, and that was only in the main part of the 1st season of Higurashi, then I would see people griping about Kai and saying "Where's the gore?"  Urgh, stupid.

But I love both series, and agree that Elfen Lied had some very touching scenes, and plenty of disturbing ones - and frankly, the whole cousin relationship was a bit eeww, but Lucy was another case.  You felt bad for her because she was as much a victim as anyone else, and the monstrosity of her was caused more by nurture than nature, but she remained dangerous throughout.  Frankly if it was truer to the manga this feeling may not be there - events were changed at the end of the anime as opposed to the manga where things weren't so rosy.  Wish they would translate it, all I know comes from folks who have read it and know the differences.  Frankly, the anime sounds better in my mind for the way it ended.

As for what I have seen recently, I have been rewatching Rune Soldier, one of my most consistently rewatched animes.  It has some of the best voice acting and dialog of any comedic anime, and it's just fun.  Sure, it's not high art, but you have to admire a man who can poke fun at his own more dramatic creation (Ryo Mizuno, who also did Record of Lodoss War).

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

HA1L ILPALLAZZO

• I have returned
  • Spam Master
  • HA1L ILPALAZZO
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 20, 2008, 12:52:34 PM »
But I love both series, and agree that Elfen Lied had some very touching scenes, and plenty of disturbing ones - and frankly, the whole cousin relationship was a bit eeww
in japan even though it's very rare it isn't against the laaw to marry ones cousin (gross it might be but they can still do it)

Elfen lied is the only anime that my friend wil not watch as it has naked underage girls (understandable) and it is to violent for him (this from the guy who bought Ninja Scroll, Uritskudoji and Afro Samurai) plus the fact he feels there isn't a story (I know there is a story but he doesn't get it and when I try to explain he changes the subject)

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #157 on: February 20, 2008, 01:00:23 PM »
It's one of my fav anime... and there is DEFINITELY a story, heh.

Rika-chama

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 20, 2008, 01:10:49 PM »
While I must say I prefer Higurashi to Elfen Lied, I got rather annoyed when the two were compared.  The only similarity they had between each other was a level of gore, and that was only in the main part of the 1st season of Higurashi, then I would see people griping about Kai and saying "Where's the gore?"  Urgh, stupid.

I agree, as much as I love Elfen Lied I hate it when people compare it to Higurashi. They are nothing alike except that they both feature cute girls and gore. I thought it was funny when people where whining about there being little gore in Kai  :eevil:

Ni-paa~

exckilla

• ACROSS SUPER SECRET COMMANDER
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 20, 2008, 02:37:54 PM »
I do think the cousinly love in a lot oof these animes is creepy, I do think it was a piity that they only did 13 episodes of elfen lied and since I am from the uk, I never got to see this supposed episode 14 they released.

galenow

• Across Star 1
  • "hey, hey, hey..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 20, 2008, 03:31:41 PM »
 :kabapu-1:When the anime club got a ADV promo disc with 1st episode of elfen lied enclosed that was edited for clubs-It was the strangest thing it was about 5-10 min.s of show and the rest blood/violence was blocked/edited out for club use.
The members's either ducked and covered under the desks or rushed out of the meeting to buy the series. Probably what ADV had in mind...

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 20, 2008, 03:34:05 PM »
I do think the cousinly love in a lot oof these animes is creepy, I do think it was a piity that they only did 13 episodes of elfen lied and since I am from the uk, I never got to see this supposed episode 14 they released.

Actually, it was something like an episode 9.5 (or somewhere around there).  It's just a side story.

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #162 on: February 20, 2008, 06:26:43 PM »
Yeah, it explained more ties between Chief Kurama and Lucy... more of their past.

One of the things I like about Elfen Lied is how much the show is developed in just those 13 episodes. It does an amazing job with as little time as possible.

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 21, 2008, 05:36:12 AM »
The brevity of Elfen Lied I think enhanced its intensity - a LOT went on in those few episodes, but it didn't feel that rushed.

And yes there IS a story, but yeah it's definitely not an anime for everyone.  But I buy very few anime series, and after I rented the whole series there was no power in the verse what was going to stop me from owning it.  I very rarely feel that way about any show, anime or otherwise.  I own about 12 series, and I've never regretted buying a single one - I buy only what I love.

Now I'd absolutely adore buying Higurashi (please someone else pick it up!)

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 21, 2008, 05:42:45 AM »
The brevity of Elfen Lied I think enhanced its intensity - a LOT went on in those few episodes, but it didn't feel that rushed.

And yes there IS a story, but yeah it's definitely not an anime for everyone.  But I buy very few anime series, and after I rented the whole series there was no power in the verse what was going to stop me from owning it.  I very rarely feel that way about any show, anime or otherwise.  I own about 12 series, and I've never regretted buying a single one - I buy only what I love.
I have no explanation for why I don't like Elfen Lied.  I just... didn't like it.  I saw every episode, too.

Now I'd absolutely adore buying Higurashi (please someone else pick it up!)
I'd buy each disc on the day it was released. D: