Poll

Is anime generally too expensive?

Yes.
9 (60%)
No.
4 (26.7%)
I'm an evil person and stream or download mostly everything I want to see.
0 (0%)
HAIL IL PALAZZO!!! =P
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: May 03, 2007, 04:11:34 PM

Author Topic: The price to pay for anime.  (Read 5231 times)

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
The price to pay for anime.
« on: May 03, 2007, 04:11:34 PM »
You, anime, and your hard-earned $$$..

What do you think of the prices for anime titles in your area?
Are they ridiculously expensive for what you get, or are you satisfied for what you pay?

Who licenses the best priced titles? ADV, Geneon, Funimation, Bandai, etc...?

What stores, online or otherwise, sells for the best price?

Your thoughts and opinions please..

Poey

• Head of City Security
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 06:38:56 PM »
Actually, I'm impressed by how much cheaper it's been recently (as far as I can tell). Box sets are much cheaper than they used to be, and more available.

MincyMatsu

• Don't leave out the "!"
  • Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
  • On the internet, no one can hear you scream
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duke4.net
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 12:34:13 AM »
I said expensive, but only because of where i live...
It's not that easy to find places where they sell it for an acceptable price, and SIMULTANEOULSY get it with cheap/free shipping...

That said, Anime is not just like that to find in my Country... at least not box-sets and such... i have to buy these over-seas, and that can be a little too expensive sometimes, that is probably why i don't have so much atm...

There's a bunch i have thought of getting, but i refuse to pay the price, if shippingis as expensive as it is...

Then there's the issues with postal services... sometimes THEY require an unfair amount of money for delivering, while others do it for free... that's really bullshit...

Anime itself, i guess is "ok" in price... but going through all this, is a pain in the butt...
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

excel-kleinwald

• Dept of City Security
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 02:42:51 AM »
there is a reason I always buy manga... but that is only cuz I am poor

sephjnr

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 04:49:46 AM »
It's still slightly annoying that many individual volumes will go on sale for full price (£15 up) anywhere you're lucky to find them, and then suddenly get 50% price cuts when the box-sets come out for £30 :evil:

But for me it's not so much a price issue as a content issue. Anime is far harder to work at than manga, granted, but in my view 75min for £15 isn't good value, especially in the modern era where people will be paying that sort of cash for 15 HOURS of Lost / 24 / Sopranos etc. that surely must cost far more to make, right?

I'm just hoping that Gilgamesh in particular comes down a little bit- I know the last volume isn't on sale here for a bit but Rockworld (the goons showing it) are known to forget to air entire episodes and have their standard drivel on instead...

HA1L ILPALLAZZO

• I have returned
  • Spam Master
  • HA1L ILPALAZZO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 05:34:04 AM »
I'm Not really that bothered about the prices.

Normally the DVD's at HMV and Virgin are £20. but recently I've been seeing a wide variety of anime between £3.99 and £24.99 (Excel Saga for £7 anyone  :Ecool: ) and in virgin I've been seeing anime in the 5 for £30 section (I got hold of all of Fummoffu!! and the Last FMP DVD's in one go  XD )

because of this all my anime apart from Hellsing ultimate is ADV published  :Etoung:

Soske

• Head of City Security
  • Legend Killer
    • View Profile
    • Soske Reviews
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 07:22:49 AM »
I don't think it's expensive at all, but I know about places like RightStuf and DeepDiscountDVD.  Also, Best Buy usually prices the anime well.

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 01:25:41 PM »
I'm mostly satisifed with anime prices as they are, but only because I usually only buy box sets in thinpak.  Thus far most of my collection is ADV, which has seemed to be the best with thin pack and only three of my sets are in full sized cases.  And frankly, I prefer thinpak, because I can fit more anime into a tight space, and I've never been an extra feature monkey, but even then all my thinpak volumes have all the same feautures as the full sized versions.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

R Kenshin

• Bio Scientist
  • Toilet Cleaner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 12:52:17 PM »
I think I agree with most of you guys on this one. I voted yes anime IS in fact too expensive but that is because I make about close to minimum wage and I usually buy manga. I lean towards buying box sets only as they are the cheapest (the best being from ADV FILMS.) ADV doesn't neccessary makes the BEST box sets mind you but their prices tend to be great on their thin-packs and they usually turn a series into a thin-pack collection about a year after the series is over. I do not like Geneon only because they still having turnt the Count of Monte Cristo into a thin-pack which I am waiting for.
Roar, Roar, fight the power

jerky

• Toilet Cleaner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 07:02:21 PM »
A lot of people keep saying they buy manga because they are cheaper...

in my case it has been the opposite.
box sets have been cheaper than manga series because you can get them all at once
but manga so far I've only seen individually as they come out

one's that I have both of

____________manga  ______anime
excel saga   _____$ 150  _______  $ 90
midori days _____$ 60 _______ $ 35
ai yori aoshi  ____ $ 140 _______ $ 50
appiness is like a duck...
so watch more T.V.

R Kenshin

• Bio Scientist
  • Toilet Cleaner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 08:16:06 PM »
wow jerky you hit me right on the money. literally.
You are right that I have spent 150 (give or take due to taxes of special offers i get sometime) dollars on Excel Saga and only about 70 on excel saga anime..... maybe anime is cheaper.

One thing for certain is that I just get a better quality story.... for most things. I would rather read death note or Excel saga than watch their anime counterparts. However, Read or Die and other like Yu Yu Hakusho (yes I do like it) are much better in anime form.

HA1L ILPALLAZZO

• I have returned
  • Spam Master
  • HA1L ILPALAZZO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 12:34:51 PM »
hmm this isn't nesseceraly true. Excel Saga anime has cost me £120 (around $240) whereas the Manga has actually cost me (15 volumes in all) £75 of course this is due to special offers on the manga front.

R Kenshin

• Bio Scientist
  • Toilet Cleaner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 12:58:42 PM »
well you are right there. I usually shop for manga when I know there is some sort of "buy 2 and get 1 free" deal going on.

Inkwolf

• Social Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 05:14:15 PM »
The price of new-release anime hurts, I admit.

But I've gotten so many sweet deals online, off Ebay, Best Buy and Amazon, that I don't care. There's tons of older anime out there in box sets, and sometimes you can even get brand new, sealed, premium titles for rock-bottom prices.  If you're willing to settle for second-hand, or looking for less-well-known shows the prices get even sweeter.

(Only, you have to be really careful and make sure ahead of time you're getting the official release. If they say "It's not a bootleg it's an Import" nine out of ten times, it's an imported bootleg.)

DEFENSE!! DEFENSE!!___OFFENSE!! OFFENSE!!

R Kenshin

• Bio Scientist
  • Toilet Cleaner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 10:04:15 AM »
i actually bought the bootleg versions of Cowboy Bebop and R.O.D the tv series online at amazon.com. They were much cheaper than their 150 dollar counterparts and the slice in price was worth the little loss in quality. I don't really have extras to see but I do get to see the entire series with good color and sound.