Author Topic: The tragic fall of Watanabe  (Read 23322 times)

E^D Crow

• Rev. Fr. Big Orange Nose Grabber, ACROSS chaplain
  • Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
The tragic fall of Watanabe
« on: October 18, 2007, 09:04:06 AM »
To me, Watanabe was always the most "normal" of the men.  Sure, he is kind of a whiner, and woefully insecure when it comes to dealing with his feelings for Hayatt, but all he ever wanted was a normal, boring life.  What he got was madness and vague threats.

I never got the impression that his intentions toward Hayatt were ignoble.  He is a man, so of course sex is on his mind, but it never seemed to me that was the basis of his affection.  From the moment he saw her, he immediately fell in love, but has absolutely no idea what to do about it.  I thought it unfair that he was labeled a necrophiliac pervert by the others...that is, until his "Chihaya" willingly left him.  That was the final straw to rest upon this camel's broken back.  He finally snapped.  Marbles: lost.  Things that were beyond his control broke the man, and I find that to be sad.

Even if he is a necrophiliac pervert...

E^D

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
Re: The tragic fall of Watanabe
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 09:32:06 AM »
I never cared for Watanabe that much since he was such a whiny bitch, but you're right, of all the men in ES he had the most normal goals in life.  But the thing with Watanabe  is that in the beginning Rikdo was poking fun at other manga and using cliches and stereotypes to use as the stick.  Watanabe was the typical whiny, socially insecure loser who didn't know what to do with himself but knew "something" more was expected of him. 

I feel once Rikdo realized that this series would go beyond four volumes and was picking up steam, he started to more thoroughly develop the characters and Watanabe was being fleshed out a bit more, and then he after many, many volumes of near-misses looked like he was going to throw the dog a bone.  But we knew he really wouldn't let Watanabe have it and he snatched the bone away, leading to...

Super Creepy Watanabe Ver. 2.0!, yes, that S&M loving freak whose fragile little world was sundered apart and is now filling the role of another stereotype, the creepy hentai otaku. 

And I must admit, I enjoy him a lot more now that his spirit is broken than when was just a whiny loser.  I mean after Momochi gave him the order to scrape off obscene stickers and he replies "This is what I call a perk" with that creepy look on his face, and then he's ordered to bring them back and burn them, "must we burn allof them?"  I laughed my butt off.

You go Watanabe!  Stay the creepy freak you are now, maybe until near the end when Rikdo lets him have a little.  Not all, just a little...

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Agent Kego

• Emergency food supply
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 09:33:03 AM »
The story of Watanabe really is tragic and shows how people can be utterly devastated by love gone wrong. I hope things all workout for him in the end and he finds a nice quiet anemic girl who isn't a member of a secret society to settle down with.
(But I have to agree that for now, it is funny)

Uncreativity

• Solarian Princess
  • Dept of City Security
  • KANIMISO!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 11:10:28 AM »
I'm with ElricJC - I like Watanabe a LOT more now.

Honestly, I always thought he was creepy anyway, like Charlie from Lost. My roommate thinks he's cute and sweet, but I'm just like, "You know he's a weird little crack hobbit who spends his time stalking this lady and her baby, right? :e_confused:" Watanabe is the same way. Yeah, he's sometimes really helpful to the girls by giving Hyatt stuff, but he's also practically stalking her. I'VE DATED BOYS LIKE THAT. IT IS CREEPY.

E^D Crow

• Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 12:49:21 PM »
Yeah it's almost outright stalking, being they lived in the same building(s) for so long.  Any time they saw each other away from the apartment, it was a "coincedence" (usually something planned by Kabapu and/or Il Palazzo).

I tried to understand his social ineptness, and apprehension when dealing with Hayatt.  At first, I thought, 'Well, maybe he's just really, really shy?'  But it kept getting worse...hiding when he saw her, endlessly pining from afar, zoning out into fantasies... yeah, that was creepy.

The series of events that broke the man are tragic, but I wouldn't want it any other way.  He is more interesting, now.  I almost hope for a further downward spiral.

E^D

Agent Kego

• Emergency food supply
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 02:45:02 PM »
Yeah it's almost outright stalking, being they lived in the same building(s) for so long.  Any time they saw each other away from the apartment, it was a "coincedence" (usually something planned by Kabapu and/or Il Palazzo).

