Author Topic: English Excel Saga Vol. 24  (Read 11344 times)

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Damn, a security crate!
    • View Profile
Re: English Excel Saga Vol. 24
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 06:52:06 PM »
hmm... The date of that article goes back to '04. It wasn't a recent change. Not nearly as recent as I once thought.
Yeah, I always figured it would have been around the time the Excel Saga releases started slowing down. :o

Carl Horn

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 06:17:50 PM »
In the immortal words of Professor Farnsworth, "Good news, everyone!" I just wanted to drop in to confirm that Excel Saga Vol. 24 is in fact coming out this November. I also wanted to ask (since we had such a good "Oubliette" last time) readers to contribute more fan art, photos, letters, etc., as the case may be. Unfortunately, time is very short to get Vol. 24 together, so I would need it by the end of the month...

Thank you very much for supporting Excel Saga!

SWamP

• Unpaid Translator
  • Toilet Cleaner
  • In your house, cooking your pets.
    • View Profile
    • Efexsagá
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 04:59:21 PM »
Vol. 24 is in fact coming out this November.

*happy dance*

Duomaxwe

• God of Death
  • Emergency food supply
  • God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 04:28:43 AM »
Ah awesome the actual translator of Excel Saga himself.

That's great news that it's coming out in November, the year long wait between April 10th to April 10th was a bit ridiculous, even though that's my birthday ;)

Lord Il

• Spam Master
  • We are .org. Resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
    • Armitage's Dimension
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2012, 05:18:18 PM »
That's the best breath of fresh air I've ever had in a looooong time. I'm really glad we got this confirmed!
Thanks for the fantastic news, Carl! :ehail:

Let's all show our love for the Excel Saga manga and get a ton of material submitted for the Oubliette! :elcool:

coreye

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2012, 11:17:12 AM »
Really nice to see that the wait won't be as long as expected....I was on pins and needles after finishing Vol. 23.

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2012, 11:05:18 AM »
In the immortal words of Professor Farnsworth, "Good news, everyone!" I just wanted to drop in to confirm that Excel Saga Vol. 24 is in fact coming out this November. I also wanted to ask (since we had such a good "Oubliette" last time) readers to contribute more fan art, photos, letters, etc., as the case may be. Unfortunately, time is very short to get Vol. 24 together, so I would need it by the end of the month...

Thank you very much for supporting Excel Saga!
Yay! Thanks for dropping by to deliver this awesome news! :im_nabeshin:

how did I miss this post? haha

Sean Gaffney

• Emergency food supply
    • View Profile
    • A Case Suitable for Treatment
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2012, 02:57:01 PM »
It's here!  Who else got their copy today?

MincyMatsu

• Don't leave out the "!"
  • Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
  • On the internet, no one can hear you scream
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duke4.net
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2012, 03:08:36 PM »
Mine might have arrived, but it's a different address, so I wouldn't know until i get the opportunity to check it..!
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2012, 09:29:04 AM »
Good volume. Kind of hit and miss, though. The first chapter, for instance, seems really phoned in due to constant art hiccups along with many of the jokes falling flat and uncharacteristic dialogue. #2 is an improvement, but still below par IMO - no big laughs and very little wit. Thankfully, missions 3-5 are excellent (5 being my favorite), with many hilarious scenes and some great character interaction. One part of chapter 5 made me put the book down since I was laughing so much! Chapter 6 is also good, but not that funny. It's a serious chapter, but more interesting than usual. I can't tell you why it works so well though, because that would be a spoiler. :P

As for characters, I felt that Iwata and Watanabe were far and away the highlights of this volume. Perhaps not in the way you'd expect, but I guarantee that longtime readers will love them in this installment. ;) Misaki and Kabapu have some great moments as well, while Elgala and Sumiyoshi are as charming as ever. I didn't much care for Excel in this volume, but I do believe that may have been intentional on Rikdo's part (and I'll say no more!).

I'd probably put this one near the bottom of my list, but it's still good. None of the volumes are actually bad, after all. There's fun to be had, but it seems like there's too much plot and not enough jokes throughout, whereas books 19-23 struck a healthy balance between both, making them some of my all time favorites. Though it's worth noting that I didn't really like #21 on my first reading, so maybe this one will improve upon re-reads. We shall see!

Sean Gaffney

• Emergency food supply
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2012, 06:34:55 AM »
My long rambling thoughts on the volume are here:  http://suitablefortreatment.mangabookshelf.com/2012/11/17/excel-saga-vol-24/

MincyMatsu

• Don't leave out the "!"
  • Global Moderator
  • Spam Master
  • On the internet, no one can hear you scream
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duke4.net
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2012, 07:01:29 AM »
I'd read it, but does it contain spoilers..? Kinda wanna read it myself first if that's the case :o
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

Foggle

• Mr. Pink
  • Administrator
  • Senior Staff Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2012, 08:47:38 AM »
I agree that the characterization in this volume was brilliant, particularly of Watanabe and Umi (and I really don't like Umi). Still wish it was funnier, though; I feel that there were a lot of missed opportunities for great humor in this book. Some parts were definitely too serious for my taste.

I'd read it, but does it contain spoilers..? Kinda wanna read it myself first if that's the case :o
Yep. I'd advise waiting 'til you read the volume before looking at his thoughts to keep from ruining any surprises. ;)

Sean Gaffney

• Emergency food supply
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2012, 02:19:05 PM »

It's spoilerriffic, yes.  ^^;;

Randomness

• Unemployed
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2012, 11:36:40 PM »
I have received my copy. I do not understand a single thing anymore.

So, I just noticed a theme basically. For the past lots of volumes, we've been on one Excel identity crisis after another. And we still don't know (unless we've been spoiled) what her true identity is even supposed to be so its been kind of an underlying identity crisis all along I guess.

But anyway I guess the general thing to say is that this was a good volume.

Edit: Sean, cool review. You really hit those points.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 11:40:38 PM by Randomness »