Author Topic: The Orange Box is so Awesome  (Read 5242 times)

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
The Orange Box is so Awesome
« on: October 20, 2007, 07:39:41 PM »
Every game in the Orange Box is epic.  Team Fortress 2 is an amazing multi player shooter, Portal is a damn fun puzzle game, and the Half Life series (namely, Half Life 2 and its expansion Episodes) are single player gaming at it's finest.

Discuss how awesome the Orange Box is, why the Orange Box is so awesome, and how much better the Orange Box is than Halo 3.

Thatman

• Unemployed
  • U didn't kill me u only killed my stunt double
    • View Profile
    • Gunshot
Re: The Orange Box is so Awesome
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 09:03:02 PM »
i guess ur not a halo fan  :lordilsmile:

and it has half-life in it...nuff said about it awesomeness :ehail:

And Team fortress and Portal are just pure pwnage

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 07:22:37 AM »
Nah, I like Halo, but the Orange Box has much better games, IMO.

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 11:14:00 AM »
I have yet to play any of the Half-Life games, but not a soul has ever spoken ill of them, especially Half-Life 2.  But I still like Halo 3, only played some of the campaign mode, and the multiplayer mode once you get used to the different controls.  And I cannot with hold my psychotic glee when I got my hands on a grav hammer - though I've been told the gravity gun near the end of Half-Life 2 is just plain fun too, launching bodies into other people.  Yeah, sounds like my kind of weapon.

I, however, am poor and a 360 is not in my near future.  Were I to get a system it would likely be the Wii due to the next wave of games being more to my liking (Fire Emblem, NiGHTS, and more).

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 12:41:30 PM »
I have yet to play any of the Half-Life games, but not a soul has ever spoken ill of them, especially Half-Life 2.  But I still like Halo 3, only played some of the campaign mode, and the multiplayer mode once you get used to the different controls.  And I cannot with hold my psychotic glee when I got my hands on a grav hammer - though I've been told the gravity gun near the end of Half-Life 2 is just plain fun too, launching bodies into other people.  Yeah, sounds like my kind of weapon.

I, however, am poor and a 360 is not in my near future.  Were I to get a system it would likely be the Wii due to the next wave of games being more to my liking (Fire Emblem, NiGHTS, and more).

Why not just get the PC version?  Almost any computer with an internet connection and a DirectX 9 video card can run all of the games in the Orange Box.  Not to mention that it's cheaper than the 360 version.

Here are the System Requirements, my comments in bold:

Minimum:
1.7 GHz processor (if your computer's processor isn't at least this good, then I want to know how you even made it to the forum :laugh:), 512 MB RAM (most computers made after 2002 come with this built in), DirectX 8 compatible video card (any computer from between 2001-2003 will have one of these integrated), Windows 2000/XP/Vista (I'm sure you have Windows XP :P), Internet Connection (no comment)
Recommended:
Pentium 4 processor (3.0 GHz or better) (mine isn't this good, but it still runs perfectly), 1 GB RAM (I have this, but I've played Half Life 2 on 512 MB RAM, and there isn't a significant difference), DirectX 9 compatible video card (you probably have one of these)

ElricJC

• Part-Time Monkey God
  • Head of City Security
  • Burn, baby, burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 01:58:32 PM »
Well for one I didn't know the Orange Box was also made in PC version :), though that is very good to know.  And I barely meet the minimum requirements (I run a 1.875 Ghz AMD Athalon processor, but due to high cyclic speeds it runs like a 2.1+), and barely, I mean barely, meet the RAM standards (I do need to upgrade my RAM though, I couldn't even play CIV IV on this computer, despite the fact that I met its minimal requirements too).  My puter is a custom made 2002 model, but its becoming very obsolete now.  Maybe when I get my new parts (namely a new motherboard, video card, audio card, RAM, and processor - okay, I'm getting new everything except hard drive, I may just add on).  When I do I might look into the Orange Box.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 02:02:38 PM »
Well for one I didn't know the Orange Box was also made in PC version :), though that is very good to know.  And I barely meet the minimum requirements (I run a 1.875 Ghz AMD Athalon processor, but due to high cyclic speeds it runs like a 2.1+), and barely, I mean barely, meet the RAM standards (I do need to upgrade my RAM though, I couldn't even play CIV IV on this computer, despite the fact that I met its minimal requirements too).  My puter is a custom made 2002 model, but its becoming very obsolete now.  Maybe when I get my new parts (namely a new motherboard, video card, audio card, RAM, and processor - okay, I'm getting new everything except hard drive, I may just add on).  When I do I might look into the Orange Box.

By processor, they mean a 1.8 GHz Intel, which is significantly slower than AMD.  I have a 2.4 GHz AMD myself, which came built into my computer.

I hadn't upgraded my RAM the first time I played Half Life 2 (it barely met the minimum, as does yours) but it ran smoothly with only slight amounts of lag at times, which was probably caused by my terrible 128 MB DirectX 8 video card.

E-E

• Head of City Security
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 04:19:01 PM »
Ahhh the 1year wait was worth it, portal turned out great ep2 is epic and ep3 HAS GOT TO HAVE THE PORTAL GUN.they set it up so obiously in the 2 games,portal serves just as training for when ep3 comes around, got me the 360 version did want the pc version to fit in with all my Half-life game, but i know it will run smooth on the 360 so what the hell.

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 05:12:17 PM »
*Half-Life 2 Episode 2 spoilers*

Yeah, the Borealis has something to do with Aperture Science, so there's a 95% chance that Gordon will get a Portal gun in Episode 3.  Then, they should make a new version of Half Life 2 Deathmatch with the Portal gun.  That would be ubertacular.

Soske

• Head of City Security
  • Legend Killer
    • View Profile
    • Soske Reviews
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 07:46:23 PM »
THE CAKE IS A LIE!

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 07:54:06 PM »

Nabeshin_1040

• Electrofag
  • Special Municipal Force Daitenzin Member
    • View Profile
    • Mah Mahspace
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 11:37:29 AM »
i use to do that all the time, when i was still running windows, like a loooooser. my setup was all about excel saga, from icons to cursors to the ever so frequent error messages.

Music is love

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2007, 11:56:51 AM »
i use to do that all the time, when i was still running windows, like a loooooser. my setup was all about excel saga, from icons to cursors to the ever so frequent error messages.
What do you use now?  If you say Mac, I'll hurt you.  Linux FTW.

Nabeshin_1040

• Electrofag
  • Special Municipal Force Daitenzin Member
    • View Profile
    • Mah Mahspace
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2007, 09:12:17 PM »

macfaaaaag aleeeert. it's for me.

Music is love

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2007, 07:41:05 AM »

macfaaaaag aleeeert. it's for me.

I'm tempted to post a certain 4Chan Mac User picture I found, but I'd probably get banned. ;D