I tried to understand his social ineptness, and apprehension when dealing with Hayatt.  At first, I thought, 'Well, maybe he's just really, really shy?'  But it kept getting worse...hiding when he saw her, endlessly pining from afar, zoning out into fantasies... yeah, that was creepy.

The series of events that broke the man are tragic, but I wouldn't want it any other way.  He is more interesting, now.  I almost hope for a further downward spiral.

E^D

Oh yeah it's all fun and games... untill he really does become what his friends mistakenly accused him of and murders her!  :hdead:

E^D Crow

• Head of City Security
  • Do Not Read This!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 05:53:03 PM »
Oh yeah it's all fun and games... untill he really does become what his friends mistakenly accused him of and murders her!  :hdead:
Tragedy is always fun... when it is not happening to you.

I'm not sure Watanabe can kill Hayatt.  First of all, Il Palazzo would not let that happen, secondly, she would die, herself, before he had a chance (both may actually be the same thing).

E^D

Randamo

• Special Municipal Force Daitenzin Member
  • You're not my Master Chief, and that's okay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 12:49:51 AM »
i like the wantanabe who was overly swept up or smitten with his cute neighbour, but he was normal, that is, until he met dead hyatt in the sewer. he told his freinds and they thought he was a pervert, making him think he was one.
i was sorta hoping he'd get with hyatt, because, well, it was the only romance story in the book and it was sorta interesting. they were cute too.
i gotta say i dont care now though. perverted wantanbe is funny, but when he finally gets back with hyatt, he'll revert to his normal self(at least, i think). she'd never go with a sadistic pervert like him right now, cause she's just too sweet.
as thick as she is, she's gotta notice the creepy.

Agent Kego

• Emergency food supply
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 02:59:56 PM »
Tragedy is always fun... when it is not happening to you.

I'm not sure Watanabe can kill Hayatt.  First of all, Il Palazzo would not let that happen, secondly, she would die, herself, before he had a chance (both may actually be the same thing).

E^D

Well 'twas just a joke suggestion, although.... Wouldn't it be kind of funny if Watanabe thought he killed Hyatt? I can't think of a way to set it up right now, but it could be intresting.

Randamo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 09:35:23 PM »
the only way to kill hyatt is directly. you know what i mean by that.
she may live forever at this rate. in some ways she is stronger than other people.

Agent Kego

• Emergency food supply
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 09:02:45 AM »
the only way to kill hyatt is directly. you know what i mean by that.
she may live forever at this rate. in some ways she is stronger than other people.

You know she just might.

Randamo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 09:52:59 PM »
it would just be petty after all that's happened if she died from something such as age it gotta be something else.

Dr. Iwata

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 08:02:44 AM »
I'm with those who have always thought that Watanabe was a creepy git all along.

As for the others making fun of him and calling him a pervert etc. where as Iwata and Sumiyoshi were probably just poking fun at him I wouldn't be suprised at all if Misaki was being %100 serious and always saw right through Watanabe's "affection" for Hyatt.

This is mainly based on memory since I have not read the Manga in a while though I'll probably get started again soon to get ready for V.17's release so there may be some mistakes in my post.

Think about it Watanabe's fantasies usually revolved around Hyatt being weak and needing him and since she ditched him he has now become a creepy S&M game playing freak plus whenever he was in a position with Hyatt being helpless his motivations for wanting to help were hardly ever noble such as when they were stranded at sea for example.

It is all about control fot Watanabe and he has simply gone from one extreme to the other.

Well that or I am making to much of things lol.

Plus I also doubt that Kabapu has brainwashed Watanabe mainly because if so then why would he not brainwash the others as well?, perhaps Kabapu revealed some sort of secret to Watanabe.

But either way Watanabe has turned into the one of the most interesting characters in the entire series.

And he was always stalking Hyatt imo, it simply got worse as time progressed.

exckilla

• ACROSS SUPER SECRET COMMANDER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 11:35:55 AM »
Never liked watanabe, deserves what he gets really, like losing the girl of his dreams, funny though, and I do not pity the weak or pathetic

Randamo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 06:55:40 PM »
at times he would show a shred of dignity, but that's been washed clean now, huh!?

to be honest, i wonder why he likes hyatt. we know we like hyatt because we've seen so much more of her, but he would go days, weeks, months of time not seeing or talking to her. to be honest, if things worked like that, we'd all have more people falling for us ourselves.
he's pretty shallow then. you wonder why he hasn't met anyone else in all these years.