Author Topic: What's the last anime you've seen?  (Read 141238 times)

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
Re: What's the last anime you've seen?
« Reply #165 on: February 21, 2008, 07:41:18 AM »
I have no explanation for why I don't like Elfen Lied.  I just... didn't like it.  I saw every episode, too.

Well you have no real reason to justify what you don't like - sometimes something just rubs us the wrong way.  We might not be able to put a finger on why, but there it is.  Opponents of Elfen Lied often leveled claims that the plot was too contrived, the characters were unrealistic in how they dealt with the incredible, and the nudity and gore was presented as being artistic, but that it was little more than a cover for exploitative material.  I can see how all these points are made, but I feel differently, especially since the nudity that was shown was never really erotic - it didn't have any sort of ecchi feel, and for me that's what the difference was.  It was an unusual situation for an anime with such a large amount of nudity, but it never felt like it was there for fanservice purposes.  Others argue, however, and that is fine.

I'd buy each disc on the day it was released. D:

You and me both, mate, you and me both.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

exckilla

• ACROSS SUPER SECRET COMMANDER
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 21, 2008, 12:24:58 PM »
Me too, anyone here a naruto fan, prehaps sommeone can tell me if that battle between sasuke and naruto is truly worth waiting for.

Not been watching much anime, well clone wars, buut thats more for the kids and starwars wierdos like myself.

Anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering, join us or die

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 21, 2008, 03:10:35 PM »
I'd say Naruto isn't worth watching at all.  But that's just my opinion.

Squirrellord

• ?????????????
  • Emergency food supply
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 21, 2008, 04:38:39 PM »
I'm a die-hard Naruto Fan.... when it comes to the manga. Can't stand the anime. So if you actually want to enjoy the series, just read it, it's sooo much better ;D
General Rule of Thumb: If it's a currently running Shonen Jump Manga, then the anime's gonna blow.
For those who are up to date, what's happening in Bleach? A guy at my campus was watching an episode in the commons, and it was already at the Hueco Mundo (sp) arc ._.; And in One Piece, they're already on Thriller Bark! As in, the arcs the manga's currently on...

E^D Crow

• Rev. Fr. Big Orange Nose Grabber, ACROSS chaplain
  • Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 21, 2008, 04:57:22 PM »
Quote from: Foggle
I have no explanation for why I don't like Elfen Lied.  I just... didn't like it.  I saw every episode, too.
I watched one episode of Steam detectives.  Didn't much care for it, can't say why, really.  I may check out one more.

Quote from: ElricJC
Well you have no real reason to justify what you don't like - sometimes something just rubs us the wrong way.  We might not be able to put a finger on why, but there it is.  Opponents of Elfen Lied often leveled claims that the plot was too contrived, the characters were unrealistic in how they dealt with the incredible, and the nudity and gore was presented as being artistic, but that it was little more than a cover for exploitative material.  I can see how all these points are made, but I feel differently, especially since the nudity that was shown was never really erotic - it didn't have any sort of ecchi feel, and for me that's what the difference was.  It was an unusual situation for an anime with such a large amount of nudity, but it never felt like it was there for fanservice purposes.  Others argue, however, and that is fine.
The scenes with nudity were usually uncomfortable to watch through the context, and some of the death scenes really got to me...  I've been known to get woozy if I look at a deep cut or real gore, but in a few scenes, I actually felt a little dizzy, and had to look away.  I was surprised by that reaction to what is essentially a cartoon.  That uncomfortable twinge extends through every part of the story.
Quote from: exckilla
Me too, anyone here a naruto fan, prehaps sommeone can tell me if that battle between sasuke and naruto is truly worth waiting for.

Not been watching much anime, well clone wars, buut thats more for the kids and starwars wierdos like myself.

Anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering, join us or die
I watched Naruto for a while, then kind of got bored with it.  I dunno, it just drags things out too long; they're always waiting for something to happen, and when they do fight, meh.  I do enjoy the manga a bit more, but not enough to actually buy the collected volumes.  What's printed in Shonen Jump is good enough for me.

Plus, I've always found the idea of a ninja wearing orange to be counterintuitive.

E^D

exckilla

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 22, 2008, 02:30:13 PM »
Watching a classic cartoon movie at the moment, I know it aint quite anime but the original lord of the rings truly was the best apart from the fact they never finished it which was a pity.

galenow

• Across Star 1
  • "hey, hey, hey..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 22, 2008, 06:51:12 PM »
  :kabapu-1: Just finished "The Special Duty Combat Unit: Shinesman" and "Dragon 1/2"! Both are worth their weight in gold....Humor for humor's sake and only the one disk's worth of episodes ever created for each!!!Soo sad...

Then I had to give the TV over to the family, ahh... the humanity of it all.

E^D Crow

• Rev. Fr. Big Orange Nose Grabber, ACROSS chaplain
  • Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 22, 2008, 09:19:00 PM »
  :kabapu-1: Just finished "The Special Duty Combat Unit: Shinesman" and "Dragon 1/2"! Both are worth their weight in gold....Humor for humor's sake and only the one disk's worth of episodes ever created for each!!!Soo sad...

Then I had to give the TV over to the family, ahh... the humanity of it all.
Dragon Half was pretty damn funny.  I got it in a Best Buy 2-pack with Puni Puni Poemy, and enjoyed both immensely.  They're still selling it... in Northeast New Jersey, at least.

I got a couple of friends (literally meaning two friends, who are a couple) into Kanon (2nd series).  They were pleased.
I love spreading the joy of animé.
:e_pleased:

E^D

exckilla

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 23, 2008, 01:52:17 PM »
Yes anime, anime and more anime, started to watch eureka 7 again, not too bad, just waiting for the last two volumes to be released now.

Commander, execute order 666

Squirrellord

• ?????????????
  • Emergency food supply
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 23, 2008, 02:02:51 PM »
Yes anime, anime and more anime, started to watch eureka 7 again, not too bad, just waiting for the last two volumes to be released now.

Commander, execute order 666

Oh, while not an anime, you need to read Deadman Wonderland by the author of Eureka 7. It's very good. Very.

Finally decided to watch Busou Renkin... been meaning too, but kept putting it off. Not too shabby, so far.

exckilla

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 24, 2008, 02:10:33 PM »
Do like Karin, its just a bit unfornate that my anime import dealer is closed down now.

Rika-chama

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 25, 2008, 05:39:11 PM »
Do like Karin, its just a bit unfornate that my anime import dealer is closed down now.

I preffered the manga (Chibi Vampire) over the anime. There's more substance in it I think and it is a little different from the anime  :egood:

Ni-paa~

exckilla

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 26, 2008, 02:55:32 PM »
I have been trying to get hold of the chibi vampire manga with no success. currently watching clonewars volumes 1 and 2.

HA1L ILPALLAZZO

• I have returned
  • Spam Master
  • HA1L ILPALAZZO
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 26, 2008, 05:35:50 PM »
I think it counts but SAMURAI PIZZA CATS  :ehail: and also I watched BLEACH  :ehail: and PANI PONI DASH  :ehail:

galenow

• Across Star 1
  • "hey, hey, hey..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 26, 2008, 07:38:56 PM »
SAMURAI PIZZA CATS, YOU ROCK! That anime is the BEST!!! I first saw that with my daughter MANY years ago and we both laughed a LOT....
Now look at us!..um, waitaminute... :kabapu-1: